• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie 4064 powder question

199thINF

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2009
Spokane, WA
I am new to the reloading business and was questioning whether or not to get into it at this time as the components are so hard to get ahold of. Some of the primers seem to be coming available so I bought some. My question is: How much powder am I going to need? I'm shooting a bolt 308 WIN and want to shoot the 168 grain bullets. What is a rough estimate for how many rounds I could produce with 1 pound of 4064 powder? Please feel free to rate how dumb/n00b of a question this is!!

Thanks
smile.gif

Re: Newbie 4064 powder question

Depends on your chg wt, @ 42grs, figure close to 167rds.
1# = 7000grs..................
Divide your charge wt (grs) into that, and you will be close.

Well, I know people used to tell me it was cheaper to reload your ammo instead of just buying it but I don't know anymore. It does seem like it is hard to find some components right now, and then you still pay a good bit of cash into them when they are to be found and purchased. I suppose the question you would need to ask yourself is; Do you shoot enough to warrant the expense of the components and your time or is it good enough to just buy a supply of ammo that will work for your needs.

I prefer to load my own, but I have a lot of money invested into reloading equipment spread out over 20 years and I don't make it to the range nearly as often as I once did. I hear it is hard to find ammo these days as well, so I don't know if one way is better or the other.

I actually like IMR 4064 for the lighter weight 308 bullets. I have had good luck with hunting projectiles with it. When using it for matches year round, you may get more velocity difference due to temp swings. But for hunting/plinking, it works very well and I would recommend it.