• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Precision Rifle

TxBuddha

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2004
New guy here..maybe not new to shooting as I've shot several different disciplines over the years but new to the long range / precision rifle game. I've got the LR bug with a mind towards shooting PRS matches. Wasn't really considering chassis guns until I got my head around them and I'm really liking the versatility they offer.

I'm currently considering these three in 6.5 Creedmore:

Tikka T3 TAC A1
Bergara B-14 BMP
Bergara Premier LRP

I originally thought the Tikka offered everything I wanted but the more I looked I saw that the Bergara's, especially the Premier LRP have a lot to offer . The LRP having the Trigger Tech trigger system as well as the ability to use AICS pattern mags are big pluses in my mind but with that said I know the Tikka triggers have a lot of fans.

I know they all have their (supposed) drawbacks such as the Tikka having slow barrels and feeding issues in the chassis guns and the Bergara having the firing pin hole issue. Seems all have more than acceptable accuracy. I subscribe to the Indian versus Arrow thought process as the guys who used to scare me the most at matches were the ones with the well worn but well maintained guns, not the guys with the latest cool kid toy.

Is there anything else that I need to consider that I haven't? All are readily available (at the moment) and all are within my price range. Optics will come next but I think I'm set on a Night Force NXS at the moment. I will reload if that matters at all.

What say ye?

just picked my up my LRP. I haven't shot it yet so I can't speak on that but the fit and finish well exceed the price tag.

I am also new to precision shooting (but experienced in other shooting disciplines) so take this with that in mind...

I've had my Ruger PR (6.5CM 24"barrel) for just over a year and I absolutely it. I haven't had any issues with it, and it shoots great. Granted I have never own a more expensive precision rifle that I'm sure is better, I feel the RPR is fantastic for the price, and allowed me to spend more on my optic.

Again, I still have a lot to learn, but I have a perfect set-up for a beginning in precision shooting. Also, saving $$$ on the rifle leaves me more to spend on rounds down range.

Here's my LRP, the quality and craftsmanship far exceed the price. But make no mistake, the RPR and BMP are fantastic options.

You can't go wrong either way, one thing to keep in mind with the BMP compared to the LRP. The LRP comes with the premier action which is a blueprinted action.

I started playing in the space about 3 years ago. My opinion, if you have the money and are not looking to compete production, do a custom build. Do research, handle different chassis systems, find the qualities you want in an action and barrel, find the right smith, and get it done. You will get there eventually, so rip the band-aid off and do it sooner. You will save a bunch of money in the long run.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
whats your budget for rifle and for scope?

Those options are fine, but there may be better within your budget. especial the scope. the NXS has been surpassed a few times over by this point

In no particular order....

I'm looking at about $4k for rifle and scope.

Production class is in the picture but not written in stone. And I have considered going custom since Alamo Precision is local to me as is Stiller.

I'm still thinking the LRP is a lot of gun for the money and when the barrel goes could be a good platform for upgrade but then so is the Tikka with that in mind. Current plan is shoot the barrel out of whatever I buy learning the ropes and go from there.

In no particular order....

I'm looking at about $4k for rifle and scope.

Production class is in the picture but not written in stone. And I have considered going custom since Alamo Precision is local to me as is Stiller.

I'm still thinking the LRP is a lot of gun for the money and when the barrel goes could be a good platform for upgrade but then so is the Tikka with that in mind. Current plan is shoot the barrel out of whatever I buy learning the ropes and go from there.
it would be hard to not build something off APR's new action then (or bighorn origin). savage prefit barrel or shouldered prefit. trigger and stock/chassis of choice. no real need to upgrade going forward

MPA/curtis production gun at $2k., https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-competition-rifle/

scope id look heavily at razon gen2 considing their new lower price or an ares etr / cronus btr

tikka ctr. bravo chassis. would be the lesser route.

production class is great. if you're gonna shoot a bunch of 2 day PRS matches. but i dont see the point. it has brought a bunch of affordable full builds to the market though so thats good

If you go with a stock action and want to make it better later you are wasting money unless you need to stay production. The cost of a custom action is about the same and will typically out perform the modified action. However, if you stay with Remington or Savage, you can buy factory replacement barrels from Shilen or Criterion and screw them on. Based on what I have looked at, pre-fit barrels still require some machine work.

If you are open to spend more money later. Well, a lot more money later, then you should decide where you want to put the initial purchase power - in the scope or in the rifle. A rifle that you are not going to want to replace the chassis, action, and trigger at some point is going to run you north of $3k including the machine work (barreled actions run around $2k chassis $1k, + trigger). A scope and rings that will satisfy is likely no less than $2,000, $2,500 is probably more realistic, or north of $3k if you are super picky.

Barrels are going to need to be replaced regardless, so decide if you want to live with factory replacements or if you are willing to pay extra for custom fit.

If I was to do it all over again, I would start with the chassis. If you are not shooting something that really fits you then you are making an instant $1k mistake. The best barreled action and trigger don't amount to much if you cannot get comfortable with the chassis. However, you can shoot to the max potential of any barreled action with the right chassis. Once you find the chassis, decide what action to run based on what that chassis will accept.

Reactions: DeftSystems
You can buy a lot of rifle for $4k, taylored to your exact preferences.
True but until I shoot for a while I won't know what I want/need longer term. This is just what I originally stated, a starter gun.

I have a Bergara BMP in 6.5cm. I upgraded the trigger to a TT Primary. Great rifle and got me started in PRS. I reload my own ammo and was able to get consistent 0.5moa groups with Hornady ELD bullets. I had issues with small rifle primers using Lapua brass and the firing pin. Sent it to Bergara and they worked it out so gun functions perfectly. Love that Bergaras are pretty much 700s done right and uses all 700 parts like triggers and stock/chassis just fine. I did just recently switch to a custom action, Bighorn Origin, because Bergaras are kind of special when it comes to rebarreling with their coned bolt face. My opinion, get the BMP and save a few hundred bucks to get more gear. Great rifle.

True but until I shoot for a while I won't know what I want/need longer term. This is just what I originally stated, a starter gun.

Have you given any thought to the Howa Chassis Rifle or Bravo?

Sounds like you’ve done your due diligence and are coming into this with the right state of mind.

It's to your advantage to take your time selecting a custom rifle. Here's my story.

After decades of clay target competition (skeet), I got into rifle after I retired. First up was a used Barnes Precision AR-15 in DMR configuration. Suffice to say it got the fire started. I traded that for a "TikTac" (Tikka T3X TAC A1) in 6.5CM. It was a dependable 0.5-0.6"@100 rifle with every factory ammo I fired in it from Hornady American Gunner to Prime. I chose it over the RPR because the action was so much smoother and because of the purported resale value.

I shot that gun for a year and a half and a few matches. The only feeding issue I encountered was when I ran the mag up against my Gamechanger bag on a barricade - pressure on bottom front of the mag would consistently stop the bolt cold. Keeping that in mind, that rifle fed more smoothly than anything else I've tried. Yes, the barrel was a little slow, but with its accuracy I was quite happy to keep using it, knowing a barrel replacement would eventually happen.

Late last year, I had an opportunity to try a buddy's custom rifle - Defiance action, Bartlein barrel, and Jewell trigger in an MPA BA chassis. I loved that thing like a kid with his mitts on his buddy's new toy. As luck would have it, a friend of mine was looking to sell almost that exact rifle (Stiller action instead of Defiance but everything else the same) slightly used with a brand-new Bartlein barrel in 6.5CM. The price was simply too good to pass up.

Is it hands-down better than the TikTac? NO. It's different. The MPA chassis is more solid than the Tikka and I've come to prefer a vertical grip over AR-type grips, but the Tikka chassis is a bargain compared with a new MPA (though I'm finding the machined-in ARCA rail on the MPA to be VERY useful in competition).

I had the opportunity to select the barrel profile for the Stiller, and I chose 26" M24/M40 - the "truck axle." I won't do that again. Is it accurate? You betcha. Is it way heavier than it needs to be? Yeah, pretty much. I'll go a little lighter next time. The APA Little B**rd brake is far more effective than the factory-supplied brake on the TikTac.

Is the trigger better? Yes, mainly because I can safely dial it down to 8 ounces compared to a little over 20 I could get from the TikTac with an aftermarket spring. I like light triggers.

Is the Stiller action smoother? No. The Tikka's was better. But the Stiller feeds no matter what I do to the magazine. So "different" as opposed to "better/worse." Stiller actions now seem to be toward the bottom of the custom action heap in terms of desirability, but mine works fine (especially for what I paid for it).

I followed a similar journey with .22s. Started with a CZ-455 and evolved to a Vudoo after seeing that building a 455 to be as accurate as a Vudoo would cost almost as much as a Vudoo and way more in terms of time.

I sold my Tikka for only a few hundred dollars less than I paid for it - the same day I put it up for sale.

Based on my personal experience, you'll do well to buy a "starter rifle" that works well for playtime or competition and has a good resale value IF you want to move up. I don't know anything about Bergara resale value. I can say, through experience, that the TikTac is a fine rifle in its own right and will be in demand if you sell it.

Enjoy the journey. Bring $. Lots of $$$. o_O

Reactions: JeffLebowski
For factory rifle it's hard to beat a tikka. Check out howa and I saw ruger rpr 6cm for 788 today

I just bought my first "starter PRS rifle"
I started with a budget of $2k for just the rifle. I was going to steal the gen 1 vortex off my AR10. But had doubts it would be adequite. I picked up an Ashbury M700 at cabelas for $1k and a Burris Burris xtr2 for $600 and all the parts i need to be at the range shooting for under $2k.
Most starter guns can be had for $1k-$2k. You really can't go wrong. Howa, tikka, bergara, Ruger RPR, weatherby, Savage, APO Saber... if you want really nice custom garanteed to perform then the Snipershide, John Hancock, or many of these PRS companies have an entry level For 2$k.

Any more than that either build your own or have a smith do it.

I opted for lowest price entry level so i can learn what I do and dont like because i WILL build my next rifle.

On a side note i would have prefered the Howa HCR in FDE and multicam but i just learned about it.

I opted for lowest price entry level so i can learn what I do and dont like because i WILL build my next rifle.

Almost my exact thought process. Lowest entry level may not be exactly true as I won't even consider a Ruger (too many bad experiences with Ruger rifles in the past) but close to the lowest anyway. Another point is if I stick with a factory gun it will be easier to move if I decide I don't like it, more so than even a semi-custom like the Sniper's Hide rifle mentioned above.

Alright, I think I understand more about what you are looking to do. Buy a Savage 12 FV (plenty in stock at a local I am sure), order up a XLR Element chassis so you don't need bottom metal for detachable mag (Optics Planet stocks them), a decent set of rings (Seekins will do), a 20 MOA scope base, scope of choice, and a mag or 2. All-in without the scope you should end up around $1,500 - $1,600 and have something that is at least 50% better than a 10 BA Stealth.

Get a trigger of choice if you don't like the AccuTrigger, but learning to use the AT will help with finger position. Get a bipod of choice. A $50 knock-off Harris will do for a while. The factory barrel should be good for 1/2 MOA (my son's does just under) and will be fine at 1k yards. Once you are done with that barrel get a Shilen factory replacement, and a NSS lug and barrel nut. Buy the tools to change the barrel or pay someone 50 bucks to do the swap. After that, decide if you want to put that kit aside an 'upgrade' to some different.

If it all blows up and you bow out, sell the XLR, and them put the factory stock back on the 12 FV and sell it. Doubt you will be out much after that.

I started this long range stuff about 2 years ago. I wish the options that we have now were available. It was RPR or a custom basically. To add to the choices you listed there is also MPA, Bad Rock, the new Delta 5, the Snipers Hide Ashbury Precision rifle. There are a ton of choices at 2k. I started with an RPR, I loved it, but I quickly moved on to Defiance nd MPA chassis afterwards