• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes NF SHV F1 4-14 vs. Vortex PST GenII 3-15

Ledzep

Bullet Engineer
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    Hornady
    What do we think? Optic is going on my 6.5 SAUM. I'm downgrading from a March 3-24x52 to pay for a barrel install and some other things. I stay within the 8-15x range 97% of the time I'm shooting anyway, and I've owned a lot of scopes ranging from SWFA fixed 10's to $2500-3200 stuff (Vortex, Leupold, NF, March). I don't shoot as much as I used to and I think I'll be happy in the $1000-1200 range. I like Vortex and NF scopes, but I've been reading some spotty reviews on the PST Gen2 line.

I've had 3 NXS models before but never handled a SHV so I'm not as confident maybe as I could be. I don't care about illumination, and I'd prefer lighter weight, but the difference between the two is like 1.8 ounces so it's not huge. I guess the question for me is whether the SHV F1 is worth $250ish more than the PST Gen2 (obviously that's new, MAP pricing for comparison, I'm not against buying used).

I give a slight nod to the Vortex reticle, but at the end of the day I want parallax and tracking to work, and I've seen issues with both on the Vortex side. I'm not above using "the warranty" but it is frustrating wasting ammo and barrel life tracking down scope problems.

I have a NF 4-14x50F1 on my daughters 6 creed that she carries around ranch shooting coyotes. Its a good scope how she is using it. Glass is good. Capped windage so she never has to worry about windage being off. The scope has always tracked well and returns to zero.

I cant commit on the Vortex you have mentioned but turrents are not in same league as a NXS and neither is power ring adjustment. The SHV has a obvious cheaper feel than the NXS that you have owned. For me, I have to stick to the NXS 3.5-15x50 in this power range or one of the 4-16 ATACR's.

I had a SHV 4-14 F1 that I recently sold. My beefs with it were the reticle and the 5 mil turrets. I replaced it with a Bushy HDMR2 as it has the features I want and is in my price range. That being said, the SHV was solid. It tracked perfectly over upwards of 3000 rounds, always held zero, paralax was good, turrets felt nice (to me). I just wasn't a fan of the Mil-R reticle or the 5 mil turrets for my intended application (mainly prs-type match shooting/practice). I would definitely suggest getting a throw lever for it and the sun shade. I never really considered any of Vortex's offerings as I've seen too many PSTs (albeit Gen 1s) go down and the Razors have a great rep but for that price, I could get something else...

Are they still 5 mil turrets? The pictures I've been seeing online (window shopping) show 10 mils/rev.

Are they still 5 mil turrets? The pictures I've been seeing online (window shopping) show 10 mils/rev.

MOA vs Mils. Look at the intervals between the numbers, those with 10 are split into quarters

No first hand experience with either but I too would go NF but my opinion is only worth as much as it cost you

what scope did you wind up getting? I'm in the same dilemma right now

SHV is better quality over all. But, if you are in competitions, I think you go with the PST II or the Burris XTR II. Both have been shown to be accurate and durable. I have the SHV in F1 and the 56 with exposed turrets. I don't mind the extra revolutions with the turret caps.

I have an Athlon Ares BTR which is similar to the PST II. And, I am liking it, I went with it on my .22 trainer. I tried to run the turrets and abuse them, but they returned to zero every time. I also dialed for elevation, and it was great. I'm impressed for the money. I was skeptical.

PST Gen II is a newish design, so the SHV has a longer and better known track record. Ditto for the Ares BTR. The scope is comparatively new, so there isn't much to go on for now. That having been said, I have been testing two PST Gen 2s and one Ares BTR and they have stayed zeroed and tracked correctly so far.

I prefer the Vortex' EBR-2C reticle over what is available in the SHV and in terms of optical quality I would suspect that the 3-15x44 PST Gen 2 might actually be better than the SHV. As I have said before, it is a serious step up from the original PST. Mechanical quality seems quite good on mine and on a few that I know were bought base don my recommendation. When I recommend a product, I try to stay up to speed on how it fares.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the 4-14x50 SHV F1. It is a very solid product and I like Mil-R reticle overall. If you are not looking for a Christmas Tree style reticle, it is a very good option. Mil-R is a very unobtrusive reticle that still give you a lot of information for ranging and shot correction.

One last comment on Ares BTR: I am extremely impressed with what it offers, but it is not as good optically as the competing (and more expensive) PST Gen 2. Ares is very good for what it costs and given how full featured it is. I have a suspicion that Ares ETR will give the PST Gen 2 a run for its money, but I havn't seen one yet, so the jury is still out.

For the time being, I added both Ares BTR and PST Gen 2 to a list of recommendations I maintain on my website, based on my experience with them. I am keeping track on how they do in the field and if I see something systemically wrong, I will modify my recommendations accordingly. So far, I like what I see though.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=92

ILya

Ilya. have got a chance to look at the tango 6. 4-24x50. I keep coming back to that one in my mind. but looking at pictures the eyebox looks huge. I worry it will clear the 90 degree bolt handle on my CA ridgline

I haven't seen an SHV. I sold 2-NSX'x and bought 1- AMG and 4- PST II's so that tells my preferences.

Ilya. have got a chance to look at the tango 6. 4-24x50. I keep coming back to that one in my mind. but looking at pictures the eyebox looks huge. I worry it will clear the 90 degree bolt handle on my CA ridgline

I have one that I am looking at. It is a nice scope, but I want to check with Sig before I render my final verdict, so to speak.

ILya

SHV over the vortex for sure. Vortex PST/HST have always left me wanting more on the optical quality compared to other scopes in its class. Tracking wise they seem ok except for one that I had but it was fixed.

another comparison.. what do you guys think about the first generation razor vs the tango 6. I can get either one for about the same price

Is the glass in the SHV the same quality as the more expensive NF scopes ?
    How does the glass in the GEN II PST compare to the GEN II RAZOR series ?
    I'm looking for a scope for my 300WM hunting rifle so I want great low light performance , the SHV reticle to me seems adequate but I prefer the EBR 2C reticle as that's what I'm used too !
    That being said of the two which one has the best low light capabilities ?
    Thanks !

Reactions: Oly79
    It is my understanding that the SHV glass is the same as the NSX glass. NSX glass isn’t anything to sneeze at. While it isn’t up to the ATACR quality, it’s also $1100 vs $2400. It certainly isn’t bad.

Reactions: jasont
    "It is my understanding that the SHV glass is the same as the NSX glass." That is correct.

Thread resurrection...
    Just looking at these two scopes at the moment - both in SFP, for use on a lightweight .30-06 hunting (stalking) rifle. What's the consensus now? It seems I can get the SHVs out here in Australia for a little less $$ than the equivalent PSTs.
    I'm probably leaning towards the PST line which I'd then pair up with another build of a heavier .308 with a 5-25x for longer range and target work/f class dabbling.

Nightforce, no question about it.
    This dude got it right. I’ve owned two PSTs and both needed repairs and I ultimately sold them. I have two SHVs and they’re great. The glass is excellent and they just plain work.