• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Next best to 6BR

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
I was suggested to go with 6BR for both F class and PRS matches.
For the past 1 month, there's literally 0 brass to buy anywhere (in Canada).
If I cannot reload ammo for 6BR, there's no point in a 6BR rifle. What's the next best after 6BR I can go with for F class AND PRS?
6mm creedmore is available but sparse, should I go with 6.5CM then?

Any opinions or suggestions please?

Thank you

If there is zero brass in Canada, can you get Berger ammo? it's loaded on Lapua brass. 6 and 6.5 creedmoor would both be viable options.

6 dasher

Followed by whatever you can get brass for.

Which distance f-class? 600? 1000?

Bullet central has alpha 6br brass available...tho not sure on shipping, if that is the issue.

6mm isn't typically the norm for F-Class as far as I know. Those guys typically like 7mm if Memory serves. Honestly 6 ARC wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Pederson and Starline are making brass for it now and the Hornady Match Grade stuff with the 108's is pretty good. I plan on making a PRS bolt gun with 6 ARC with it at some point. Just remember that 6 ARC out of a bolt gun is a very different animal than 6 ARC out of a gasser.

Email Donna at Hirsch Precision and ask when the next Lapua shipment is scheduled. They're the distributor, if I remember correctly.

Don't mean to derail a thread here, but it's relevant. Why is it that a lot of BR shooters shoot Norma brass?

I was suggested to go with 6BR for both F class and PRS matches.
For the past 1 month, there's literally 0 brass to buy anywhere (in Canada).
If I cannot reload ammo for 6BR, there's no point in a 6BR rifle. What's the next best after 6BR I can go with for F class AND PRS?
6mm creedmore is available but sparse, should I go with 6.5CM then?

Any opinions or suggestions please?

Thank you
Can you not order brass online? BR brass is available from a few different companies.

Don't mean to derail a thread here, but it's relevant. Why is it that a lot of BR shooters shoot Norma brass?
Because the “official” name of the cartridge is “6BR Norma”, based on some chamber length shenanigans back in Fudd times, so Lapua and Alpha sell the brass as such. No one shoots Norma branded brass.…or at least not ”a lot”.

Because the “official” name of the cartridge is “6BR Norma”, based on some chamber length shenanigans back in Fudd times, so Lapua and Alpha sell the brass as such. No one shoots Norma branded brass.…or at least not ”a lot”.
^^^Wut he said^^^

I know that's the official name but I've seen several in YouTube say "Norma brass" when taking about their load, so I thought that they meant they were using "Norma brass" and there's no mention of lapua or ADG so, I'm not sure about that one.

I know that's the official name but I've seen several in YouTube say "Norma brass" when taking about their load, so I thought that they meant they were using "Norma brass" and there's no mention of lapua or ADG so, I'm not sure about that one.
Maybe it’s a thing. It’s been a dozen years since I hung around any benchrest dudes.

I’d be willing to bet that they’re talking about the chambering and not the manufacturer. Google Norma 6BR brass and click on a few links. All will be talking about Lapua/ADG/Peterson.

I’d be willing to bet that they’re talking about the chambering and not the manufacturer. Google Norma 6BR brass and click on a few links. All will be talking about Lapua/ADG/Peterson.
Maybe so. I just thought it was odd the way they said it made it sound like they were talking about Norma brass and I was wondering if they did so much to the brass they wanted thicker brass to work with or something? I don't know if Norma is thicker or what it's like but it just sounded odd they weren't using lapua or ADG or Peterson even.

Reactions: lash
If you’re shooting on a 1000 yard range and your choices are 6BR or 6.5 CM. The 6.5 will beat it

If your looking at open class calibers at 1000 go with one of the 7mm’s

Reactions: kthomas
I just switched from br back to 6.5 cm. After 800y you really get beat up in switchy winds with a br. I get real aggravated by missing, measuring, then missing off the other side of the plate. Hasn't been a issue since I switched back. Going to try 25cm for the next match

Some food for thought from someone in Canada that was in your very shoes a few weeks ago.

I decided to go 6BR and ordered all the tooling, before I even looked at components. Couldn't find any brass, and no one could give me the roughest of ETAs on it. But mama didn't raise no quitter. So I ended up buying loaded Lapua ammo. Expensive? You bet. But when I took out the calculator and punched the numbers, to get to once fired brass (using the cheapest components), loaded ammo vs rolling my own had less than a hundred bucks for 300 pieces, not taking into account limited availability and shipping for different components from a few shops.

If your heart is set on 6BR, run the numbers; it might be closer than you think.

Some food for thought from someone in Canada that was in your very shoes a few weeks ago.

I decided to go 6BR and ordered all the tooling, before I even looked at components. Couldn't find any brass, and no one could give me the roughest of ETAs on it. But mama didn't raise no quitter. So I ended up buying loaded Lapua ammo. Expensive? You bet. But when I took out the calculator and punched the numbers, to get to once fired brass (using the cheapest components), loaded ammo vs rolling my own had less than a hundred bucks for 300 pieces, not taking into account limited availability and shipping for different components from a few shops.

If your heart is set on 6BR, run the numbers; it might be closer than you think.
I did the same thing for a couple different calibers. You get shootable and often very good ammo in that Lapua brass that works fine in a new barrel, then just keep loading that used brass.

Reactions: Schütze