• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newbies first long range rifle

SHR3D

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2012
I've been lurkin' for a while and have finally decided on my choices of caliber for a general hunting/SHTF long range rifle.

308, 270, 30-06, 300win mag

I'm leaning to 308, 30-06, and 300win mag; and further more to the 300win mag.

I realize that the 300win mag is a bit overkill as a general hunting round; but, for anything under 300 yards and under 200lbs, I'll be building a 6x45.

I also realize that the 308 and 30-06 are more commonly accessible and good for most game in North America, but if I'm going to be building a x45 platform as well, I figure might as well go as wide a spectrum as reasonably reloaded as possible.

It would put me at .45acp(para ordnance hicap LDA), 6x45(simple barrel swap puts me back at 223 if SHTF and I'm short on ammo), that leaves me to the long range rifle selection.

I'd prefer to stay away from AR, for several reasons, in any caliber other than 308. One is the price, 300win mag and 338 lapuas jump up to 7grand a pop; the other is the recoil tube, I have manufacturing skills and am playing with the idea of modifying to a bullpup.

That being said, I am not opposed to a .308 AR in the slightest, which would probably be POF or Larue, and remain stock.

So whats your input?

For large game/long range, the 300win mag takes it, correct?

For SHTF, which is a better casing?

For chosen rounds, what is the best bullet weight/powder charge?

For chosen rounds, what is the minimum barrel length/twist needed to reach the full potential of the round?

Remington 750 vs Benelli R1 vs BAR- whats the reliability, out of the box accuracy, after market accuracy mods? Are any of these choices too hard on brass for reloading?

Id prefer to keep my arsenal down to these three weapons, however I do not want to compromise with accuracy; so, if I absolutely have to add a fourth(45acp, 223/6x45, 308AR, 300win mag bolt action), so be it.

Re: newbies first long range rifle

if you are dead set on only having three guns then my advice would be a 300WM or 300WSM bolt gun, AR15, and a Glock 9mm

Anything you encounter with those three and cannot resolve you were likely not meant to anyway...

If I had to leave and only grab one long gun the 300 bolt goes everytime

I went with a 300 win mag as my first long range rifle, I wish I would have picked .308 to learn on (ballistics, reading wind, etc).

You need a double stack 1911 in .45, a 6.8 piston-driven conversion AR15, and a semi-auto .50 BMG. If you don't have all those, you're a pussy and die first "when shtf".

Big or go home and stuff.

To me SHTF= God forbid- Chinese invasion, complete economic collapse, failed nuclear reactors, etc.

My .45 is top of the line, I have two 20rnd mags, 500rnds 230gr hollow-point stockpiled so far, and I shoot moa at 50 feet; all I need for it is some tritium paint. As for the 223/6x45 combo, I was leaning to an accurized mini-14.

Km22, could you explain more as to why that is the case?

I would prefer US designed and manufactured in the US from US stock; but, accuracy is slightly more important; not so much out of the box accuracy, as much as the availability of aftermarket barrels/triggers/etc.

Dont overlook some of the .284 calibers. Better bullets, better ballistics.

.300s make me yawn

In which platform would you recommend the 284, how is the energy transfer compared to the 308, how's the trajectory compared to the 270, and what range does it start dropping heavily?

Have you ever shot long range before and do you do any reloading?

And not to bust your balls too bad but you do know that MOA at 50ft is about .16in

No, I have only shot my first 22lr, my fathers 9mm, and my 45.

I will be reloading..

l.jpg

I also cleared a 7 target room with 8 shots in about 5 seconds with a 9mm Makarov(sp?), which kicks more than my 45; I missed the second to last shot, but my last shot took the last target.

Getting past the complete eyeroll at the things you have posted in this thread, I will just say that you need to ease up the koolaid.

With that said, I think the greatest emergency to worry about is economic-driven hyper inflation, where either the world loses confidence in US currency, or we have a systemic collapse in the monetary system within the country.

In either case, the gun is one of the later things to worry about. Make sure your water, food, and place to survive with family have been your first thoughts.

The gun stuff is more what you have and what you expect to have access to. Less talk about clearing rooms (do you expect to be part of the SHTF swat team?), and more talk about learning how to plant a freakin garden, and get clean water.

And. Worry more about the 72 hour emergencies like power outages, a water main break, a tornado, before you ever get to thinking about this....

Reactions: Maveroid

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You had me at SHTF. </div></div>

... looks like the OP's fingers were just on the other side of the blades post-strike.

laugh.gif

If you are worried about "shtf" in your words, I would want a good 22lr, you can carry 500 rounds in your two front pockets:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also cleared a 7 target room with 8 shots in about 5 seconds with a 9mm Makarov(sp?), which kicks more than my 45; I missed the second to last shot, but my last shot took the last target. </div></div>

I assume they were all headshots? With a 9mm I would expect at least 21 shots because everyone knows you have to Mozambique the enemy with anything up to and including a Desert Eagle .50 like a real operator.

Also for your three guns I would suggest a Sig P226 Navy, a Mk18 mod 1 and a Mk11 mod 0 (do I even have to mention Kryloning these all desert tan?)

You're also going to need a lot more ammo then you've got. I suggest at least 10,000 rounds of each caliber. That shit will go quicker than you think. Might want to stock up on some MRE's as well.

Do you even have a fallout shelter?

Those be the ugliest midget lookin booger hooks I've ever seen, if shtf break contact and return to the shire Sam wise gamgee

Reactions: Temper and Wyzrd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me SHTF= God forbid- Chinese invasion, complete economic collapse, failed nuclear reactors, etc.</div></div>

Learn to speak fluent Chinese, buy gold, and get 4 generators.

Keep an H&R 12 gauge in case things don't work out. load one round, wrap lips around muzzle... good night.

ForrestGump2.jpg

o u guise. can we try to get a few on-topic replies plz XD

i lold hard

ps. im going to stop using propper gramars, because NO U

shtf is a generality, it doesnt matter what happens. its likely that the americas/planet will move to an international/global currency once things start settling down and the market shifts.

also, i already grow a little food and have plenty more seeds stocked. as far as tornados go, if my local nuke plant pops off, a little wind is the least of my worries.

plz keep this discussion related to semi-auto rifles and their respective calibers...

herp derp let me make fun of a man who works with his hands. Because I'm a pretty boy with a manicure <3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ps. im going to stop using propper gramars, because NO U

shtf is a generality, it doesnt matter what happens. its likely that the americas/planet will move to an international/global currency once things start settling down and the market shifts.

also, i already grow a little food and have plenty more seeds stocked. as far as tornados go, if my local nuke plant pops off, a little wind is the least of my worries.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">plz keep this discussion related to semi-auto rifles and their respective calibers...</span></span>
herp derp let me make fun of a man who works with his hands. Because I'm a pretty boy with a manicure <3 </div></div>

that's what your OP was about??? confused as fuck. delete all that other shit and ask that simple question and you might get an answer.

BTW if you want a semi buy a platform that is widely used. I love benelli but would never consider buying a semi rifle they may be gooder 'n shit but not my thing.

get and ar10 and be done

maybe if you had a reading level greater than 5th grade and actually read OP, you couldve noticed i asked several questions. i also listed, specifically, for what use said weapons were proposed and listed my other calibers to express a range in use.

in op i ask about reloading... then someone asks if ill be reloading.. whoda thunk that id ask a question about reloading ifn it werent about reloading.... jeee

my bad for thinking i could get some useful informations from some more experienced shooters... what are all of you twelve? xDDDD /sigh

introducing the reincarnation of Davemuzz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those be the ugliest midget lookin booger hooks I've ever seen, if shtf break contact and return to the shire Sam wise gamgee </div></div>

LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe if you had a reading level greater than 5th grade and actually read OP, you couldve noticed i asked several questions. i also listed, specifically, for what use said weapons were proposed and listed my other calibers to express a range in use.

in op i ask about reloading... then someone asks if ill be reloading.. whoda thunk that id ask a question about reloading ifn it werent about reloading.... jeee

my bad for thinking i could get some useful informations from some more experienced shooters... what are all of you twelve? xDDDD /sigh

</div></div>

dont let the wannabes hassle you dude, they are making up for their small peepee's...

this website has gone downhill....might i suggest asking your question on this one...ar15.com....it is far more suited for questions such as yours...i have no doubt you will be given the correct answers to your questions with out the silly hassles.

best of luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe if you had a reading level greater than 5th grade and actually read OP, you couldve noticed i asked several questions. i also listed, specifically, for what use said weapons were proposed and listed my other calibers to express a range in use.

</div></div>

that's people's point... YOUR original post is so FULL of retard, nobody can follow it

i b sorreh, is usin 2 big words fo u?

3oo5ee.jpg

help me admin-wan-kenobi, youre my only hope

im one, all for some jocular banter, on the occasion that at least a pinch of my queries are answered hitherto forward

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and I shoot moa at 50 feet; all I need for it is some tritium paint. </div></div>

can you show me a picture of this group can be 2 shots, 3 or 5 I don't care. I will then take my non-reading retard ass and go lay by my dish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
plz keep this discussion related to <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">semi-auto rifles</span></span> and their respective calibers...</div></div>

Why is this in the <span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt Action Rifles</span> forum?

ROFL; i actually posted it in the semi auto forum, i guess the admins are trolls here too...

Moa at fifty feet, I will have to say that is the first time I have heard that claim.

"the admin. are trolls here too" Now that is funny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308garand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
plz keep this discussion related to <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">semi-auto rifles</span></span> and their respective calibers...</div></div>

Why is this in the <span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt Action Rifles</span> forum? </div></div>

Because if his fingers are any indication, he went all Goatse and was still in post stretching euphoria while posting this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i b sorreh, is usin 2 big words fo u? </div></div>

On a positive note, I think we might have attracted our first lolcat.

We7rU.png

yo snipers, im really happy for you and im goign to let you finish but
00%20spiderman.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are those the fingers of gollum? if so, where is the ring my precious?........... </div></div>

More like the fingers of an amateur, back-alley proctologist ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ROFL; i actually posted it in the semi auto forum, i guess the admins are trolls here too...</div></div>

No, the admins are not trolls. And they're also not babysitters. If you're too retarded to put your post in the correct forum, I can always help you by deleting your post and your account. Then you wont have to worry about trolling admins.

fat fingers, fat dick..

way to be original, did you think of the hobbit joke all by your lonesome? oh wait, you copied it from 20 posts above yours. i bet you feel quite astute

i never even clicked into bolt action subforum... you feel the lack of forum etiquette is my fault, by all means ban the fuck out of me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHR3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i never even clicked into bolt action subforum... you feel the lack of forum etiquette is my fault, by all means ban the fuck out of me</div></div>

OK, you're banned.

Go play SHTF world collapse scenario in your mom's basement. Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

When the SHTF... you should be able to shoot/use whatever you pick up....