• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Next project...the Groza. Now With Completion Video!

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    My next project is the OTs-14 Groza. The OTs-14 Groza (ОЦ-14 "Гроза") is a Russian selective fire bullpup rifle chambered for the 7.62x39 round and the 9x39 subsonic round. It was developed in the 1990s at the TsKIB SOO(Central Design and Research Bureau of Sporting and Hunting Arms) in Tula, Russia.
    The weapon is colloquially known as OC-14 or OTs-14 "Groza". The OTs-14-4A "Groza-4" has one derivative, the TKB-0239 (ТКБ-0239), also known as OTs-14-1A "Groza-1", chambered for the 7.62x39 round. The Groza saw limited use in 1999 in the first anti terrorist campaign in Chechnya, however they quickly fell out of favor and are no longer produced.
    groza ots-14 a.jpg

The weapon fires from a closed bolt and has a hammer-type firing mechanism. It has a unitary trigger; a three-position combination fire mode selector switch / manual safety on the left side of the receiver sets whether it fires either the rifle or the grenade launcher or places it in "safe". The assault rifle is equipped with iron sights contained in the carrying handle that consist of an adjustable rear aperture sight on a tangent leaf with range graduations from 50 to 200 m, and a forward post. The grenade launcher is aimed using a folding leaf sight. The weapon will also accept several optical sights, including the PSO telescopic sights which mount directly onto the carrying handle or, as on early models, onto a bracket on the left side of the receiver housing. The OTs-14-4A also has a night sight dovetail rail that will accept all standard night vision optics.

330px-%D0%A1%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B1%D0%B0_%D0%B8%D0%B7_%D0%9E%D0%A6-14.jpeg
    R6712_AK-47-Evolution-AK-Bullpup-5-271x420.jpg

R6712_AK-47-Evolution-AK-Bullpup-7.jpg

image-2.png

Parts are on hand. I will convert a "hellpup" pistol into a Groza by changing it to a bullpup configuration. I'll do this by fabricating the forward fire controls from an 80% receiver. I'll fabricate the carrying handle from either a solid billet or sheet steel and turn the muzzle device on my lathe...or just use a krinkov brake. I'll probably SBR this just to avoid any problems.

Threads like this are my favorite part of the SH community. Wish I had the skills, resources, and time to do stuff like this.

Of course, if I spent less time on SH, I’d have more time to develop the skills to do stuff like this, so it’s a bit of a double-edged sword.

Regardless, I can’t wait to see the project unfold. I assume yours will be 7.62x39?

Reactions: buffalowinter
    Coming together. Fore-end, trigger, trigger guard, grip are done. Rear and front fire control is done, have to work on linkage. Need to work on carry handle/sight assembly, Muzzle brake, and buttplate (but can't attach until form one comes back. Decided to not use the 80% lower and fabricate a forend from Aluminum tubing.
    DSCN5322.JPG

mocked up

DSCN5323.JPG
    DSCN5324.JPG

Last edited:
    I'm curious how the fcg works on such a thing. I never paid attention to how bullpups work.

There is a long wire linkage running from the front trigger back to the original sear. Pulling the trigger pulls and releases the hammer sear through the linkage.

Finished the linkage and test fired today. Pain in the ass as I anticipated but it works fine. Totally weird and unfcomfortable to fire. If you're not gettin hit by the charging handle you're busy concentrating on not blowing your supporting hand off. Unlike the original, I'll probably put some type of fore-grip on it. All that's left is more of less cosmetic. Carry handle with sight, muzzle brake, and buttplate once the form 1 comes (No fore-grip till the form 1 either).

DSCN5325.JPG

DSCN5326.JPG

DSCN5327.JPG

DSCN5328.JPG

DSCN5329.JPG

Last edited:
    Yeah but can he define the word "woman"?

That's where the brains are needed.

• Haha
    Reactions: canman
    Now for the Cerakote. I am going to do a "Battle Worn" finish.
    Step one is metal prep (Note the lower part of the modified two piece trigger linkage):
    DSCN5337.JPG

Next is the base coat of my proprietary "Bare Metal" finish.
    DSCN5340.JPG

Finally I will apply the top coat of Graphite Black. While the coat is still wet, I run a rag over the high portions to reveal the base coat of "Bare Metal". I keep doing this until I get the effect I want.

And, in a totally unrelated topic, here is a pic of me with my MP5KSD with Laser Sight circa 1987. (NFA Registered)
    mp5ksd.jpg

And Zeus, my Czech Shepherd.
    zeus.jpg

Last edited:
    Finished product with the exception of the butt plate which will go on when the form 1 is approved. Shown with Russian Pilad red dot and "Ratnik" (Warrior) uniform blouse and ballistic helmet. I also added a short Picatinny rail in front of the trigger guard.
    DSCN5348.JPG

DSCN5349.JPG

DSCN5350.JPG

DSCN5351.JPG

DSCN5352.JPG

DSCN5353.JPG

DSCN5354.JPG
    DSCN5355.JPG

DSCN5356.JPG

So, now that it is complete and you have fired it, any thoughts on why it went out of favor?

My guess is that with that shorty barrel and no fore grip, it was a perforated left hand waiting to happen...

It is not pleasant to shoot. Easy to blow a hole in your left hand and it actually has a fairly stiff recoil. If you look at the video, I'm 6'2 and 200 pounds using an aggressive forward shooting stance and it's pushing me pretty good. With the bolt recoiling straight into your shoulder without any butt plate, or even stock, to absorb some of that impact, it is a heavy recoiling weapon. On the other hand, it is a very compact gun shooting a .30 caliber rifle cartridge.