• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NF is busy

RGraff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2003
La Grande,OR
I contacted NF about adding their hs turrets and zero stop to my 3.5-15 x 50. Their response was that they're too busy and weren't taking any upgrade or retro type work on until after Sept. of this year.

Is there another company offering this type of upgrade for NF scopes or am I stuck waiting four months?

Re: NF is busy

Your stuck unless you want to void the warranty completely. I would sit tight like the rest of us that want new reticles or turrets. I don't know of any other companies that are willing to work on NF scopes either.

Patience is a virtue! There are no viable alternatives for the services you want, so if you want them bad enough you will have to wait. Just sit tight and get in the back of the line (don't worry...you'll be in good company there as many people are anxious for conversions)!
wink.gif

The only exception might be if the scope is on a working rifle for MIL/LE and then you might get NF to make an exception.

Sell in in the for sale forum here and buy a new/used scope with the options you want??? Just an option for those who can't wait. Lack of patients often costs money,and that's the price you pay.

You could always just sell it and buy the one with the upgrades already on it. (after I replied I see the guy before me more or less said the same thing)
I sent mine in just one day before they put there 6 month hold in place.
If remember correctly, I am into it for $320. plus shippping both ways.
SScott

Yeah...it's a working rifle/scope. I hate to be down for more than a few days. Maybe buying the new one and selling the old is the way to go. Me and patience don't generally get along.
smile.gif

i just bought the 3.5-15x50 and the damn thing had debris in it....just my luck. Craig in returns and warrantys said the turn aroung would be about 2 weeks....a wait till september seems like a long time, sounds like you have luck like me.....sorry man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just bought the 3.5-15x50 and the damn thing had debris in it....just my luck. Craig in returns and warrantys said the turn aroung would be about 2 weeks....a wait till september seems like a long time, sounds like you have luck like me.....sorry man. </div></div>

WOW! Debris in a NF scope. I guess they really are busy. Seems like that would have been an easy thing to spot during their extensive QC testing.

They still put a priority on warranty work. I recently had to send a 2.5-10 back. Door to door was less than two weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just bought the 3.5-15x50 and the damn thing had debris in it....just my luck. Craig in returns and warrantys said the turn aroung would be about 2 weeks....a wait till september seems like a long time, sounds like you have luck like me.....sorry man. </div></div>

WOW! Debris in a NF scope. I guess they really are busy. Seems like that would have been an easy thing to spot during their extensive QC testing. </div></div>

I have a 2.5-10 here that needs to go back due to floaties inside. They look like shavings from the machining operations. I guess every company screws up here and there.

yeah i was just a little upset, they were very polite and helpful. my "floaties" kinda look like dandruff believe it or not but there is also about 15-20 very small pieces of dust...i think i just got a "bad" one, if there is such a thing...

As others before me have already stated, and you may have already decided, sell your scope and purchase the one you one. That's what I did.

I'm not a competition shooter so the high-speed turrets don't matter to me but I did want the NP-R1 reticle with my zero stop turrets. I didn't care for the NP-R2 reticle so I sold my NXS 5.5-22x50 NP-R2 ZS on here for $1650 and then purchased a NIB NXS 5.5-22x50 NP-R1 on eBay for $1725.

buy a vortex. they wont tell you they're too busy. they will overnight it if you really need it leo/ad or not. top notch products and top notch customer service.

I dunno...I'm trying to do business with them. I wasn't asking for the work at no cost. I'm happy to pay for an upgrade I think is worthwhile. Telling me not to bother them until after September runs counter to any customer service practices I've ever given or received.

Love the product, no issues there. Today the CS seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

I don't think you could call that bad CS. It sounds like if you have a problem with your scope they would be more than willing to fix it, and it would only take about two weeks based on the other replies. In your case, you don't need a repair, you want to purchase an upgrade, big difference. NF are popular scopes and thus have a lot of people purchase from them. They even have a new military contract on their scopes that they have to fill so they are probably currently working at 100% capacity and do not have the manpower to currently perform upgrades. I wouldn't say a company has poor CS because the product I want it on backorder. I, like many here, am patiently waiting for my new SWFA SS scope that is going to be on backorder for a while, but that doesn't mean the company has bad CS, they just have a high demand for a product that has a limited turnout rate. Now, if your scope was broken and NF said you couldn't get it fixed until September, that would constitute poor CS. Or if they were rude to you on the phone, that too could be considered poor CS. But not being able to provide the product you want from them right now, that is not poor CS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RGraff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno...I'm trying to do business with them. I wasn't asking for the work at no cost. I'm happy to pay for an upgrade I think is worthwhile. Telling me not to bother them until after September runs counter to any customer service practices I've ever given or received.

Love the product, no issues there. Today the CS seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere.
</div></div>

So just curious.

Did they tell you "We are sorry but modifications have been suspended until September due to yada yada yada" or did they tell you "sorry we don't have time to modify and upgrade your scope because we are busy"?

Is their customer service lacking in your book because they won't do what you want them to, or because they were rude and unpleasant and disrespectful to you?

If the latter.....care to elaborate?

Did you see this message on their website? Nightforce Factory Conversion Page Link

I don't know. I'd rather have them be straight forward and honest regarding their leadtimes rather than take on work they don't have the resources to complete in a timely or high quality manner.

No company has unlimited resources. Prioritizing is just a fact of life.

Like was said above, if you have to have it "right now", dump the one you have and go buy what you want.

X2 I call it honesty. I would much rather be told the truth up front, than to send it in and wait forever. Warranty is still be processed in a timely manner.

I want it. I want it now. I don't want to pay for it.

I like how optics have become the new custom rifle.

Not sure how anyone can call this bad CS.

G.A. Precision said 2-3 months wait for my GAP 10. Is that bad customer service? It's not in my book. I call it waiting for a quality product that a lot of other people want and I was late getting in line.

As stated before, sell yours and buy the one you want.

Apparently my use of the term "customer service" doesn't sit well with some of you so let me attempt to clarify.

No, not at any point in time nor in any manner was anyone at NF rude or unpleasant to deal with. I did not, in fact, see the attached message you pointed out but it does in essence reflect what was said to me in an email.

I am a fan of NF products. Love there scopes. Wish I had more. It's good stuff. The particular scope in question could use an upgrade as I think that upgrade is beneficial to what I use the scope for.

I understand being busy. I know what it's like to realize new product demand and/or the subsequent growing pains. My heartburn over this matter (and it really is a small amount of heartburn) was that NF has chosen to prioritize new customer demand (or whatever it is) over or above prior/current customer demand. That's all. It's a business decision someone at the upper levels of the company had to make and they made it. I don't fault them for that or for putting the needs of their company first. I applaud their success and wish them more of it.

That said...I have a need and, at the present time, NF is unable or unwilling to accommodate that need. I have in the past, on occasion, sent other and similar types of products back to other manufacturers for upgrades or re-builds and I can honestly say I've never been told I was going to have to wait four months before they could help me. Never. So this is something new I am not happy to deal with. If I decide to part company with them, NF will go their way and I'll go mine. No problem. I have no hard feelings over this and I doubt they do either.

Originally, I felt compelled to share my brief correspondence as a sort of heads up to other NF owners considering similar upgrades. That's all. For some of you to get bent over my use of the term "customer service" is a bit perplexing but then again, it is the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure how anyone can call this bad CS.

G.A. Precision said 2-3 months wait for my GAP 10. Is that bad customer service? It's not in my book. I call it waiting for a quality product that a lot of other people want and I was late getting in line.
</div></div>Nope, I think if a company says 2-3 months or hell, 8 months-THEN delivers within a reasonable time of that quote then thats good CS. Bad CS is a 2 week quote that stretches to 2 months without communication etc. With good, reputable companies I'm sure a longer wait can turn out better results than a lot of the shorter wait, bust it out, no communication deals(there are probably also exceptions here also)

Rgraff, I'm not sure why you're upset about the 4 months waiting time to upgrade your scope.
I think they're being honest about it and let you know up front and not try to jerk you around. I have no problem for waiting 4 months and knowing my scope is done right. I hate when company rushing to get their stuff done and ship it out as soon as they can to make more money.
I used to waited 6 months for a silencer to get transfer from the manufacturer to my class 3 dealer on an IN STOCK item. The manufacturer keep telling me it will be 2 weeks or "oh, I'm holding it in my hand right now"...yeah right. I'm glad you're not in the NFA item and try to rush the ATF agency to approve your form 4...lol

Reminds me of the guy that walks into my jewelry store the day before his anniversary wanting a custom wrap for his wife engagement ring. I politely tell him, 4-6 weeks for the wax model for him to approve, another 4-6 weeks for casting, and another week for setting the stones and finishing. So maybe 10 but up to 14 weeks if he wants me to do it. That's how long it takes to do it right with our current workload, and that's the only way I'll put my name on it. I'm sure NF works the same way. I just got told 12 weeks on a rebarrel and brake from my smith, that's just the game we're playin. If you want NF to upgrade your scope, and do it right, then be patient. If not, sell it and move on.

Nightforce can not make everyone happy, they can only try to the best of their ability.And I believe they go out of their way.

Their choice to suspend modifications seems like a wise choice in my opinion. New growth is what sustains companies for the long term. Having to suspend a service that sucks up valuable resources in order to meet current demand seems like a decision that had to be well thought out for the best interest of the company.

They still service the customers that have warranty claims. But capacity is finite and witnessed through many companies in the industry. With the current state of the economy, that seems to be a good problem to have.

They didn't look over prior/current customer demand although that is your perception and perception feeds reality. They are still going to offer their modification service, but at a later date when capacity allows. Unfortunately it just does not align with the convenience level for everyone. I happen to know that modifications to scopes utilize much more time than actually building a new scope from scratch. I've witnessed what goes into changing a reticle and a set of adjustment turrets. Not easy by any means, but it was a service they felt beneficial to offer in an effort to service the customer to the best of their ability.

I'm sure it truly pains Nightforce to have an unhappy customer as they have a truly great reputation for servicing the customer very well.

Like I stated in the opening of my response. They cannot please everyone, they can only try to the best of their ability.

I'd like to think my response and the responses of others may suede your dissatisfaction.

I'm no NF fanboy, with the exception of my BR I like FFP scopes, that said...

[rant]

Bad CS my ass. Bad CS would be to take your scope and your money and send it back for Christmas. That's bad CS. Good CS is knowing what your capabilities are not overextending yourself, AND being honest and upfront with your customers. Part of that is understanding that there are spoiled brats in the world that have never had to wait for anything and accustomed to getting exactly what they want when they want it and will whine about it when they don't, and you're just going to have to deal with it.

Just a guess here, but I'm betting that they are trying to complete enough scopes for delivery commitments and preserve enough capacity for warranty work. There is only so much equipment and so many people to do the work, and hiring day labor at the Home Depot isn't really something that a high tech manufacturer can do.

So I guess if someone's gotta have it right f'n now they need to buy one configured like they want it.

[/rant]

Well...all right then. Last time.

I'm pretty sure I was clear as to the level of my disappointment. Pretty low. Actually not even upset. I posted to give other NF owners considering similar upgrades a heads up on the wait and to find out if I had any other options. I never used the words "bad CS"...just that I was disappointed with the CS I received. I also admitted that CS may not have been the proper term to use. Whatever. I'm also pretty sure I never said that I need it done "right f'n" now either. While I'm disappointed I can't get my upgrades for what I feel is a relatively long time, I certainly understand NF's position and I am happy for their successes. Stated that pretty clearly too...I thought.

Don't know how else to say what I've said any clearer. I'm a NF fan and like their products (there, I said it again). Apparently there are no options for me other than to wait or sell what I have and buy a new one, which is cool with me. Not the fix I was looking for but I can live with it. That said...I'm done with this.

I usually have good luck in asking for advice or when I have a question here. This one felt like I was living in a bad sitcom.
smile.gif

RGraff,

Yep, you are stuck for 4 months just like me. Only NF works or does mods to NF. Probably neither one of us would want other fingers in our scopes anyway.

I understand your frustration and disappointment at not being able to upgrade your NF in a more speedy fashion. I also have an NXS that I want tweaked, so I will have to leave it on that rifle until things smooth out and catch up in Orofino.

I would like to remind people of something not mentioned in this thread….

At a time when most companies are contemplating moving more or all of their production outside of U.S. borders to increase profit margins (ala Eagle Industries, Butler Creek, Uncle Mikes, …. I could add to this list forever…..) NightForce is trying very, very hard to bring more of its production into the U.S.

Attempting to do this in the face of world market influences is difficult. Attempting to work around world market trends AND current U.S. economic troubles would be very difficult. Keeping the above in mind, one has to think that the only way a company could succeed in not only surviving but staying healthy and growing would be to work smart.

NF has learned to work with a very lean crew of talented and motivated employees. Their facilities and equipment are also scaled to do the best job with little or no waste of time resources. Whenever demand for a product spikes, you are faced with backlogs or adding inventory/infrastructure/capacity.

Adding infrastructure is very costly and double edged. First it costs a lot of money to add floor space, equipment and trained employees. If the spike in product demand turns into sustained growth, that cost is understandably offset and accounted for. If however, the spike turns out to be just that and the added infrastructure has already been put into motion, you have a monster to feed with no additional product demand to support it.

At that point, you can certainly layoff the new employees but the building space and equipment is still there with its associated monthly costs still hitting your operating budget.

Staying healthy and profitable sometimes means having to make tough decisions. In the short term, some of those decisions may not make the business owners or their customers happy but it will most certainly be the right thing to do.

While I think everybody already realizes all the above, I get reminded of it every day in my own business. Basically, my opinion is that you and I are both temporarily delayed because of NF being successful and popular. My older NXS will still do good service until it goes for the upgrades this Fall.

All of this is just my opinion and I am not speaking for NF. They have some personel that are active on this forum. One may see this d chime in.

No wind,
Terry

Appreciate the rational response Mr. Cross. I'm confident we're not the only ones in this boat.

Completely understand the "growing pains" issues I'm sure they're faced with. Been there myself on a couple different levels. Best of luck to them. Hopefully this will all be a moot point in time.

I work in Customer Service and see this all the time. What you got was GOOD Customer Service, just not the answer you were looking for.

You are no more or less important than the person waiting in front of you, so keep that in mind when calling any Customer Service!

only prob. with selling and getting a new one is:
Nightforce, after this week, is going to B a 18-20 week wait
on orders. So, if what you want is NOT in stock, 18-20 week wait!
I just got a new NXS, I got lucky and found what I wanted. But, all Nightforce deales said the same thing on the wait.

just saying,

LOBO 151