• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NH90s Replacing UH-1s in New Zealand

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    Right after jump school, I did my cherry blast in a UH-1 back in 1989 but that was pretty much the last time I was ever in uniform around those old Vietnam-era choppers. Flash forward about 22 years, I moved to New Zealand and one day while attending one of the many service rifle matches here I heard the familiar "whop whop" sound of a Huey. I was a bit surprised to see them still in service, this being the 21st century, but right before my eyes they landed in a field nearby and soldiers hopped out. Those Huey's are slowly being phased out now with the NH90...

One of the best cartoons that was going around the Army years ago, was the "last UH-60" going to the bone yard at DM, the tower was talking to the pilot and informed him his ride was at the base of the tower, where or course a UH-1H was running! While they are being replaced as front line AC, the Huey will be running somewhere for a long time-or at least we can hope.

I live by a busy airport, so I pretty much only hear commercial aircraft, but once in a blue moon the "whop-whop" can be appreciated as they approach and navigate around the airport. It's a siren's song to me now, I drop whatever I am up to and begin the search in the sky.
    I love that H-60 story- befitting!
    The "old" ones I flew in are being refitted to UH-1Y, with 4-bladed rotors, new engines, etc, so they sound different, but, hey, it's still a Huey!