• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF ATACR parallax

Danrobberg

Lance Criminal
Supporter
Minuteman
May 31, 2017
I took my new 5-25 atacr to the range today and was a bit surprised with how far off the numbers on the parallax knob were compared to the distance I was shooting. I know they arnt meant to be exact , just a reference but I was shooting at 700 yards and the parallax knob was at 200 for a clear view of the target. Is this normal or does this seem way to far off for an atacr?

Pretty par for the atacr. I have a 5-25 and a 7-35 and the numbers don’t mean a thing

Ive struggled with the same thing on two different nxs 5.5-22x56 for nearly 2 years. The rep told me the scope should easily be parralax free by 100 yds. I think its more like 3-400 yds.

Ive found that a precise eyepiece adjustment (which is difficult bacause of the thin reticle and extra fine thread - sharp eyes adjust faster than it can be turned), extra time adjusting parallax at close range (ending with a cw rotation), trying to put my cheek and shoulder in the very same place, and zeroing my rifles at 600 yards will mostly minimize the problem, but it is my #1 complaint with the NXS series.

Also as matt mentioned, i did not experience this with the NF 8-32x56 benchrest scope.

My two are the same way, not sure on the 4-16 yet. Sometimes I'm at the 200 mark when shooting 1k. Annoying but normal. Just don't look at it, that's what I tell myself.

Reactions: Geno C.
Have you guys adjusted the diopter properly? Also, to be sure the parallax is correct, secure the rifle somehow and move your eye through the eye box (look at the target and move your head without touching the stock) - if the crosshairs move around on the target then it isn’t right.

Have you guys adjusted the diopter properly? Also, to be sure the parallax is correct, secure the rifle somehow and move your eye through the eye box (look at the target and move your head without touching the stock) - if the crosshairs move around on the target then it isn’t right.

Yes, I have set mine. Fine tuned it several times. Called NF, told it's normal and to truck on. Assumed it was normal but called anyway to be sure since its the furthest off I've ever had. Just how it is.

Thanks for the reply’s. I just switched over from a gen 2 razor and those marks on the parallax were pretty close. On a stage at a match I would just set the number on the parallax close to what the range of the stage would be and it seems to work well. I guess I’ll just have to get used to it and figure out what ranges line up with the numbers on the parallax. Other than that I loved the scope. The turrets felt nice and really liked the h59 reticle. Honestly could t really see a difference between the glass on the atacr and a gen 2 razor side by side but I am by no means an expert on that at all.

Parallax does not mean sharp focus. Adjust the parallax so there is no movement of the reticle over the target when you move your head slightly side to side or up and down. On my ATACR the numbers aren't exact but they are close.

all ATACRS I’ve shot with have had non matching parallax #’s. No big deal. Their parallax forgiveness is very good so that helps with the severity of the issue.

I have 2 ATACR F1's. Both of them are exactly as you described yours. I have talked with multiple other shooters that have multiple ATACR F1's and they are all like this. One thing to realize is that for an targets from 300 yards to 1,000 yards there is a very short rotation on the paralax knob that eliminates paralax. This is a huge plus for shooting targets at multiple distances while on the clock. I basically set my paralax to 150 and leave it for most PRS stages. Mine are paralax free for 100 yard group shooting just below the 75 yard mark on the knob. I have used some other high end scopes where you could not go from a 400 yard target to a 600 yard target without adjusting the paralax knob in between because the image became so bad and paralax needed to be dialed out.

Yes, the yard marks ore off, but the ATACR scopes are incredibly forgiving when it comes to paralax. I love them.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Normal. But drives me batshit crazy. I wish they wouldn't have numbers, or would have a screw(s) for the user to loosen and reset to their actual turret and thus the numbers like you re-zero your windage knob. It's an OCD thing for me!!!

The ATACR's seem very difficult to get parallax free at short range, out to 150 yds or so. But, beyond that, they are super forgiving and easy to get set. Took some getting used to but now I wouldn't have any other - perfect tracking and return to zero.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Just picked up 5-25 F1 ATACR and the parallax(reticle movement free) is off. At least when it’s parallax free, it’s a clear image.
Regardless, that’s going to make PRS tricky. Two targets. Distance between the targets is 60m and yet the parallax didn’t even change 60m in accordance with their marking. “Markings are for reference only.” That’s a big negative. That’s not even “reference” worthy.

I’ll hit farther distances to see what it does.

C1DA39D0-70E7-4F8F-B066-F83082C539AC.jpeg

F91428B7-5659-444F-BCC5-A73BCF494E69.jpeg

Last edited:
Just picked up 5-25 F1 ATACR and the parallax(reticle movement free) is off. At least when it’s parallax free, it’s a clear image.
Regardless, that’s going to make PRS tricky. Two targets. Distance between the targets is 60m and yet the parallax didn’t even change 60m in accordance with their marking. “Markings are for reference only.” That’s a big negative. That’s not even “reference” worthy.

I’ll hit farther distances to see what it does.

View attachment 7173360
View attachment 7173361
I would bet the PRS guys aren’t fiddling with the parralax on targets that are that close together. I would bet they arent fooling with it at all during a stage.

the only time I touch my paralax knob is when shooting at 100 yards. Past that I set it and never touch it. I can shoot at 800 and down at 200 without touching anything. I dont shoot PRS, injust play around a bit.

Some scopes are more forgiving than others though. All paralax doesnt need to be dialed out anyhow.

• Haha
Reactions: tnichols and JB.IC
I have three ATACR's and the distance markers correlate well with a parallax free sight picture. Must have gotten lucky there...As others have said it's a non issue regardless, so long as you can dial parallax out of the equation you're good to go.

The setting needed to dial out parallax error will be dependent on temperature. In cold / freezing temps you will need to dial more than you would in warm / hot temps. I first noticed it on a Schmidt & Bender, and then I tested all of my Schmidt’s and found the same thing. Then I tested an Atacr and Bushnell HDMR2 and those also exhibited the same calibration shift. Totally normal, as the distance between lenses shifts slightly as the metal tube & parts expand and contract.

The parallax setting also heavily depends on the weather/light conditions. A sunny day usually produces a different result compared to cloudy weather.

Reactions: chuckp
Just got in a new 7-35x ATACR and the parallax was spot on for the few mins I played with it; meaning when the reticle was parallax free, the image was clear and it all matched the range markings on the parallax knob(give or take a cunt hair). Very happy about that. However, I cannot say the same about the 5-25x ATACR.

Edit: never mind... took it to farther distances and it off just like the 5-25x.

Last edited:
I don't understand how the parallax can be off so far at different times on the NF's. I hate this and I have both a 7-35 ATACR and a NX8 4-32 side by side and they both do the same thing (The NX8 does not have yardage marks, but will be WAY different every time I take it out). I actually sent the NX8 back to NF as I thought it was broken, they sent it back and said it was OK.
I can take my S&B PMII and almost range with it, it is never off the yardage marks very far (maybe 10-20 yards), but the NF may say 700 yards at 150 actual and the next time only 100 yards.

I really hate it at close range on my .22, as 50 yard setting may vary as much as 1/4 turn on the knob. I had an AMG on it before and it worked fine also, very little drift.

I'm probably going to get rid of these as it is not necessary, if S&B and Vortex can do it, so can NF.

Reactions: aku and JB.IC
Here's a reply from Tod Litt (NF rep) in an email convo with me.

"Parallax is a weird animal. It also gets manipulated by diopter adjustment. We set diopters for 20/15 vision at the factory. All adjustments at the factory are done in a controlled climate.

Climate and environmentals play a serious role in parallax. We used to just put hash marks on the knob but sooooo many folks wanted some sort of reference that we started putting distance numbers. Unless it gets extremely hot or you have diopter adjusted to an extreme end, I don't think you will see a terrible variance."

I have been playing with 7-35 F1 today ad it looks very sensitive to the diopter setting. I also verified each distance with Leica Rangemaster 1600. I have found that parallax is off by small drift, but not that bad as some posted here. My thought is to carefully set the diopter (and lock it firm with ring) and then parallax should be good to go. I will continue to check it for weeks in different weather conditions as well and let you know. Hope it will pass OK.

HA. My NF NXS and ATACR scopes are all numberless on the parallax turret. My ATACR is SFP and the one complaint I've always had on it is that its just too damn hard to dial out all the parallax. Also, it's hard to accept the above explanation from NF when every single one of my Vortex (Gen1 PST FFP and Razor G2) have the parallax dead on with the number on the turret.

Reactions: JB.IC
...do you see three small screws on parallax ring knob at ATACR F1 7-35? I am thinking of which they are for. If they hold the ring with distance scale markings only, it could be possible to readjust this scale to your eyes to match closer meter/yardage marks vs. real distance. Maybe it could help resolving this "parallax issue" a little bit.

Last edited:
Parallax does not mean sharp focus. Adjust the parallax so there is no movement of the reticle over the target when you move your head slightly side to side or up and down. On my ATACR the numbers aren't exact but they are close.
I just learned this recently and wow what a difference. Makes me wonder how many folks struggle with 'focusing' the parallax only to be just as frustrated down range with parallax that isn't fine tune tweaked. I know I did for years!

Reactions: shoot4fun
maybe 100 means 700 in china ? like friend means enemy and internation water way means Its property of china inc .

Can you explain how a scope removes parallax error without also focusing the target to the reticle?

Last edited:
Can you explain how a scope removes parallax error without also focusing the target to the reticle?
In theory if everything is setup right it should not happen, but tolerances in the lenses, parts and optic sometime shift that border a bit.

Reactions: FourT6and2
All my NF scopes have been fairly off, and I’ve never seen any brand scope where the numbers actually matched up. I prefer the TT method of just a triangle for this reason.

The numbers are just there to make you feel good. They will never match on any scope due to all the variables that consist with parallax. Lighting, environment, Glass tolerances, manufacturing tolerance, etc. They will literally never match perfect on any scope.....

Reactions: Guthwine
The numbers are just there to make you feel good. They will never match on any scope due to all the variables that consist with parallax. Lighting, environment, Glass tolerances, manufacturing tolerance, etc. They will literally never match perfect on any scope.....

Yeah, but marked 700 on dial when at 200, then next time out 100 at 200???? My Schmidt may vary from 10-20 yards MAX at any distance.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
Yeah, but marked 700 on dial when at 200, then next time out 100 at 200???? My Schmidt may vary from 10-20 yards MAX at any distance.
That mine! At 300 my parallax adjusted properly is at about ~ 600

Reactions: nmcrae
Depends on the optic design and how much the lense has to be moved from distance setting to distance setting. Tolerances can have a huge impact if the lense only travels a few tenths of a millimeter.

lens shape/size internally (reticle) and erector tube size is something I want to know about various scopes - I think therein lies a lot of the unknowns that haven't already been mentioned. 18mm vs 21/22mm vs 24mm

IDK though I haven't had the guts to tear down my scopes just for that info - but Id like manufactures to include the reticle/erector lens sizing in their spec sheets going forward ....dreaming.

Reactions: shoobe01
The only reason the numbers are even on there is for dumb marketing reasons

That knob, you really just turn until the parallax is gone, ask todd hodnett

Reactions: Sako man