• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Newbie and My First Precision Rifle

Stoutthedog

Private
Minuteman
It's all finally together almost the way I want it. 300 Win Mag from GA Precision. I'll see if the suppressor can make this rifle more user friendly. I don't like the eye relief I'm getting with the LaRue SPR scope mount so that will need to be changed already. And I removed the Badger brake for the AAC Brakeout so the Cerakote is missing at the end of the barrel and will need fixing. Otherwise, shoots great at a bit over 104 meters. I'll be clearing the 500 meter area in the backyard starting this weekend.

I'll need to find a long range shooting class in central Texas around San Antonio. So if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

GAP300WMAICS2001.jpg

GAP300WMAICS2002.jpg

Re: Newbie and My First Precision Rifle

Looks like a beauty! What scope is on there?

Keep us posted, hopefully with a range report.

Nice stick, just get you a set of Seekins rings and that should allow you to fix the eye relief issue you mention. Happy shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a beauty! What scope is on there? </div></div>

Glass is a NightForce 3.5-15x56 second focal plane with the MLR reticle and MOA fast stop turrets. I have no idea why you would package Mil reticle with MOA adjustment. It is what it is and I'll just have to figure it out. There has got to be a class just to figure it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stoutthedog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a beauty! What scope is on there? </div></div>

Glass is a NightForce 3.5-15x56 second focal plane with the MLR reticle and MOA fast stop turrets. I have no idea why you would package Mil reticle with MOA adjustment. It is what it is and I'll just have to figure it out. There has got to be a class just to figure it out.
</div></div>

That's a PITA, to be sure, but you can make it work with time. A good work-around might be just to use to reticle for ranging (at the correct magnification, or else the SFP reticle won't be right, unless you want to convert for that as well) and rely on a good range card for your dope in MOA. For holdover, you'll either have to memorize the conversion or write it out next to your range card or something.

If you're looking for a shooting class, I can't really help for central, but Tac Pro Shooting Center is in Mingus, Texas (about an hour west of Fort Worth, where I am) and I've heard good things about their classes. It's a 2-3 day affair, so you'd have to get a hotel, but I've heard it's worth it. Once I have the time, I'll probably sign up for one myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stoutthedog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a beauty! What scope is on there? </div></div>

</div></div>

Super nice rig sir! NF used to offer reticle change services for 2-300$. Or you can try and trade it for a moa moa or mil mil. I have a bastard scope like you with MLR and MOA turrets.

Looking good. Really went to town with the "buy once, cry once" motto. Real nice setup OP.

Congrats on the new stick...Yea you got to get that mount changed out. I think the idea of having nf change the reticle will be a must aswell.

I have a scope with Mil/MOA. Like Equitum said, use the reticle for ranging, and dope the turrets. It's not that tough, and a ballistics app like 'Shooter' will make it stupid easy - both to dial in the numbers, and to build a dope card.

Beautiful rifle, by the way!

Nice setup. Those Larue mounts are designed for AR's, definitely get some rings that will drop that scope down and allow you to bring it back a bit. GL on finding a class.

Dib

I'll be calling around today to see who stocks Seekens rings in San Antonio.

I made a detailed MLR reticle description that should get me going for a while. I used the NightForce pdf and just moved the descriptions to the proper locations. I'm sure someone has done this before but I could not find anything. I'm not sure how to ad a document link but here's an image of the reticle sheet.
MLRReticle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice setup. Those Larue mounts are designed for AR's, definitely get some rings that will drop that scope down and allow you to bring it back a bit.
Dib </div></div>

Agreed. In hindsight, there is no need for QD rings on this rifle. It just sounded like a good idea at the time.

yeah, definitely going all out for your first rig, very impressive

get a range report on here pronto once you figure out what it likes to shoot.

nice job

If your gonna stay with that Nightforce scope, try some nightforce rings they might help your eye relief problem and are an exact fit for their scopes which is something your gonna want to consider with the 300wm. LaRue makes great stuff for AR's like Dibby said, at the most a short action caliber for a bolt gun, for that QD mount to work you have to adjust the QD levers tighter and constantly check them especially with a 300wm. Like I said check out some Nightforce rings you won't be disappointed. Other than the mount, great start on the rig.

For a shooting class look at North Texas Rifle Precision. He has a place for you to stay and a 1 mile range. Best range in north texas for sure. It will be well worth your trip up there.

Nice rifle and good work with the reticle.

Long live John T. Floore's country store!

-tf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasfrog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long live John T. Floore's country store!

-tf </div></div>

Hell yea!

I'm looking at Spartan Tactical in Keller, TX right now. They got a recommendation from Alamo Tactical.

Right on, I bought some stuff from Alamo Tactical before, good folks there. Don't forget Hills and Dales, lots of beer in that joint!

-tf

There you go. You shouldn't have a problem selling the LaRue mount for a decent price.

Very nice rifle! That new mount will make it much easier on your neck.

That is a very nice rig Stoutthedog. Looks much better with the new rings. What is your bullet/load that you are shooting? Just curious.

Being my first long gun, I've only bought a couple of boxes of commercially available ammunition from Bass Pro. Hornady Custom 165 gr BTSP and 180 gr SP. I've only shot 4 rounds of the 180's.

At some point I'll get into reloading these rifle rounds which will entail an upgrade to the Dillon Square Deal I use now for pistol loading. I really like the automatic progressives. The Superformance numbers are interesting and I was surprised to see the powder available for sale. I'd read in American Rifleman, I think, that they would not offer the powder. Hmmmm.

Well the rifle shoots about 5 inches low at 100 meters with the suppressor attached. But is sounds like a pellet gun! I was just amazed and sound reduction. That was 5 hours ago and I'm still grinning.

Groups were larger than I had hoped for. But my skills are certainly to blame. I'm going to buy some inexpensive ammo for trigger time and find a course to help me develop my shooting skills.

The can was awsome!

Nice rifle, congration. Tell us more about shooting with your suppressor attached. We, here, in California, can't have any evil features.....

Lots of dry fires.... And for me inexpensive ammo just makes it worse because there is nothing more frustrating than shooting big ass circles just my .2 cents but very nice rifle. Gotta reload man so much cheaper and more accurate it's like owning a corvette and driving it with bald tires nomader how much u push it the performance will never be there....