• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 7-35x with MIL C

I have owned at least 10 NF scopes and always have a couple at a time...I always use the illum and dark room. Forget the manual - this works and you are done in 5 seconds.

I'm going to have to try that. I assume it's not NF specific, but to optics with illumination?

exceedingly

Thanks a lot for the tip. I will try it tonight.

I actually called NF yesterday and the one thing they asked was interesting. They asked if I were adjusting the parallax knob until I got the sharpest target image. I said yes. They said that the setting which produces the best focus of the target is not necessarily the parallax free setting. He said that in his experience backing off a tiny bit from the optimal focus will get you to the parallax free spot.

Anyone else that is a NF owner have that experience?

I just took possession if my first NF scope last week. ATACR F1 5-25x. Only mounted it and focused diopter so far. However, a few observations has me a bit worried.

1. Not used to the entire eyepiece rotating when spinning mag ring, but I knew about it going in.
2. I think it tunnels between 5x-7x. Never experienced this on any other scope I've owned. Going down in mag, from 7x-5x, a "ring" appears outside the image and grows as sight picture gets smaller towards 5x. Is that tunneling?
3. The elevation turret binds between ~1.5-mils to ~4.5-mils and becomes noticably harder to turn in that range, and again so in the same area in the second revolution. Is that a grease issue inside the turret cap? I've yet to take it off.

Other than this, it seems like a solid scope. Just hope I didn't get a lemon!

The eyepiece thing is talked about a lot but I honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about. The eyepiece cover that NF supplies is made by Tenebraex. The cover rotates so if it gets in your way, it takes a second to move it out of your way.

I don't know about the 5-25 but my turret is smooth all the way across and there is no tunneling. That sounds like an issue. I would definitely call their CS department. They were top notch when I spoke to them yesterday

I just took possession if my first NF scope last week. ATACR F1 5-25x. Only mounted it and focused diopter so far. However, a few observations has me a bit worried.

2. I think it tunnels between 5x-7x. Never experienced this on any other scope I've owned. Going down in mag, from 7x-5x, a "ring" appears outside the image and grows as sight picture gets smaller towards 5x. Is that tunneling?

Yes that is tunneling. It's been noted that NF 5-25's and S&B PMii 5-25's both have tunneling from 5-7x. That's why a few of us went with the 7-35 instead as it does not tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for the tip. I will try it tonight.

I actually called NF yesterday and the one thing they asked was interesting. They asked if I were adjusting the parallax knob until I got the sharpest target image. I said yes. They said that the setting which produces the best focus of the target is not necessarily the parallax free setting. He said that in his experience backing off a tiny bit from the optimal focus will get you to the parallax free spot.

Anyone else that is a NF owner have that experience?

Yes, that is the exact thing my 5-25 was doing. To get rid of parallax you have to refocus the image.

1. Not used to the entire eyepiece rotating when spinning mag ring, but I knew about it going in.
3. The elevation turret binds between ~1.5-mils to ~4.5-mils and becomes noticably harder to turn in that range, and again so in the same area in the second revolution. Is that a grease issue inside the turret cap? I've yet to take it off.

Other than this, it seems like a solid scope. Just hope I didn't get a lemon!

I have the 4-16...
1. Love this feature.. can grab it like an ape and twist. gloves, no gloves, doesn't matter. lots of real estate.
2. yes, this is tunneling and a know issue with the 5-25. FOV stays the same as magnification decreases, thus creating the tunnel effect.
3. check the 3x set screws.. if they are not tightened evenly, the inside of the turret can rub the turret housing (think non-concentric circles).

The eyepiece thing is talked about a lot but I honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about. The eyepiece cover that NF supplies is made by Tenebraex. The cover rotates so if it gets in your way, it takes a second to move it out of your way.

Imagine you shoot tactical and/or PRS matches or PRS-style matches. Now imagine you're shooting a timed stage. Maybe 30 seconds or whatever. Doesn't really matter how long it is. Now imagine you have to shoot Target 1 at some distance then go to Target 2 at some other distance and then Target 3 at yet another distance. Maybe this requires you to adjust the magnification at some point. Now imagine you forget to rotate that scope cap and the lid gets in the way when you go to rack the bolt, eating up time. Now imagine you do remember to adjust the scope cap. But that also takes up time. Not much. But time is time. Sure, you can just remove the scope cap and not use it. But it also seems like a design flaw to me. Although I guess it's a compromise between that and having a huge purchase with which to grab and adjust magnification in a hurry. I guess Nightforce is more concerned with that, than the cap. And I understand that mentality as well.

Thanks, all! Eases my mind a bit. I'll open the turret up soon and mess with it once I can get to the range.

I understand the botching about the whole eyepiece rotating, I was one of this people for years. I just recently went all in on two 5-25s and a 4-16 of these and sold two other tier one scopes to do it. I thought that would be something I hated but decided the pros outweighed the cons on this optic. After spending a little bit of time with it, I realized it's not a big deal at all. As noted, there's tunneling on the low end. It's also a tiny ass reticle at those mags and not something that I, anyone else I know, or most people out there I Imagine are going to do any shooting at. Spin that bitch to be straight up when you're on Max mag and it will never be in the way of the Bolt for a right handed rifle and never hit the stock at any useable mag on the low end. I understand timed stages and whatnot, and while I don't compete I know if time is that short or targets that many, you shouldn't be wasting time swinging the mag around a bunch. You should be shooting.

Imagine you shoot tactical and/or PRS matches or PRS-style matches. Now imagine you're shooting a timed stage. Maybe 30 seconds or whatever. Doesn't really matter how long it is. Now imagine you have to shoot Target 1 at some distance then go to Target 2 at some other distance and then Target 3 at yet another distance. Maybe this requires you to adjust the magnification at some point. Now imagine you forget to rotate that scope cap and the lid gets in the way when you go to rack the bolt, eating up time. Now imagine you do remember to adjust the scope cap. But that also takes up time. Not much. But time is time. Sure, you can just remove the scope cap and not use it. But it also seems like a design flaw to me. Although I guess it's a compromise between that and having a huge purchase with which to grab and adjust magnification in a hurry. I guess Nightforce is more concerned with that, than the cap. And I understand that mentality as well.

Mine can't possibly get stuck on the bolt as I am left handed. I'll let you know if my opinion changes after I use it at a match. I doubt that it will though. The advantages this optic provides me are easily worth the minor negatives.

Some of you guys are overthinking the eye piece thing. Honestly you could get vortex defender caps or for the ocular and since it folds flat it should get you in the clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only mentioned the rotating of the eyepiece because it's new to me. After messing with the caps on my barricade during practice, I am just going to remove them and resort to my favorite lens caps....the stretchy neoprene scope cover. I also have an Armageddon Trojan to cover the scope and action during matches so it's all moot.

Agreed.. easy button=don't run scope caps during a match. They add no value and just one more thing to mess up when the clock starts.