• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Bullet choice

JxMAN25

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2011
Salem Oregon
hey guys. im just starting out in long range stuff but have been reloading pistol for a while. I just got my single stage press in the mail yesterday and am in need of bullets. Im not sure what bullet to get and where to get it. Ill be using them out to 1000yds eventually in a .308/ so far my choices are sierra matchking 155gr or 175gr. or is there another bullet i should be considering aswell? also where can i get them for cheap with a bulk order. thanks in advance. ~Jesse

Re: Newbie Bullet choice

As a begining reloader and long range shooter I'd recommend sticking to the tried and proven loads using those bullets. Once you have some experience it'll be time to experiment some. I'm not sure who I'd recmmend to buy from. Midway has good prices but shipping can be high. You may be able to find a bulk purchase with other local shooters to bring shipping down.

either will work.you will have to push the 155 a little harder but both will work.and for ordering them I would say Midway,PowdervalleyINC.and Midsouth are all good for me.Varget,R15,4895 either one,4064 are some choices of powder.and Varget being my first.

but more info on your rifel would be nice.like the twist and length.

If you are new at this, just go with the 175 Sierra Matchking's. Easy to load and accurate at most seating depths. The 155's not so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are new at this, just go with the 175 Sierra Matchking's. Easy to load and accurate at most seating depths. The 155's not so much.

</div></div> ok. but where is the cheapest place to get them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JxMAN25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are new at this, just go with the 175 Sierra Matchking's. Easy to load and accurate at most seating depths. The 155's not so much.

</div></div> ok. but where is the cheapest place to get them?</div></div>

I buy most of my stuff at Powder Valley. Great service and usually the lowest or very close to lowest prices.

You never did say what twist and length of your barrel. If you want to shoot the 155's (and the Berger 155.5 is the best of the 155's) you need a 13 or 14 twist and a 28-30" barrel for the best accuracy for that bullet. That's what those 155 gr bullets were made for. You would also have to push them over 2900 fps.

Make life simple.... go with the 175 SMK's and shoot them in all .308's. You'll notice in my signature that I am shooting Berger 185 BTLR in my rifle. I have a 10 twist and these are the best bullets at 1000 yards for me. YMMV.

My FN likes the Scenar 155's the best, but the 175's are a fine bullet as well...

My M25 likes M118LR duplicates

175 Sierra projectile
42 work up to 44 gr RL15 powder (4895 also works)

I believe the mil spec calls for 44 gr RL15.
I usually stay around 42.3 comfortably.

Also you could try a 168 gr Projectile with RL15 - good combo!