• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision News just broke. Iray Rico Micro. Skeet IRX / Voodoo competitor for half the price ? Discussions thread.

Link or ur gay
F044A996-C48B-425D-8E22-0BBAE54B0B54.jpeg

A picture, even better. I haven't gotten to own, much less touch, anything other than the NOX18. I love America but also appreciate competition. Will wait for others to chime in who have more experience

ETA: pretty sure this is it

Reactions: Sigma
We are opening up pre orders on these today!

My honest opinion on the little thing is I love it. I’ve used the voodoo, skeet x and all those ridiculously expensive monoculars and there’s absolutely no way in hell I’d pay that for those if this were available at only 6k. Even if the voodoo were 8k I wouldn’t get it over this. I’ll have a video of it in action as soon as the rain stops this week. If you have any questions ask away.

Below is a 4x Acog looking though it at 300 yards
E732A94B-DA40-40F3-A722-75ECD60E4C49.jpeg

Last edited:

My honest opinion on the little thing is I love it. I’ve used the voodoo, skeet x and all those ridiculously expensive monoculars and there’s absolutely no way in hell I’d pay that for those if this were available at only 6k. Even if the voodoo were 8k I wouldn’t get it over this. I’ll have a video of it in action as soon as the rain stops this week. If you have any questions ask away.

Below is a 4x Acog looking though it at 300 yardsView attachment 7809272
The full 1024x760 display isn't used in clip on mode though, correct? It digitally demagnifies to 640x480?

Reactions: EchoFiveIndia
Is this a true clip-on in that you dont have to sight it in? What kind of weapon mounts does it use?
Yes and no, being a 1x optic, there’s no prism. It’s relatively close at 100 or so yards from what I’ve seen but at distance it’s likely to be off a bit. But It can be corrected on the collimation screen.

The full 1024x760 display isn't used in clip on mode though, correct? It digitally demagnifies to 640x480?
Yes that’s correct. But still twice as good as a UTM X in clip on mode. Those added pixels don’t do any good if they are outside the viewing area when you magnify with an optic anyway.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
@Surgeon_Shooter whats the max magnification you’ve had on it? I’d likely be running it with a 1.5-6x Elcan but I’m curious how far I could push the magnification before it’s too nasty.
I’ve used it on 6x and it’s very useable. 4x is better obviously but 6 works just fine.

Yes and no, being a 1x optic, there’s no prism. It’s relatively close at 100 or so yards from what I’ve seen but at distance it’s likely to be off a bit. But It can be corrected on the collimation screen.
So basically I think if I am understanding correctly, we are looking at a system that you can shift the margins (screen) horizontally and vertically and does it have the ability to turn the reticle off. Any certain place you have to have the Diopter set at.

The Voodoo has a POI Adjust menu which appears to be basically the ability to move the margins horizontally and vertically. Is that correct.

Your spot on sir. No matter the brand or price, if it can be worn on your head as a true 1x optic, it can’t be perfectly collimated. They may be close but perfect would simply be an accident. This does have an adjustment menu as well to get it perfect.

Edit: diopter is really close to the same for clip on /handheld.

Below is a 4x Acog looking though it at 300 yardsView attachment 7809272
300 yards during the day :)

What does it weigh with a battery and QD mount?

Newb question:

Why would someone choose something like this over the Nox18? Price point seems to be really similar. The Nox is pretty well proven/liked already no?

I’m in the market for a HMT, and was looking at the Iray mh25 & ML19. But would prefer added capability of clip-on and weapon mounting.

This is certainly interesting.
It’s possible to find Oasys stuff on the grey marked here in Europe, but no warranty or service kinda kills it.

For my purpose, this Iray Micro would be perfect, TigIR is overkill.

Not compatible with the FTS mount, but the mount we designed is better IMO. Much more solid and repeatable if using as a standalone weapon sight.

Also, Surgeon_Shooter is the man and my hero.

51887222891_6cf7b04580_c.jpg

51887306173_b89778c28e_c.jpg

51887223956_b0c444121c_c.jpg

51887555074_b63afa5e42_c.jpg
Well I know that the ADM 2 crossbolt mount works excellent with the Flir Thermosight line RTZ. I am highly confident it will do the same here.

Nice design. (y)

Reactions: rich20730
Would this unit benefit from an LPVO that has side focus? I was playing around with the NOX18 last night in front of a 1-8 and I felt like I was getting heavy pixels at 3x. 1-2x was beautiful and even digital zoom was pretty good (felt comfortable to 6-8x with digital). Not sure if a parallax adjustment on these helps or not?

Still curious on weight of this thing with battery and pic mount...

I've only got a PVS30 to compare and I really like having parallax adjustment with that. With a full moon and cloud cover, I was maxed at 18x and happy with the image. @Surgeon_Shooter builds a mean device!

Would this unit benefit from an LPVO that has side focus? I was playing around with the NOX18 last night in front of a 1-8 and I felt like I was getting heavy pixels at 3x. 1-2x was beautiful and even digital zoom was pretty good (felt comfortable to 6-8x with digital). Not sure if a parallax adjustment on these helps or not?

Still curious on weight of this thing with battery and pic mount...

I've only got a PVS30 to compare and I really like having parallax adjustment with that. With a full moon and cloud cover, I was maxed at 18x and happy with the image. @Surgeon_Shooter builds a mean device!
Thanks for the kind words sir!

Weight is 11.7oz without battery and 13.4oz with an 18650. A pvs-30 is 3lbs 1.2oz with a cr123. Ive used it with the Acog and Elcan and neither of those have parralax but they look great. When it comes to anything clip on wise focus is key, so im sure itll only help if anything, but its not a problem if the optic doesnt have it.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Thank you! That's impressive

When talking about weight, I refer to my PVS30 as a recoil dampening device that also lets me see in darkness 😂 Comp shooters literally screw lead to their chassis so that makes me feel smarter

Newb question:

Why would someone choose something like this over the Nox18? Price point seems to be really similar. The Nox is pretty well proven/liked already no?

I’m in the market for a HMT, and was looking at the Iray mh25 & ML19. But would prefer added capability of clip-on and weapon mounting.
Because this goes one step further than the NOX as it apparenlty works as a Clip-On. This fact is why it is a true contender with the Skeet (not available) but with a huge cost savings. If it works as a clip-on it is $10k cheaper than the Voodoo. Now if the clip-on mode serves no purpose to an end user I would think the NOX would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73
I feel like the narrowed field of view of this unit (17.5hx14v, 22.4d) vs the nox (24.3hx18.3v, 30.4d) and skeet (22.5hx16.5v, 28d) will limit its utility as a head mounted thermal vs those units. This has the same fov as the mh25, which felt notably tight to me while trying to dual band that unit with a pvs14 on a helmet, but maybe this will gain something by having a round display...
Clip on utility is likely the best use case for this. I'd love to be wrong, here, since I currently use a nox on the helmet, and long for a skeet for the weight savings, so a lighter and reasonably priced alternative would be great! But the nox is 13.5oz or 15.3 oz with a cr123 or 18650 and the iray is 13.4 with an 18650, whereas the skeet is 9oz with the cr123...
So the skeet weighs 4.4 oz less and has a field of view that is 28 degrees diagonal vs 22.4 on the iray...I think skeet is still crushing it there as a head mounted unit.
The nox loses a bit in the weight department if using 18650s, but is only 0.1 oz heavier with the cr123 installed. BUT the nox crushes the iray in fov, having 30.4 degrees diagonal vs the iray 22.4.
For head mounted use, I don't think this will dominate either the nox or the skeet.
As a clip on, I'm curious to see how it compares to the voodoo. The same field of view metrics that make the skeet have advantages in the head mount configuration will give it a disadvantage in a comparison as a clip. Nox obviously isn't a clip on, though you could use it as a stand alone sight.
The voodoo is lighter at 10 oz without the battery installed, so it might be nice as a helmet mount, if it weren't for the very narrow fov of 15hx11v, 18.6d... but that narrow fov should gain it an edge at higher magnification vs the iray when it's being used as a clip on...
Edits: added actual fov numbers and weights

Last edited:
Not compatible with the FTS mount, but the mount we designed is better IMO. Much more solid and repeatable if using as a standalone weapon sight.

Also, Surgeon_Shooter is the man and my hero.

51887222891_6cf7b04580_c.jpg

51887306173_b89778c28e_c.jpg

51887223956_b0c444121c_c.jpg

51887555074_b63afa5e42_c.jpg
Rich, you said not compatible. While I understand it is not compatible as it comes but given Jay worked his magic and applied a dovetail is there another issue that would not allow it to work with the Wilcox FTS mount? Again, is it your opinion that it would suffer the same fate as the Skeet and UTM does from movement within the a Wilcox FTS mount. Thanks

I messaged Iray USA on IG regarding the clip on functionally, here is my question and their response, verbatim:

“So is this a true collimated clip on or does it have to be zeroed to the rifle?”

“There is an initial adjustment that needs to be made but once that is done you should be able to swith from rifle to rifle without having to re-adjust.”

Just passing that along, make of it what you will…

I’m going to call BS (on IRAY, not you).

That makes absolutely zero sense.

If that statement was true, iray could (and would) simply do that adjustment at the factory before boxing it up.

What IS possible, is that there are multiple zero save points, just like every other “zero the screen” clip-on. That may be what they were meaning, but if so, the statement is inaccurate and misleading.

Last edited:
Where are people seeing that it has a round display? Maybe I missed something but I'm not seeing that on the iray site. That seems like it would make a big difference for helmet mounted and I've been hoping someone would take that step for awhile. The fov is a bit disappointing but it seems to bring a lot to the table for 6k.

Where are people seeing that it has a round display? Maybe I missed something but I'm not seeing that on the iray site. That seems like it would make a big difference for helmet mounted and I've been hoping someone would take that step for awhile. The fov is a bit disappointing but it seems to bring a lot to the table for 6k.
the sides are rounded, it matches up much better with a 14 when running it bridged with i2.

Jay
B49F62B9-4B1E-4E8F-8EDA-3103DBEB1B51.jpeg

Because this goes one step further than the NOX as it apparenlty works as a Clip-On. This fact is why it is a true contender with the Skeet (not available) but with a huge cost savings. If it works as a clip-on it is $10k cheaper than the Voodoo. Now if the clip-on mode serves no purpose to an end user I would think the NOX would be the way to go.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the Nox18 was usable as a clip-on.

Dang, they better make these available in Europe as well, then I'll be able to get it for hunting purposes.

Ok I’m sure I’ll get flamed but I’m waiting on the xtr3i 3.3-18 for my 16” gas gun. How would this fare with that clip on? Or would it be a waste of time and money and I should wait to pair it with a atacr 1-8 ?

Ok I’m sure I’ll get flamed but I’m waiting on the xtr3i 3.3-18 for my 16” gas gun. How would this fare with that clip on? Or would it be a waste of time and money and I should wait to pair it with a atacr 1-8 ?

In my opinion it’s kind of a wash, either way you’re not going above 8x usable magnification with that clip on.

Well if zooming to 2x digital in the unit does not change the boresight/collimation, 8x times dayscope x 2x digital unit (16X) might still yield a decent image.

Or you could go various combinations to see which still yields a decent image. Say 6X Dayscope x 2x Digital unit for 12X overall.

Seems like a good number of options if the digital zooming does not affect the boresight/ collimation of the thermal with your day optic.

Reactions: EchoFiveIndia
Well if zooming to 2x digital in the unit does not change the boresight/collimation, 8x times dayscope x 2x digital unit (16X) might still yield a decent image.

Or you could go various combinations to see which still yields a decent image. Say 6X Dayscope x 2x Digital unit for 12X overall.

Seems like a good number of options if the digital zooming does not affect the boresight/ collimation of the thermal with your day optic.
I doubt this will handle 8x if the Voodoo S won't either. I could be wrong but Jay said 6x is upper end for him and I believe that

Rich, you said not compatible. While I understand it is not compatible as it comes but given Jay worked his magic and applied a dovetail is there another issue that would not allow it to work with the Wilcox FTS mount? Again, is it your opinion that it would suffer the same fate as the Skeet and UTM does from movement within the a Wilcox FTS mount. Thanks

Sorry, I should clarify: The mount that we designed with American Defense consists of two pieces - 1. A dovetail/picatinny combo that mounts to the body of the Micro and 2. A reversible double-sided throw lever mount that stays on the rifle, similar to the FTS mount. The reason the American Defense mount won't work with the FTS mount is because the picatinny rail section won't clear the hinge on the FTS (see below).

51889427539_6db3ed73ed_c.jpg

You can put a K-Clip on the stock rail for the Micro, which can work for helmet mounting, but your alignment will be off for weapon mount and clip-on use.

51889750670_abdd29cfaa_c.jpg

51888132437_f9e25e4d94_c.jpg

In a clip-on configuration, the minor movement from the FTS mount shouldn't be an issue, but it can result in a significant shift in a stand-alone weapon sight configuration.

Last edited: