• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newbie questions

Teh_Sp00ky

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2018
I've been researching reloading for a few weeks now and I think I've figured out what I'd like for a setup to reload .308 win.

1. RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme
2. RCBS Chargemaster lite
3. RCBS deburring tool
4. RCBS #3 shell holder
5. RCBS FL .308 die set
6. Frankford arsenal hand depriming tool
7. Frankford arsenal quick-n-ez tumbler

Now, the first question I have - is this a complete setup aside from, say, a funnel? I saw something about RCBS Gold Medal precision dies but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. I will be shooing at about 900m and I'd like to get as accurate as possible.

Just looking for feedback, thanks!

Id also grab a beam scale to check the chargemaster throws, as well as the reducing insert for the tube. Greatly reduces overthrows. Case length cutter as well. And a comparator for bullet seating depth. I’ll guess that the calipers and other little things (case prep stuffs) you have squared away.

I started off with a kit and added on what else I needed over time.

Something to trim cases.
Lyman makes a little hand held tool for that that works remarkably well for the cost.

Also a beam scale to validate the Charge master.

In the charge master a reducing insert or McDonald’s straw will really help.

I’m guessing the FA tool is actually a priming tool?

If I were going out to 900 I would consider a micrometer seating die a necessity, and if you really want to control seating depth, add the Hornady bullet comparator.

I am pleased with my Redding Competition .308 Win dies. I also have the Hornady Match dies for .338LM that I like but keep in mind you'll need to order neck bushings for the Hornady Match or RCBS Gold Medal dies. Redding Competition dies size the neck without a bushing. The downside is you don't get to control neck sizing. At 900, a few tweaks here and there can be the difference between a hit or a miss. Every tenth MOA you can shave from your group size gives you a little more room for error estimating wind and distance.

Ok, some minor updates.

I'm still going with RCBS rock chucker supreme.

I'm thinking I will go with the Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper for powder.

I do need to look into some case trimmers but I had heard I can get 3-4 shots per case before I need to trim so I will do that last.

I've been having a hell of a time with dies.

I'm considering:
RCBS Comp .308 Win F L Die Set
Redding Reloading National Match Die Set - 308 Winchester, 39155

Between the two, I can get the built in micrometer. I had heard that putting a light crimp on can help with SD so I feel like the Redding match set is the ideal choice but it's almost $200.

If no one has mentioned this, a set of calipers, and a lee depriming die would be way cheaper than the FA depriming tool.

I don't think you will find anyone reloading for accuracy who is crimping. The bullet in the neck is all the tension you need.

Crimping comes into play with cannelured hunting bullets, magnum pistol rounds and other uses where absolute reliability is required such as hunting dangerous game.

Even autoloading rifles typically don't need crimping to avoid bullet setback.

I've got a set of calipers that are accurate down to the x.xxx inch. I also got the FA depriming tool because I don't even have a work bench yet, no press, etc. Building my bench is next.

I'm just working on getting my shopping list together.

Why are you buying a de-priming tool when the sizing die will knock out the primer too? Did you mean a priming tool? Cause you'll really need that.

Dies: don't buy a kit. Buy a Redding bushing die, several bushings, and a Sinclair expander. That takes care of resizing, de-priming, and setting neck tension without the hassle of neck turning. Buy a Forster Micrometer seating die. DONE.

Don't buy a dry tumbler. Buy a wet tumbler from Harbor Freight and tumble your cases (your cases only, fuck that stainless pin media shit) in hot water, dish soap, and Lemishine. Drain and then dry in a small toaster oven at 230 - 240 F for 30 min. No you won't screw up the metallurgy of brass.

You need a beam scale. Whatever else you do to dispense powder, you need a scale.

No crimping, no cannelured bullets. Not for this game, ever.

You will need basic case prep tools: neck ID chamfer tool, neck OD deburr tool, primer pocket uniformer/cleaner. They are cheap and chuck in a drill.

Someone already covered a bullet ogive comparator. Only accurate way to determine jump to lands/seating depth.