• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Newbie needs some advice

TDN72

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2014
I would like to say hello and ask for a little advice. I have been lurking around here for several weeks trying to research a new project. I have been shooting and reloading for 30+ years and have been competing at various levels throughout the last 20. With the exception of long rang buffalo type shooting everything else has been pretty much up close action type shooting. Any “long range” shooting with a scope has been within 100 to 150 yards max..

Anyway here’s where I need some help. The more I keep searching this site and others the more I’m starting to second guess what I need or should buy for this build. It’s pretty easy to get sucked in and start thinking I need a $3000-4000 dollar gun. My goal was to get a bolt gun in 308 that I could start with and learn how to shoot long range. I don’t plan on competing and most likely with not be taking shots past 300 yards. Mostly because there is not any ranges with more than 300 yards within a 100 miles of my location.
Here’s what I got,
I picked up a savage 10 fp 308 used a couple of months ago. If it hadn’t said used on the tag I would have never known, it looks to be almost brand new. It is a older model (2005) staggered feed with the accu trigger. Couldn’t pass it up for the price.
Here’s where I need help,
1. Glass, Leaning towards the Vortex Viper HS-T Which is at the top of my budget. Is there anything better at that price? I have seen post after post recommending……….for a few dollars more you can get this……….. $550 is the top I willing to spend for glass, feel I should be able to get out to 300yrds comfortably in that price range. EGW 20moa or Weaver rail and Burris XTR or Weaver rings? Seen a lot of post recommending these? I’m Sure I don’t need the 20 moa for 300 yards but figured it couldn’t hurt?
2. Stock, the factory stock seems pretty flimsy, probably need to upgrade. Can’t decide between the Choate Tactical and the B&C medalist. Reviews state the Choate is heavy and the B&C has mix reviews about quality. Like the looks of the B&C better plus its lighter if I want to shoot off hand. Just not wild about having to work on a new stock because of quality issues? Not that I can’t or won’t, just feel I shouldn’t have to? Would be interested in a quality used stock if I could find one to fit.
I have almost purchased some combination of these items over the last week but keep second guessing my decision. I’m looking for validation of the equipment I have chosen or recommendations for equally valued equipment.

Thank you for your help and advice.

For 300 yards I don't see any reason to change the stock on your savage unless it's a personal preference. I have a savage 10 in .223 that I use for varmint hunting and it is a great gun. You'll also do just fine with a vortex scope. Since you know how to reload just work up a good load for it and have fun. Give the 175 smk's a try with some varget.

I have heard nothing but good reviews on the SWFA Super Sniper scopes. They are relatively inexpensive.

The stock may work fine, just feels cheap and flimsy. Fun part for me will be working up a load. Picked up some varget and 4064 to start. Bullet choices are a little limited, might not be able to get exactly what I want to start.