• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Next build 300 Win Mag or 338 RUM?

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Hey everybody I've been debaiting on calibers for my next long range build I was wanting some first hand experiance with these two calibers as far as performance, and what would y'all reccomend as far as recoil not so much worried I have handled a 300 win mag what about the 338 RUM is it really that bad that u can't shoot it comfortably even with a break installed just wondering what y'all reccommend advice from experianced users thanks guys also what ranges are these cartridges capable of

Re: Next build 300 Win Mag or 338 RUM?

Step it up to a 338 Edge you will have to reload the 338 Ultra to gain long range performance and the Edge gets you 338 Lapua performance with a lot less cost.

The 300 Win MAg is a great cartyrige but the 338 Edge is better especialy with 300gr MatchKings. The 338 UltraMag is also very close to the 338 Lapua and a great entry level long range rifle with the few 338 UltraMag sendero's that are still out there.

You should check out the Omega II 300 Win Mag. At the Predator Custom shop, they are chambering the 300WM, so you can load it with 240SMKs. The ballistics are freaky, 2800fps with a .711 ballistic co-efficient! I believe it is cheaper to load than both of the others. You might have seen this already seen this in the other thread.

Ok thanks I think it is kinda hard to out perform the 300 win mag for the price and availibility I've been reloading for a while and u could get the 300 screaming with the right load and plenty of range to go along with that

I don't have any experience with the RUM but I have hunted with the .300WM and shot a charging boar in the face and the bullet went thru the snout and out the bottom and laid his belly open but never expanded. I had to put another round behind his ear but if he had been really mad I would have had to go to my sidearm. Not impressed with the stopping power of the .300WM for truly large and aggressive animals.

eta: My next build will probably be a boar/bear gun in .338 Edge.

For economy I would say 300 wm, easy to reload for, inherently
accurate and would not be giving up much to the other caliber.

my vote is for the 300 win mag. i shoot a 300 now and really love it. recoil is not that bad either. plus i also have a few 308's that i shoot and being able to use the bullets for both calibers is a bonus.

sorry, im talking about reloading both calibers and being able to use the same bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yotie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry, im talking about reloading both calibers and being able to use the same bullets. </div></div>

That is a valid (and wise) consideration, that is why I am reading up on the .338 Federal and .338 Edge. Stopping power in large or extra large.

im probably biased as i shoot the .300WM but the simple fact is its alot cheaper to shoot then all the .338's. I dont think the slight extra increase in performance you achieve shooting the larger cartridges justifies the much greater cost.

In saying that i may eventually buy a .338 LM to add to my already swollen collection! I just want one.

OK if you are shooting inside 1000 yards the 400 win mag is great but then a 7mm mag is a lot better than the 300 but if going to 1500 yards the 300 is still OK and again its ass is kicked by ay 7mm Mag. But start to go past a mile and the others kant keep up with a 338 UltraMag or bigger that is a fact so what do you want out of the rifle? if you want a rifle to shoot under a mile and will never go there any of the 3 above will work but the 7mm Mags will have less drop less drift and MORE retained bullet energy when a 175-180gr VLD is used because it retains velocity better than the 300's that start out slower and have a lower BC. the only way to boost the 300 win mag is with 240's but the case is realy to small and a 7mm Mag with heavy projectiles still is infront. but drop a 338 UltraMag into the rifle and the retained energy is much greater and it does have a little more drop but it uses less wind and at range that is the figure that counts you can read range and dial it fairly easily but reading the wind is the issue at long range the more help you have with it the better so you want something that is less effected by wind.

So make up your mind at what distance you want to shoot and if it is under a mile take a look at a 175gr MatchKing or a 180gr Breger out of a 7mm Mag i prefer the Rem SAUM with a long throat but the 7mm Rem Mag is an awsome performer especialy with Norma cases.

I just cant justify a 300 Win mag when it can not match the smaller 7mm sorry. so for me it is either a 7mm or 338 i have both and dont shoot 30 cals except in 308 and that is because of the avalibility of cheeper projectiles for it and the class i shoot in requires it or i would not have any 30 cal at all they just are not that efficient sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Step it up to a 338 Edge you will have to reload the 338 Ultra to gain long range performance and the Edge gets you 338 Lapua performance with a lot less cost.

The 300 Win MAg is a great cartyrige but the 338 Edge is better especialy with 300gr MatchKings. The 338 UltraMag is also very close to the 338 Lapua and a great entry level long range rifle with the few 338 UltraMag sendero's that are still out there.

</div></div>

I vote for the 338 edge as well. Specially with the new Berger Hybrid 338 bullet out, killer BC's.