• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 7-35 vs ZCO 5-27

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-schmidt-bender-5-25-v-vortex-4-5-27.6828806/

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ero-compromise-tangent-theta-schmidt.6923960/
Don’t know if you had a chance to read these two posts yet. The first review compares the Nightforce to others, and the second compares Zero Comp to others. Although it’s not a direct comparison, the both reviewers look at the S&B so you might be able to use that overlaps in both reviews, so you might be able to use that as a common denominator to compare the Nightforce and Zero Comp. Sorry I can’t be more helpful!

I have had and ran both in a bunch of matches and currently still have my ZCO. What would you like to know?
I currently have 2 7-35 mil-XT scopes. I was at a PRS match and there were probably more guys running the ZCOs than Nightforce, although last year it seemed like more people were all over the 7-35 scopes.
I don’t want to be a sheep and just follow the pack but curious what makes the ZCO such a popular choice right now.

I currently have 2 7-35 mil-XT scopes. I was at a PRS match and there were probably more guys running the ZCOs than Nightforce, although last year it seemed like more people were all over the 7-35 scopes.
I don’t want to be a sheep and just follow the pack but curious what makes the ZCO such a popular choice right now.
Comparatively speaking between the 2 the ZCO is definitely better glass. Resolution, color, contrast, The image looks larger. Parallax is much more forgiving. More total elevation.
ZCO and TT are in that tier one and it kind of drops from there in terms of scopes. In addition with the NF price increase there’s not much difference between it and the ZCO now.

Utilizing the search menu I found this. There’s more threads too Besides this one below.

NKOTB.

Reactions: RyanO7
I’ve had both, recently got rid of my 7-35. I really liked it, actually regret getting rid of it. It all comes down to the features you prefer. For me the zco was better suited for my needs with better glass. I’ll be getting the 4-20 zco next.

Reactions: gebhardt02
Had a NF 7-35x56, sold it and bought a ZCO527...

ZCO is just better at everything, well except the zoom ratio.

Yeah, well, what's the actual zoom ratio of the NF 7-35x if we consider the tunneling at the low end? Doing a bit of math on the FOV specs suggests that it's actually 4.4:1, and not the 5:1 implied by the nominal magnification specs.

FWIW, I own the NF and not the ZCO. But that has nothing to do with the relative performance of the two optics.

Comparatively speaking between the 2 the ZCO is definitely better glass. Resolution, color, contrast, The image looks larger. Parallax is much more forgiving. More total elevation.
ZCO and TT are in that tier one and it kind of drops from there in terms of scopes. In addition with the NF price increase there’s not much difference between it and the ZCO now.
I did not realize NF had a price increase, they basically are the same price now...

I did not realize NF had a price increase, they basically are the same price now...
With that being said there are lots of NF on the used market at some very steep discounts. Not so much with the ZCO. I have owned both and currently am running the ZCO. I feel the ZCO is better than the Nightforce and with comparable pricing I would certainly buy the ZCO.

I was not aware of this either. Doesn’t seem like the best time to be raising prices especially in lieu of the competition. I think of Nightforce like Nike, yes they make some good shoes but you’re paying a lot for the name. Nightforce makes great scopes, but at the same price as ZCO? I also don’t see the big attraction to the 7-35 mag range, how many are using over 20x at distance and if you are you must live in some great climate for atmospherics to not mess with your image. The 7-35 has arguably the best glass that NF has put out to date, that along with great turrets and now a great reticle in the Mil-XT IMO has contributed to it being #1 last year according to PRB. Will be curious how high ZCO ranks in the next by the numbers for PRS.

Guys the Nightforce price hike was a while back, maybe a year ago? It certainly was not recent.

FWIW I run a 7-35 MIL-C. I really like the ATACR, but it is not a $3000+ scope as others have stated. I paid $2500-2600 for mine used, in great condition, a year or so ago, and think that is appropriately priced for what I would shell out for one new.

Guys the Nightforce price hike was a while back, maybe a year ago? It certainly was not recent.

FWIW I run a 7-35 MIL-C. I really like the ATACR, but it is not a $3000+ scope as others have stated. I paid $2500-2600 for mine used, in great condition, a year or so ago, and think that is appropriately priced for what I would shell out for one new.

Agreed. for NF in 2020 there was actually a price drop for most models.

On the ZCO topic, is anyone using the 4-20 or 5-27 in a non-PRS application? I'm sure they're more than capable but it seems like the majority of usage is in the PRS world, curious how people like them if used in hunting or other applications.

Screenshot_20200522-060448~2.png

On the ZCO topic, is anyone using the 4-20 or 5-27 in a non-PRS application? I'm sure they're more than capable but it seems like the majority of usage is in the PRS world, curious how people like them if used in hunting or other applications.
TS916, appreciate that, thought there was a recent hike in pricing which would have surprised me, I thought that NF was trending down a little so good to hear.

I don't shoot PRS but my style of shooting can be dynamic at my range with steel from 100 -1000. I also have the ZC420 on my hunting rifle currently but hunting season (elk) is still a ways out.

TS916, appreciate that, thought there was a recent hike in pricing which would have surprised me, I thought that NF was trending down a little so good to hear.

I don't shoot PRS but my style of shooting can be dynamic at my range with steel from 100 -1000. I also have the ZC420 on my hunting rifle currently but hunting season (elk) is still a ways out.

Oh sweet! How do you like the ZCO in lowlight or hunting situations? (sorry I havent messed with it yet, but seems very nice)

I really like the NF 7-35 (owned 4, 1 Mil-C, 2 Mil-XT, 1 H-59)with the Mil-XT as a match optic. I've had multiple Kahles(5-25 and 6-24), S&B's, Bushys, and the NF 7-35 is the first scope I've had that hasn't left me wanting more. The IQ is the best of the scopes I've owned. The elevation turrets are very positive (windage is a bit mushier) and spacing isn't too tight.

The build quality has been excellent since they have been the only brand I've owned that hasn't had to go back for repair/replacement. As far as optics go for PRS style matches I haven't really considered going to the next price point because I don't feel I'm losing out on anything with the 7-35. Not once since I've own one have I thought I needed better IQ, or I missed my intended correction because of the turret, or I need a feature that this scope doesn't have in order to be a more proficient shooter.

All of that to say I think if you get the NF 7-35 you will be in no way handicapped by it in competition in comparison to other optics. I haven't handled a ZCO or TT so I can't speak about them and my opinion is based on PRS style matches.

Im running the ZC 4x20 on a hunting rig with the mpct-1 reticle and it is an outstanding scope for that.It would be a little heavy to hump up and down mountains.

Reactions: CSTactical
Oh sweet! How do you like the ZCO in lowlight or hunting situations? (sorry I havent messed with it yet, but seems very nice)
I reviewed a bunch of "alpha class" ultra short scopes last year, but have only had my personal ZC420 for a few weeks and originally had it setup on my AI but just moved it over to my long range hunting rig. I've been trying to finish a review with a March 5-42 and Schmidt 5-45 so haven't had as much time to spend on the ZCO. My current low light king is my ZP5 5-25x56 and I would expect the 56mm to draw in a bit more light than the 50mm on the ZCO but I've been quite impressed with the ZCO so far.

I have both but kept my NF 7x35 because it is a deal for the money, sold the ZC and bought a second Tangent Theta fwiw

I have shot the 7x35 ATACR and the ZCO 5x27 side by side. The light conditions varied throughout the day. In some light conditions I preferred the ATACR, in others I preferred the ZCO. I did like the parallax adjustment better on the ZCO and in heavy mirage the ZCO definitely seems to offer a little more clarity.

The difference was not enough to make me want to sell my NF. The one thing I did not care for about the ZCO was the 35mm tube size. I was not interested in changing to an odd tube size. If I move away from my ATACR it would be for a Tangent Theta.

I am rolling with an ATACR on my Barrett, a K525 on my AXMC, a ZCO on my field/hunting gun, and a S&B on my SR25.

Right now I am doing the math in my head of how to go to ZCO on all of my guns. :unsure:

I have always called Nightforce the Toyota of the scope world. A good and reliable product with good support, but you're not getting the best of anything and you're not getting a discount.

I am rolling with an ATACR on my Barrett, a K525 on my AXMC, a ZCO on my field/hunting gun, and a S&B on my SR25.

Right now I am doing the math in my head of how to go to ZCO on all of my guns. :unsure:

I have always called Nightforce the Toyota of the scope world. A good and reliable product with good support, but you're not getting the best of anything and you're not getting a discount.
Haha not sure if I like that analogy or not but it seems fair. I also don’t like the thought of the ZCO being thought of so highly compared to the other. I have owned the K525 and sold it to get the NF, didn’t like the CA and tunneling. I don’t love the reticle on NF and hate the rotating ocular as I like keeping caps on my scope.
I Have a feeling I will need to keep my NF as I can’t sell them for much of anything.

Owned both. Only thing the atacr does better is parallax at 10m and you have slightly more magnification.

ZCO does everything else better, and noticeably at that. And plenty of rings out there for 36mm.

Reactions: CSTactical
I didn't want to jump on the ZCO train and didn't for a long time until the recent sale came out for the free mounts. Now that I have shot them all side by side, I would say it goes ZCO -> S&B -> Kahles -> Nightforce. The Kahles vs Nightforce is debatable but Shannon Kay's reticles and the turrets on the Kahles are just plain better.

Reactions: kindabitey
I didn't want to jump on the ZCO train and didn't for a long time until the recent sale came out for the free mounts. Now that I have shot them all side by side, I would say it goes ZCO -> S&B -> Kahles -> Nightforce. The Kahles vs Nightforce is debatable but Shannon Kay's reticles and the turrets on the Kahles are just plain better.
I felt the mil XT was the most promising reticle from NF but I think I still miss the SKMR3 and feel the ZCO option is the best combination of both. Turrets is a toss up, I liked the cap over windage on NF, actual clicks are similar both positive. I liked the rev indicator of the Kahles a lot, even though I never really used it.
parallax was better on the Kahles at distance, obviously the low end capability of the NF is better for super short range. I thought I loved the center parallax adjustment in the Kahles but I think I prefer the more traditional placement of the NF.
Again from all I am hearing the ZCO is the perfect offspring of both the NF and Kahles and kinda what I am looking for.

I felt the mil XT was the most promising reticle from NF but I think I still miss the SKMR3 and feel the ZCO option is the best combination of both. Turrets is a toss up, I liked the cap over windage on NF, actual clicks are similar both positive. I liked the rev indicator of the Kahles a lot, even though I never really used it.
parallax was better on the Kahles, I thought I loved the center parallax adjustment in the Kahles but I think I prefer the more traditional placement of the NF.
Again from all I am hearing the ZCO is the perfect offspring of both the NF and Kahles and kinda what I am looking for.

You would be right, its the best of Nightforce and Kahles with glass in it that is somewhere between S&B and TT.