• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie looking for first precision rifle advice

I run a 7.5 twist but with a bigger case (no manbun here lol) in order to run solids as well as all the cup and core projectiles. If just cup and core and just factory ammo, an 8 twist will be fine. However, if you get into it at all, you will be reloading soon enough, and you may want the flexibility to run monos.

Triggers, I have TT Diamond, Tacsport Pro, and Jewell BR. The TT feels digital, the Jewell feels like finely tuned analog, and the Tacsport Pro, somewhere in-between. Any are great, but the TT would be my recommendation if you don't have a preference for feel.

Could be a good option for you

For that g3 razor get a 30 percent off Vortex certificate from the px. Usually go for 200. It's a 900 savings from eurooptic. So 700 to the good.
Where are the 30% certificates? I am looking at ordering the scope (Vortex Razor 6-36x56 Gen 3) and aren't familiar with how the PX certificates work. Seems the MSRP is $4k but europtic & opticsplanet both have a $3k price. Then Opticsplanet has 10% off & free shipping, which essentially negates tax, so I'm at $3k shipped for the scope for the best price I can find. I say all that because if the 30% off certificate from vortex is off MSRP, I'm better off doing the Opticsplanet order as far as I can tell.

Payed the deposit with Altus this morning for the BA.
-Action: Zermatt Origin
-Barrel: Bartlein 26" 308 M24 threaded 1:10 twist
-Muzzle brake: Area 419 Hellfire Match self-timing
-Trigger: Triggertech Diamond (Pro curved)
-All black cerakated

The rifle I'm putting together is a direct product of this thread so thanks again to all who input.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Where are the 30% certificates? I am looking at ordering the scope (Vortex Razor 6-36x56 Gen 3) and aren't familiar with how the PX certificates work. Seems the MSRP is $4k but europtic & opticsplanet both have a $3k price. Then Opticsplanet has 10% off & free shipping, which essentially negates tax, so I'm at $3k shipped for the scope for the best price I can find. I say all that because if the 30% off certificate from vortex is off MSRP, I'm better off doing the Opticsplanet order as far as I can tell.

-All black cerakated

The rifle I'm putting together is a direct product of this thread so thanks again to all who input.

Told you earlier to get the G3 from Scott at LibertyOptics...

Reactions: Mauser4me
Told you earlier to get the G3 from Scott at LibertyOptics...
Yes you did. Remembering that now. Alot of info about everything from chassis to trigger to action to scope. Can't keep it all straight, sorry about that.

Couldn't find his info hunting through the PX looking for his contact or 'vendor page' if that's a thing. But found his website directly. Not sure if I need to contact him through the forum for the discount.

-All black cerakated

Check the px people win these at matches and then sell them here. Theres a guy selling one now for 165 BUT do your do diligence as far as buying on the px. Check feedback etc. So go to the buy-sell-trade section and look there.

☝️ This guy just figured out how Vortex works.

Gives 30% off MSRP certs and discounts out like candy. But then maintains the highest discrepancy between MAP and MSRP in the market.

Thanks Vortex, lol
Its 30 off map

Yes you did. Remembering that now. Alot of info about everything from chassis to trigger to action to scope. Can't keep it all straight, sorry about that.

Couldn't find his info hunting through the PX looking for his contact or 'vendor page' if that's a thing. But found his website directly. Not sure if I need to contact him through the forum for the discount.

His website is lacking to say the least, but he is a good guy with some great deals, especially vortex. Ongoing thread below - PM him, call him, etc.

edit: IMHO if you are looking at ~3K for the G3, get the Burris XTR Pro for under 2K, or the XTR3i for just over 1K. I prefer the G3 for glass, but not by much, and I got them for very low ~2K's.

Last edited:
So need one more bit of advice/help. Pretty much everything is on order at this point, except for the rings. I've decided to go with the ARC M-Brace rings. What I need help with is choosing the ring height. With the Zermatt Origin action, does the bolt handle need consider clearance? No idea how to check that until I have it in my hands. The barrel is the stright M24 contour. And the scope is the Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 (34 mm tube).

From what I calculate, the 56mm objective, plus conservative 4mm tube thickess (can't find the exact tube thickness), over 2 ([56+4]/2) gives me a 30mm height minimum. The 34mm M-Brace rings come in 32mm & 36mm heights. Assuming I'm doing this correctly, it is a choice between the two, but I know the lower the scope the better so leaning towards 32mm. Was wondering if someone could confirm either:
1. I can get away with 32mm
2. Need more clearance for the bolt handle
3. I'm way off and doing this whole thing wrong

Thanks!

So need one more bit of advice/help. Pretty much everything is on order at this point, except for the rings. I've decided to go with the ARC M-Brace rings. What I need help with is choosing the ring height. With the Zermatt Origin action, does the bolt handle need consider clearance? No idea how to check that until I have it in my hands. The barrel is the stright M24 contour. And the scope is the Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 (34 mm tube).

From what I calculate, the 56mm objective, plus conservative 4mm tube thickess (can't find the exact tube thickness), over 2 ([56+4]/2) gives me a 30mm height minimum. The 34mm M-Brace rings come in 32mm & 36mm heights. Assuming I'm doing this correctly, it is a choice between the two, but I know the lower the scope the better so leaning towards 32mm. Was wondering if someone could confirm either:

Thanks!
i run the 32mm/1.26" mbrace rings and mounts and have no problems with 20/40moa cant

origin/rimx with comp knob
razor gen 3
aadmount caps
proof comp contour/1.25" straight

The 32's are fine. I have a G3 in the 28's over an MTU barrel, but I have a thick rail on that rifle (HS Precision steel). Another G3 I have in the 36's, but that is in a flat top chassis, so lots of extra clearance there.

Thanks!

Is there a reason you're going rings and not a 1-piece mount?

Is there a reason you're going rings and not a 1-piece mount?
I’m biased towards rings because the 20 MOA rail on the action will let me set the rings further apart than a lot of mounts I see. I like my rings as far apart as possible because in my mind it’s a more stable installation. Plus for future use I feel rings can be used in more applications on different setups as opposed to mounts. Never was a mount guy.

Reactions: KnowNothing256