• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors NFA trust

velcroflyer

Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2007
Orlando, Fl
Does anyone have an example of an NFA trust they can email me? I'm gonna be purchasing a suppressor soon and need to get my trust put together. I have a couple examples of revocable living trusts already, I just want to make sure there is nothing that needs to be NFA specific.

Re: NFA trust

I have one that another member sent me, he used it, so it must work, just insert name/dates. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

WASP,,, could you sent that to me as well. My dad wants to do one on a trust. i did the 3 I have on Form 4 but wish i would have done a couple of them on trusts so my little boy would be legit when he gets of age.

Can i PM you my e-mail???

thanks

Please note that requirements for a Trust vary from state to state, and just filling in your name and address may cause you to send an invalid document to the ATF.

I would recommend purchasing the Quicken program and drafting one for your state (it will ask for your state of residence). Once this is complete, you can have it reviewed by a local probate atty to make sure nothing is missed. This option should cost less than having then draft one from scratch (it did in my case).

Addicted: If you need the name of a probate atty in Spartanburg, let me know via PM.

Thanks Lazlo. However, it seems that doing these yourself, or with an attorney not experienced with NFA Gun laws (including probate attorneys) is not the smartest way to go. After doing some research and reading tonight it seems that it would be wise to pay an attorney experienced specifically with creating a NFA trust. According to this attorney's blog: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/south-carolina/
the BATFE is starting to actually look at the content of theses trusts.

There is an attorney in Mauldin that specializes in SC gun laws. I think I will try to call him tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Addicted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...it seems that doing these yourself...is not the smartest way to go.</div></div>This sounds like a re-statement of Graham's Rule #1.
grin.gif

Addicted - I've read several debates on the subject of a NFA Attorney vs Probate vs DIY, and came to the conclusion that the lawyers linked in your post have a financial incentive to sell their services based on fear prosecution by potential clients.

This was my personal conclusion based on several hours of reading, so your opinion may be different.

Graham and Addicted are right on, I had them do mine and 90days one one can and 45 on the next. They are located in Jacksonville, Fla. Do it right the first time!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will maker! it worked 12 times for me! : ) </div></div>

Just so you know WillMaker 2010 will not allow you to set up a trust, something must have changed, I had to get a 2009 version to set it up. I would also suggest that you never update it if it asks you because it will prob change the content so you can't do it again. FWIW

I ended up having an attorney/friend do mine for me. I gave him the template from here and he changed a couple of things to make it work. I'll be sending it out to BATF shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please note that requirements for a Trust vary from state to state, and just filling in your name and address may cause you to send an invalid document to the ATF.

I would recommend purchasing the Quicken program and drafting one for your state (it will ask for your state of residence). Once this is complete, you can have it reviewed by a local probate atty to make sure nothing is missed. </div></div>

+100
REMEMBER, just because the ATF approves your Trust...does NOT make it a legal Trust. They are not responsible to make sure it is legal...you are. If it turns out to be just a pinch unkosher, your SOL if some future rules/laws come along. Do yourself a favor, whatever route you take to do the trust...run it by a lawyer before sending it off.

This one comes up quite often...

REMEMBER, just because the ATF approves your Trust...does NOT make it a legal Trust. They are not responsible to make sure it is legal...

What this guy said....You are responsible !