• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nice DMR-type scope for my SCAR 17?

vanquishings

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
Ohio, USA
Hey there,

Joined up just to ask this.

I'm looking to put a nice DMR scope on my SCAR 17. Typically, I'll be shooting this out to about 600 at steel targets of various sizes, but I'd like to be able to shoot groups on paper as well, should the mood strike me.

I have a Bushnell DMR II-i 3.5-21 on it now, and it's really not doing it for me. I absolutely LOVE the magnification range, and size of it. But the glass quality is leaving a little to be desired. So I'm looking for something at that magnification range-ish, but more importantly, that size.

I really had my heart set on the Leupold Mk6, and then I read a review. And another, and another. Not many nice things to say about that scope are out there. Which is a bummer.

My only specifics are I'd like it to be <13 inches, hopefully sub 30 oz, the lower under $2500 the better, and FFP. I can run with either mil or moa.

The Mk5 has me interested, but 35mm is a bummer. The Eotech Vudu 5-25 also has me peeking over. Is there any scope I'm overlooking? I'm a NF guy, so I'm really struggling not to just throw what I throw on everything nowadays and calling it good, which is the 2.5-10x24 NXS.

Help me, SH! You're my only hope.

Thanks!

I'm interested in this also and have been eyeballing a couple different options . So far I have been looking at these scopes but not sure if they meet your criteria.
Elcan Specter Dr 1.5-6
Trijicon Vcog with the 175gr reticle
Trijicon 1-8x28 or similar offering

S&B 5-20 ultra short. That's what I did for my 17 with an offset red dot. The ZCO420 scope looks great or the kahles 3-18.

A used Minox Zp8 can be had for under $2500.

I've seen some 1.1-8x Mk8's for around that price also.

Then there's the new NX8.

USO B10

NF 4-16 F1. 12.6", 30 oz, mil/mil configurations, $2,425 but if you call around you can find better prices. I have one on my SPR and love it, probably my favorite NF in my collection.

I ran through the "Whats the best scope for scar 17" for about a year!!!! It was pain staking. I am not the only one. There are many on other forums who struggle with the same dilemma. The 17 really is a battle rifle! Light like an ar15 for cqb, but accurate enough to be a designated marksman rifle out to 800. I have found as have others that when you try to have one tool do many things it usually sucks at most of them. When you have one tool do one thing it usually does that well. Only you can decide what you are going to use it as. I had an eotech on mine at first but wanted more to use the heavy cartridge. But I also wanted to keep weight down and still be able to clear a room and keep it light and handy. Well That did not work out. Next I put a SWFA 1-6 and it didn't make 200 rnds before knocking the turret completely off the tube. Did not really like the 1-6 because at 6 was not enough for the long work. I then tried a trijicon acog 4x and liked the weight and speed but not the 4 power. I settled on the Nightforce 2.5-10x32. It is a bit heavier but I love it!!! I can bang steel out to 800yds no problem and the weight and balance are still great. To combat the cqb I put a trijicon rmr offset and love that as well. It is fast, reliable and light. I love the set up. But that was before Nightforce came out with the 1-8 atacr. I think that would be the best of both worlds and still shed some weight and hold up to the recoil impulse. Good luck.

If your cool with the size I'd say a S&B ultra short would fit the bill nicely. I also like the looks of the new NF 1x8s except the mil numbers being right next to the vertical stadia in the ATACR. I think your NXS is a cool scope for that type of setup but I can see being on the range wanting more magnification if shooting mostly stationary.

Hey there,

I'm looking to put a nice DMR scope on my SCAR 17. Typically, I'll be shooting this out to about 600 at steel targets of various sizes, but I'd like to be able to shoot groups on paper as well, should the mood strike me.

I have a Bushnell DMR II-i 3.5-21 on it now, and it's really not doing it for me. I absolutely LOVE the magnification range, and size of it. But the glass quality is leaving a little to be desired. So I'm looking for something at that magnification range-ish, but more importantly, that size.

I really had my heart set on the Leupold Mk6, and then I read a review. And another, and another. Not many nice things to say about that scope are out there. Which is a bummer.

My only specifics are I'd like it to be <13 inches, hopefully sub 30 oz, the lower under $2500 the better, and FFP. I can run with either mil or moa.

The Mk5 has me interested, but 35mm is a bummer. The Eotech Vudu 5-25 also has me peeking over. Is there any scope I'm overlooking? I'm a NF guy, so I'm really struggling not to just throw what I throw on everything nowadays and calling it good, which is the 2.5-10x24 NXS.

Thanks!

I liked the Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS much more than the NXS 2.5-10x24, except the Illume was cool on the Nightforce. 2x more on top makes a surprising difference for long range. What I disliked most about the NXS was there were no revolution indicator lines under the turret and SFP.

The 1-?'s didn't work out for me for long range so I'm kind of in the same spot as you are. I think I'll get another Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 which was the best so far in most ways, especially price.

I'm interested in this also and have been eyeballing a couple different options . So far I have been looking at these scopes but not sure if they meet your criteria.
Elcan Specter Dr 1.5-6
Trijicon Vcog with the 175gr reticle
Trijicon 1-8x28 or similar offering

Elcan seems to be what goes on most of em, and it's definitely hard to argue with it. I think any of those would probably be superb options, but I've heard of the Trijis actually having issues with the 17s recoil impulse. And I'm looking for a bit more magnification to throw on this. If I was using the SCAR how it was designed to be used, I'd probably opt for the Elcan, no question. :p

I’m eyeing the new mk5 3.6-18x

https://www.milehighshooting.com/leupold-173296-mark-5-3-6-18x44mm-35mm-m5c3-matte-front-focal-tmr/

MHSA has the scopes and Spuhr mounts to match.

I'm very interested in that as well. The 35mm tube bums me out, but if they can fix what was busted on the mk6, they may have a winner. Don't like paying that much extra for illumination, though. :/

S&B 5-20 ultra short. That's what I did for my 17 with an offset red dot. The ZCO420 scope looks great or the kahles 3-18.

That 5-20 ultra short is so sexy. But that S&B price tag, though.... I know I shouldn't whine after what I paid on the 17, but damn. Do you have a picture of that set up? I'd love to see it. I was running an offset RMR with this bushnell, too.

A used Minox Zp8 can be had for under $2500.

I've seen some 1.1-8x Mk8's for around that price also.

Then there's the new NX8.

USO B10

All of those are great options, I'm sure. Just looking for something with a little more magnification without being a boat anchor.

NF 4-16 F1. 12.6", 30 oz, mil/mil configurations, $2,425 but if you call around you can find better prices. I have one on my SPR and love it, probably my favorite NF in my collection.

Don't tempt me. Trying to vary my glass collection a little bit, but damn if that isn't tempting.... I wish they'd make a 3-18. I have a feeling as soon as I commit to the 4-16 or 3.5-15 NF, they'll drop a 3-21 or something stupid.

I ran through the "Whats the best scope for scar 17" for about a year!!!! It was pain staking. I am not the only one. There are many on other forums who struggle with the same dilemma. The 17 really is a battle rifle! Light like an ar15 for cqb, but accurate enough to be a designated marksman rifle out to 800. I have found as have others that when you try to have one tool do many things it usually sucks at most of them. When you have one tool do one thing it usually does that well. Only you can decide what you are going to use it as. I had an eotech on mine at first but wanted more to use the heavy cartridge. But I also wanted to keep weight down and still be able to clear a room and keep it light and handy. Well That did not work out. Next I put a SWFA 1-6 and it didn't make 200 rnds before knocking the turret completely off the tube. Did not really like the 1-6 because at 6 was not enough for the long work. I then tried a trijicon acog 4x and liked the weight and speed but not the 4 power. I settled on the Nightforce 2.5-10x32. It is a bit heavier but I love it!!! I can bang steel out to 800yds no problem and the weight and balance are still great. To combat the cqb I put a trijicon rmr offset and love that as well. It is fast, reliable and light. I love the set up. But that was before Nightforce came out with the 1-8 atacr. I think that would be the best of both worlds and still shed some weight and hold up to the recoil impulse. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be running an offset RMR, regardless. I'm such a huge fan of the 2.5-10 NFs. Hard to beat those. And it's nice to hear you're making hits out to 800 with it. Damn impressive!

If your cool with the size I'd say a S&B ultra short would fit the bill nicely. I also like the looks of the new NF 1x8s except the mil numbers being right next to the vertical stadia in the ATACR. I think your NXS is a cool scope for that type of setup but I can see being on the range wanting more magnification if shooting mostly stationary.

I'll have to look more into the S&B and their reviews. It is a lot spendier than I expected that range scope to be, but I guess you're paying for the size, too. I think I'll want more mag than the 2.5-10 just so I can make hits on the poppers a little easier. :p

I liked the Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS much more than the NXS 2.5-10x24, except the Illume was cool on the Nightforce. 2x more on top makes a surprising difference for long range. What I disliked most about the NXS was there were no revolution indicator lines under the turret and SFP.

The 1-?'s didn't work out for me for long range so I'm kind of in the same spot as you are. I think I'll get another Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 which was the best so far in most ways, especially price.

The 2.5-10x24 is definitely a love it or hate it optic. I threw one on a Mk12 clone I built and fell in love. It has an exceptionally touchy eyebox, and the the dislikes you had aren't great, but I work around them. I don't mind a SFP under 10x, and for whatever reason, I'm just as fast at 2.5 than I am with the lower power variable optics. Add in the size and weight, and it's easily my favorite all around optic.

Someone needs to fill in the gap between the 1-8s and 5-25s, huh? Damn, didn't expect this many people to chime in regarding having a similar experience....

"Someone needs to fill in the gap between the 1-8s and 5-25s, huh?"

Know what's almost smack dab between 8X and 25X.....16...as in NF 4-16 ATACR F1. For a long time I ran a NF 2.5-10X24 on my DMR rifle shooting out to 600 yards but last year I decided to up the magnification so I moved a 3.5-15 from another rifle to my newly rebuilt DMR. So glad I did, the extra magnification was great when pushing out to 870 with a .223 and the FFP configuration allowed me to run the optic on any magnification if I wanted to suit the range and target size. Back in the fall I was able to upgrade to a 4-16 F1 and man oh man do I love this optic, glass wise it's fantastic even in low light, well worth the price.

I've looked through the Leupold Mk6 3-18 and sent some rounds down range with it but to be honest it didn't impress me all that much. I've also used the Bushnell LRHS 3-13 on my DMR and it was pretty cool, great reticle, great turrets, really good glass and the 30mm main tube made mounting options pretty easy. The 4.5-18 version could be a good alternative even though it's a little on the lengthy side of what you're looking for. There's also the Sig Tango6 3-18, it's short, mil/mil, right around $2,000 I think, but I haven't seen much written up on it.

My AR DMR had a 2.5-10x42 NXS. Now it has the ATACR 4-16x42 F1. I had a 2.5-10x42 NXS on my SCAR 17 and liked that the most out of the optics I had on it up to that point, but in the end (before I sold it) I thought I had ruined a nice lightweight carbine.

Yup here you go. I took the red dot off to use on my SRS for this weekend, but I use it at a 45 degree offset.

C09EFE24-96DB-4FE4-837B-9E67206282AF.jpeg
6C840A5B-E6D0-400B-90CB-86358CAFBA71.jpeg

Reactions: Del's
Hey there,

Thanks!

I use a Millett 1x6x24 that had worked well for me. Handles the funky recoil pulse with no probs, it's clear, and very reasonably priced. The downside for me is that it is a bit heavy. But I'm not patrolling Mosul, so not a big issue.

The March 3-24x52 with Tree reticle is nice and light and image quality is amazing.

About the same size is the Bushnell 4-18 LRTS. I ran a 3-12 on my 17 for a while but went back to a Red dot and 3x magnifier.

The new NF NX8 and ATACR 8 would be my choice.

The Scar17 is a fantastic rifle, but taking away 1x really hampers its versatility. A 1-6 or 1-8 or the NF2.5-10x24 are really the optimal optics for it IMO. Keep the gun light, nimble and agile. If you are going to weigh it down with a bunch of shit, might as well just build or buy a AR10 and take advantage of match barrels.

Older USO MR-10 1.8-10 with a gap or horus or a jng mil
and a set of KAC 45* 600m offset sights or the 300m

Or a USO sr8c true1x-8 mil or horus reticle
with KAC 45* 600m or 300m

Plus you’ll have plenty of loot left over to spend on MORE GUN STUFF!!!!???

Last edited:
Older USO MR-10 1.8-10 with a gap or horus or a jng mil
and a set of KAC 45* 600m offset sights or the 300m
Or a USO sr8c true1x-8 mil or horus reticle
with KAC 45* 600m or 300m
Plus you’ll have plenty of loot left over to spend on MORE GUN STUFF!!!!???