• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF Atacr 1-8 vs vortex gen 3 1-10

Does everyone else’s (razor 1-10) illumination dim really quickly once your eye gets off centre, it’s pretty annoying and a bit unexpected. Is this normal?

Does everyone else’s (razor 1-10) illumination dim really quickly once your eye gets off centre, it’s pretty annoying and a bit unexpected. Is this normal?
I believe associated with iluminating the FFP reticle, though this is significantly more pronounced in the ATACR than the Razor. I notice it in the Nightforce, I rarely notice it in the Vortex, probably just due to the fact the eye box is much more forgiving including this factor.

Same on the Leupold Mk 6. I think it's to do with how the etched reticle is illuminated. I don't think this is a problem on the dual focal plane S&B's, or the new dual focal plane March 1-10.

Reactions: rydah
Same on the Leupold Mk 6. I think it's to do with how the etched reticle is illuminated. I don't think this is a problem on the dual focal plane S&B's, or the new dual focal plane March 1-10.
I believe associated with iluminating the FFP reticle, though this is significantly more pronounced in the ATACR than the Razor. I notice it in the Nightforce, I rarely notice it in the Vortex, probably just due to the fact the eye box is much more forgiving including this factor.
When I had the 1-10 for T&E it would do that if I was dialed up to a higher magnification but I didn't really have that issue on 1X, it was next best thing to a dedicated red dot on 1X.
Thanks for the replies!

Dunno which scope is better but I really like the looks of the FC-DMx. The Vortex is cheaper as goes to 10 but the difference between 8 and 10 is pretty minuscule.

Just get a 6x then. The difference between 6x and 8x is minuscule. 😉

Agree. Just between the ATACR 1-8 and Vortex 1-6 which I assume is what you meant. Dunno what that sweet looking SAI is.

But even in a SFP 1-6 if you were going to use the reticle for holds for longer targets you will be on 6x anyways so it's almost a non issue. Had always been when using my 1-6x SFP.

True that true that. Probably the case too with most LPVOs. I’d be curious to who puts a FFP regardless of range, and leaves it at say x4. My 2.5-10 NF even is either on min or mostly max and max is doable but I’m sure there’s better. I’d probably rather have a 6x that was wide open eye box wise on max power vs something higher that was overtly picky.

I have the ATRCR, I also have the k16i, I also have the razor 1-6, my razor 1-10 is coming soon. I compete heavily in 3 gun. Each has strengths and weaknesses, K16i I use in matches where max range is 300ish and I need to be fast and light for close and medium targets. The big eyebox and huge fov are fast off hand in and out of compromised positions. Trying to shoot through the bottom notch in a vtac wall on your belly is surprisingly pleasant with the kahles at moderate magnification. The ATACR is a beautiful robust scope clarity is amazing nicest one to look through, my big problem is running and gunning is not ideal since the eye box and fov can be picky. Off a bench or prone great, pretzeled up behind some pile of wood breathing hard is anoying. It is clear enough to shoot extremely well but at this price the eyebox bugs me. Razors have good eyeboxes and good fov, if the razor 3 has a good middle ground between these two it will probably be fastest overall 3gun scope for me. I need more forgiving than NF but bit more mag and ffp vs kahles. We shal see soon.
What one would you pick for mosty mid range ?

What one would you pick for mosty mid range ?
Depending on what you mean by mid range. For me, in 3 gun, with an AR that's 300 and in. With a different caliber much different answer. Assuming my use case I am winning with the razor 1-10 and it is the best 3 gun scope available. If the match goes out past 300 or small hard targets its what I run every time which is most major matches. My local matches with nothing over 200 I still love the kahles. In some matches you can change gear in your division so I may use the 1-10 and a red dot upper in the same match. But I have 3 full rifles + a dot upper ready to roll at all times. If your trying to have 1 rig buy a razor 2e 1-6 and call it good. If you hate money like me go nuts kahles 1-8 or swaro or whatever. Only definitive advice don't use ATACR for 3 gun, its best for impressing people at the range.

If you hate money like me go nuts kahles 1-8 or swaro or whatever. Only definitive advice don't use ATACR for 3 gun, its best for impressing people at the range.
Interesting. At the local gas gun classes they have a 1-8 recce class ans there’s a pile of 1-8 atacrs

the Bender 1-8cc looks super interesting but I think it’s $5k lol

Thanks I mean for like DMR almost SPR ranges.
You using on the flat range or in the field?

1-8 ATACRs reticle excels in and around woods and brush for me. Have not used the others to compare, but the the bold lines on the ATACR works well when there is a lot noise in the background.

Reactions: deersniper
Best glass I’ve used in the range was the Minox 1-8, I tried the NF, the Cronus 1-6 FFP (which I kept) and the G3 1-10. the G3 1-10 is on my primary now and I’ve got about 1200 rounds through it. For performance per dollar, its my first choice. Minox 1-8 is awesome glass, and best adjustments(knobs) in the LPVO range, reticle not daylight nuclear bright like the G3, but cost wise, G3 i would buy again. If I’m spending Minox or ATACR money I’m going with the Minox before the NF. The Cronus BTR 1-6 is now a SFP, so I kept my FFP 1-6 cause it works and I got it for a good deal.

Definitely liking the G3 the more I use it. Another 200 rnds down the pipe and I'm getting repeatable sight pictures during stress fire drills.

It's not perfect IMO. Still prefer to have an RMR parked on top for wacky positional drills . (honestly I prefer all LPVO's with them) So to me its a $2400
optic 😉

Attachments

• 20210905_193518~3.jpg
    20210905_193518~3.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
But even in a SFP 1-6 if you were going to use the reticle for holds for longer targets you will be on 6x anyways so it's almost a non issue. Had always been when using my 1-6x SFP.
Yes. But that definitely changes when moving to a 1-8. Its the only downside I have since moving from the K16i to the K18i. I honestly think I would prefer the K16i with the K18's extra brightness and visually larger reticle for this exact reason.

Reactions: inertia
Yes. But that definitely changes when moving to a 1-8. Its the only downside I have since moving from the K16i to the K18i. I honestly think I would prefer the K16i with the K18's extra brightness and visually larger reticle for this exact reason.
This is a great insight and the only reason I don't run a K18 in competition. If I need to hit a dozen steel in a field on the clock with the near 100 and the far 500 I would need a SFP on 8x the whole time which would slow me down and risk getting lost in the targets.

Reactions: Burdy
This is a great insight and the only reason I don't run a K18 in competition. If I need to hit a dozen steel in a field on the clock with the near 100 and the far 500 I would need a SFP on 8x the whole time which would slow me down and risk getting lost in the targets.
Just happened to me at last week's competition and that was the last straw. Stage required one hit each on opposing side reduced torso 200 yd targets and one hit on a 550 yd target and you had to repeat the exercise five times. I finished it but I was simply too slow to acquire each target at 8x for my liking. I came home and ripped off the k18i I and put on a Vudu 1 to 10. I'm done with second focal plane on any platform that can be used for defense.

Just happened to me at last week's competition and that was the last straw. Stage required one hit each on opposing side reduced torso 200 yd targets and one hit on a 550 yd target and you had to repeat the exercise five times. I finished it but I was simply too slow to acquire each target at 8x for my liking. I came home and ripped off the k18i I and put on a Vudu 1 to 10. I'm done with second focal plane on any platform that can be used for defense.

I am beginning to feel a little vindicated...

ILya