• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Nice Oregon Buck

garrettjusmc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2011
Marines, VA
I got this buck on opening day this year. Just wanted to share it!
175 5/8 inches were scored
e635e154.jpg

Re: Nice Oregon Buck

I'm a little jealous at these pictures. I usually am on my own and packing them out!

That's a great get right there. We didn't see much this year, but I did see a big bull elk last week on the road with his harem.

I got him in the Hepner unit. I was on private ranch land on Ritter Rd. Ritter Rd is on the North Fork of the John Day River. I was also Elk hunting on that trip with no elk success. I just got back from that area a second time a couple of weeks ago, and I swear I saw the buck in the picture above brother. I saw another monster 4 pt with almost the same exact pattern and tall just like him. The buck I saw was 25 yards from me. He was gorgeous. He just looked at me, as if he knew I couldn't shoot him. The funny thing was, is that he wasn't a 1/4 mile from where I killed his twin.... It was pretty surreal

Hey Garrett,
I hunt in your neck of the woods - if you are at Ritter Junction and head east about 12 miles I hunt up in the hills there above the private down on the river. There are still a few bruiser bucks on that country but its been infested with cougars over the years - any chance you where on John Coles place?? He has a lot of land up in that country - good guy!!

No, i do not know him, but I was hunting the 3 mile ranch, and some of their neighbor's ranches. Beautiful country out there. I actually found a cougar kill last time I was out there. Dead cow pulled into a den. Pretty cool.

my location is exactly 20 miles down Ritter Rd. great location. Two weeks ago I was there trying to fill my cow tag and in four days of hunting I counted over 40 bucks and well over 300 does. Even though I was unsuccessful on the elk hunt the hunt was still a blast. I also saw hundreds of turkeys..

I live out on the east side of the state down in Burns. Y'all are hunting several hours north of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrettjusmc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, i do not know him, but I was hunting the 3 mile ranch, and some of their neighbor's ranches. Beautiful country out there. I actually found a cougar kill last time I was out there. Dead cow pulled into a den. Pretty cool. </div></div>
Got it - I know that area also - really some nice country - great mule deer genetics there - which you can see in your buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrettjusmc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got him in the Hepner unit. I was on private ranch land on Ritter Rd. Ritter Rd is on the North Fork of the John Day River. I was also Elk hunting on that trip with no elk success. I just got back from that area a second time a couple of weeks ago, and I swear I saw the buck in the picture above brother. I saw another monster 4 pt with almost the same exact pattern and tall just like him. The buck I saw was 25 yards from me. He was gorgeous. He just looked at me, as if he knew I couldn't shoot him. The funny thing was, is that he wasn't a 1/4 mile from where I killed his twin.... It was pretty surreal </div></div>

I had that happen to me with a Whitetail in north Texas. One year later, I saw the twin to a buck I had shot the prior year. It was like a ghost.... until I shot it. Congratulations on your buck!

My folks own the OK Garage in Long Creek. The rest of my family lives around there too. Ritter Rd is my favorite place for rattle snake hunting in the summer. Have been seeing a bunch of cougars up by Galena too, if you get a chance kill one of them SOBs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrettjusmc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my location is exactly 20 miles down Ritter Rd. great location. Two weeks ago I was there trying to fill my cow tag and in four days of hunting I counted over 40 bucks and well over 300 does. Even though I was unsuccessful on the elk hunt the hunt was still a blast. I also saw hundreds of turkeys..</div></div>

I like that Long Creek country. That's a great drive all the way up to Ukiah. I wish I had a reason to spend more time up there.

RJ I have driven by that place several times. Funny what a small world it is...

Outwest--- I could spend the rest of my days there if I didn't have a wife and baby, and all our family on the west side...

We use the west side of the state as our escape route to warm weather when we want to get out of the cold for a while. The west side is great, but I don't like all the rain. If you ever find yourself over here, just let me know. There are unlimited places to shoot out here. The predator hunting is pretty good also.

Awesome buck and thank you for your service. Maybe his twin will show up next year and be even bigger.

Damn nice buck, we hunt really close to you. I have a few friends that live in Heppner.
We have done really good in that area. Only thing about bucks like that is they get really expensive by the time you get through mounting them. Congrats !!