• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nice Colt HBAR Elite

chuter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Wisconsin
Don't see much about Colt HBAR's but I picked one up over the weekend. Added the PRS stock, Nikon scope (had it laying around) and the bipod. Reaches longer than my .223 AR carbine and can always go to a .308 for longer reach. Should be a fun varmint rifle. It was made in '96 but never fired. I sent in the warranty reg card yesterday. I have a variety of factory .223 and 5.56 to try to see which it likes.
Colt doesn't say much about the "enhanced" trigger mechanism. It's smooth and hope to make it smoother after a good bit of shooting. Any tips I should be thinking of when I get it to the range? Thanks,
IMG_0456.jpg

Re: Nice Colt HBAR Elite

I have owned 2 of these over the years and colt did them right.. Both were well under MOA rifles and with 69smk's. My last one would shoot scary well with 24.5gr varget sitting under a 69 SMK lit off by a fed gold medal match small magnum pistol primer (don't ask)... ADD kicks in and the last one was traded for an M1A during the whole get an AR craze... Might possibly the best trade I have ever made on a weapon.

The trigger is ok for a AR factory gun but I prefer the JP trigger. Now there are even better triggers out there but the JP still ranks high up there with them.

I bought one recently from a buddy of mine and he had dialed in a 52gr Hornady match BTHP...I have some 68's I am going to try once I burn through what he gave me when I bought it. I love the gun, fun to shoot and it surprisingly accurate.

I'm shocked the 1:9 would stabilize the 77's and was the whole reason I was going to do 68's.

308sako...impressive group at 400!

I have one of these also and it is the most accurate 223 gasser I have. Have not taken it to 400 yards cause we don't have that range around here but 200-300 is good to go. I have shot plenty of great groups at 200 with 75gr amax's that I load up for prairie dogs. With most varget loads, it will keep well under an inch at 100 yards. Only prob with the amaxs is I have to single load them. I have not shot mine in some time but am sure it will still produce. In the beginning, I did not think the gun would stabilize the 75's cause they are long but it does just fine.

Bob L.
Nice looking gun. Who's bipod did you go with?
I ordered a couple hundred 69 gr Black Hills moly's today. I have a variety of 50-55 gr in house. Tough finding match factory ammo in our area. Looking forward to ringing her out. Good friend does triggers for lots of milsurp stuff, Rem 700 and high end sniper bolt action rifles. As soon as he can he'll be working on an AR trigger (maybe within a year). That should be fun too.