• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF vs. Vortex vs. S&B

Vortex and NF get their glass from the same japanese manufacturer to my understanding. SnB glass is Euro. So if they they are coming from the same place what would make the glass that much better?

5 more mm's of tube diameter to transmit light.

No mention of tracking in this thread? If it doesn't track accurately, you've got yourself another step or two at longer ranges.

the 5mm isn't going to make a difference. The tube diameter doesn't determine light transmission.

Different specs and different lens coatings make the difference.

Last edited:
Vortex and NF get their glass from the same japanese manufacturer to my understanding. SnB glass is Euro. So if they they are coming from the same place what would make the glass that much better?

So, by that logic Toyota makes the Prius (retail 30k) but they also make the Lexus LFA (retail 250k) they should have similar performance then? Not even close. Razor glass is HD Flourite treated glass, HD or high density glass generally has fewer impurities and resolves a crisper image. So it's all about the levels and features that are sold to that particular manufacturer. There is some shitty euro glass out there but its more rare. The Schott company in Germany produces some really great glass who they sell to many optics manufacturers across Europe.

So, by that logic Toyota makes the Prius (retail 30k) but they also make the Lexus LFA (retail 250k) they should have similar performance then? Not even close. Razor glass is HD Flourite treated glass, HD or high density glass generally has fewer impurities and resolves a crisper image. So it's all about the levels and features that are sold to that particular manufacturer. There is some shitty euro glass out there but its more rare. The Schott company in Germany produces some really great glass who they sell to many optics manufacturers across Europe.

I am only quoting what I was told at my extremely large gun range/store. I don't know the particulars. All I know is that this store carries all three scopes. I looked through them all and made my decision. One thing that does not really add up for me is that when a scope has FFP it increases the price substantially (1500+). So how is it that Vortex is able to sell their FFP scopes at a significantly lower price? If the vortex glass is fluorite treated, FFP and better then NF you would think their price point would not be with NF but with SnB. Im not trying to start anything, but it is just something I thought about.

I am only quoting what I was told at my extremely large gun range/store. I don't know the particulars. All I know is that this store carries all three scopes. I looked through them all and made my decision. One thing that does not really add up for me is that when a scope has FFP it increases the price substantially (1500+). So how is it that Vortex is able to sell their FFP scopes at a significantly lower price? If the vortex glass is fluorite treated, FFP and better then NF you would think their price point would not be with NF but with SnB. Im not trying to start anything, but it is just something I thought about.

Oh yeah, all valid questions no doubt. The Vortex as far as I know is fabricated in Japan or at least many of the parts, this would keep prices lower then the NF which is fabricated in the US. As well NF has military contracts so there is a reputation. This holds true for the SnB reputation. The Vortex guys are hungry to get into this market so lower price point. It's like a Japanese sports car vs. European sports car thing, equal performance but always more costly to go European.

read this, very good comparison on high end optics.
High End Tactical Scopes: Part III » OpticsThoughts

do you have any idea how huge the markup is on these scopes?

hint.. SWFA sold a 5x20hd new to a friend of mine, that they F'ed up something for 800$.. and u can bet they still made $$ off of that...

I can most definitely say that the S&B has better glass than a NF, without a doubt. How much that is worth to you is a matter of personal preference. But, I've sat on the line looking through one and then the other, and the clear winner was the S&B. NF makes a good product, but they aren't the superior offering of the three you mentioned. However, you're going to pay a pretty penny for the superior offering. What do you get for the price? Superb glass, first focal plane, good reticle choices (I love the H2CMR), nice features (zero stops, second turn indicators, heavy clicks on whole mils, etc), and a scope that has a reputation for being "right" almost all of the time.

With that said, I don't know of too many dissatisfied NF customers, either.

I'm not personally familiar with the Razor, but I've heard good things about it so far. It's a new offering from an up-and-coming company, and I think you may eventually see prices climb on these scopes as Vortex gains more of a brand following within the industry. I seem to recall that the same thing happened with Nightforce back in the day, but I couldn't afford their scopes even at the lower price point back then. If that is the case, it might mean that the Razor is a pretty good deal right now. Regardless, Vortex probably has the best customer service reputation of the three companies you mentioned.

I'm running a S&B on my rifle right now, and I love the scope. It was a gift to me from my very generous girlfriend, and I don't know that I'd have spent the $3,400 on my own when considering that there are a lot of nice options out there for $1,000 less. But, it's a damn nice scope, and I've yet to find a scope that I like better... so, if I were to do it all over again and had to fund it myself (knowing what I know now), I still might have picked up the S&B. If you're willing to drop the coin on such an optic, I don't think the S&B would disappoint!

This thread has been very helpful along with Ilya's great reviews. Many good options to chose from at many different price points. The first 2 premium scopes I initailly purchased were the March F 3-24 42mm & March FX 5-40 56mm (for my 65 yr old eyes and eliminates need for spotting scope) both with FML-1 reticles. For most LR shooters the March F 3-24 should do everything you need and it's the lightest and shortest package of all it's competitors by 1/3. Priced at just $2260 non illuminated, it's a great deal! The eye box can be a little finicky at 24X. In rifle scopes you generally "get what you pay for!"

I just purchased a new DTA SRS A1 here on the Hide from reximus, which came adorned with the new Vortex Razor HD 5-20 50mm with ERB-2B reticle and can't wait to try it, since reviews have been very positive. The 35mm tube somewhat limits your mounting choices. I generally shoot between 500-1000 yds, but all could reach 1500-1 mile easily.

If this is your first scope purchase, I would highly recommend you read the sticky in this section on optics selection several times, since it can be quite confusing when you're first starting out. After a while you'll figure out what will fit your needs and budget the best. Pick the best option you can find that will leave you some cash for ammo, because practice, practice and more practice is the only way you'll get proficient at this sport, making it much more enjoyable and you'll waste less ammo in the long run.

Just one thing to help you selection process. Most agree that getting matching reticles and turrets (mil/mil or MOA/MOA) will make your learning process much easier(mil/mil) for me. Remember lots of knowledgeable people here to help with any questions, since all have been where you are at one time. Bryan Litz has several books and a new DVD series at reasonable prices chocked full of highly valuable information. Many people at the ranges will be more than willing to help you also and most will let you take a few rounds with their rifles. All in all most shooters are a very friendly bunch and want to support the sport as much as possible. Remember "no stupid questions" if you are willing to listen and take advice. Also taking a lesson or two from an experienced shooter early on will prevent bad habits, which can be hard to change later! Good luck and great shooting.