• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NF 50mm or 56mm

dpreston

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Western Pa
In the process of buying a NF 5.5-22 for the tactical gun. Im leaning toward the 56mm. However, all the tactical guns I see wearing this scope all have 50mm's. Am I missing something? It shouldnt make that much difference. Right?

Re: NF 50mm or 56mm

The 50 is just a bit smaller, that's really all. I have both. THe 56 may allow a bit more light in, but I don't see all that much of a difference and I don't think you would be able to either. Get what you think is the right size for your rifle.

I just went with the 50mm because I found a deal. If I had the option to buy either for the same price I'd take the 56mm. Not that big of a deal though.

50mm at 22X is 2.27 exit pupil
56mm at 22X is 2.54 exit pupil
Optimal exit pupil magnification for 56mm is 8X, for 50mm is 7X.
So say the experts.
I have the 50mm probably would go with 56mm if I had to do it again.

I came to the hide tonight to find the answer to this exact question. I just got a 56 and plan to order another scope tomorrow. Havent had a chance to shoot with the 56 so I too am seeking guidance. I looked at the USO site and noticed they have a 44 and a 56. I assume assume the question is between tight cheek weld and more precise trajectory vs additional light passing capacity. Is this just a matter of opinion or is there better applications for each configuration?

I've had trouble with nonadjustable stocks getting a good cheek weld with a 56mm. My eyes can't see any difference in brightness in the 50 and 56 NF 5.5x22's, I have both the 50 and 56 but prefer the 50

cheek weld will not be affected by a bigger diameter objective with a difference of another 3 mm. i mount my 8-32x56 on medium rings and still have room for lows