• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 1-8

Given my criteria, should I get the NX8 1-8 or the ATACR 1-8?

• NX8

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • ATACR

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

Hotshot10

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Hi all,

I have spent entirely too much time in the LPVO rabbit hole. After a long time thinking about it, I've settled on a Nightforce 1-8. I need some help deciding between NX8 and the ATACR given my criteria. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to look through the two to compare them before purchase, so I am looking to the experts here for some guidance.
  • What is the platform for the scope?
    Daniel Defense DDM4V5 with 16" barrel.

• What cartridge are you shooting?
    5.56 NATO

• What is your intended use for the scope?
    General purpose rifle with an emphasis on relatively close-range shooting. I plan to use it mainly as a red dot with the ability to shoot further.

• What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
    Mostly daylight and evening.

• What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
    I estimate the following:
    75 percent under 100 meters.
    25 percent between 100 and 400-ish meters.

• Are there any specific specifications you would like?
    Durability is a concern with me, although I don't think there's a difference there between the two. Primarily, I want to be able to use it like a red dot up close, so eyebox is important to me as is general image quality and clarity. I'm not as concerned about shooting on 8x. I will say that I think I would like the DMx reticle better than the FC-MIL if I am at 8x., but that's not going to be for the majority of my shooting.

• What is the price range you can afford?
    I've been saving for long time. I can afford either. However, I am also wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze on the ATACR. I can certainly use the extra money from buying the NX8 on ammunition and components, and that has more of an impact on how well I shoot than my scope.
If anyone has used both of them, especially shooting competitions or shooting drills or shooting from odd positions, I'd love your feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:
There are better choices for your usage. Especially if you aren't crazy about 8x.

The ATACR is a very nice optic, but I've never been convinced that an LPVO was good value in that price point. I think the NX8 offers very little over less expensive optics other than size and weight. If you're not after a very compact optic in 8x, then I wpuld scratch it off and save some money. A Razor 1-6 would be pretty high on my list based on what you want in an optic.

Birddog makes some good points.

My two LPVOs are an older 1-4X Razor, which gets a little tough to hit small targets at more than 400 yards, but I have hit silhouettes at 600ish with it. That scope has had a rough life but is holding up well. I don't feel like the 1-6 Razor is as tough because I have seen a couple go down.

The other is a Bushnell 1-8.5 SMRS that I think is a better all-around optic than the 1-6 Razor, although I like the reticle on the Razor a little better. I've shot silhouettes at 1K with it on my 16" SR-15. They were a great value when Cameraland had their big sale.

I really like Nightforce but am not totally sold on their LPVO value for the money spent.

Reactions: Birddog6424
It'll be hard to pass up the ATACR 1-8x once you get time on it. I've got many thousands of rounds fired through each in competition and training, so I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

If you're going to punch holes at CQB distances all the time there are a lot of options out there and you might not always see a difference if you don't know what to look for. Between NX8/ATACR, the ATACR is a little more forgiving of the two. However, make a note to take the time to select an appropriate height, zero cant mount for a better heads up stance, and then taking the time to mount it for best performance makes all the difference in the world with any LPVO.

Beyond 50 yards, the ATACR is pretty awesome for field shooting, particularly if you've got to find stuff or work with some speed for multiple targets that aren't easy to see. You're paying for the glass and it delivers.

I'd go with the NX8 if you need the smaller size/weight, or if the budget isn't there.

As a bonus both do well with clip-on NV or thermals too.

Reactions: Jsp556 and LRRPF52
Take a look at the Trijicon credo 1-6 hx with the led dot. Japanese made, light weight, good glass, and a daylight bright dot. Should be able to find for around 800$. 6x with good glass is plenty for ringing a gong at 4-500 yards.

If you place significant value on light weight, a small footprint, and bright illumination, the nx8 is hard to beat. I run one on an SR15 and it feels physically more like an Aimpoint to me than a full size scope. Eye box is a little tight, but not overly bothersome if you set eye relief correctly and use a 1.7 or 1.93 mount. Have used it from point blank to 500 yards with great success. That being said, I would like to get some time behind the ATACR - I don't doubt that it's superior optically, but not sure it's worth the ~ $1,000 price difference and weight/size penalty.

I really like the compactness of the NX8 and can’t justify putting bigger/heavier optics on primarily CQB 5.56 blasters.

There’s a lot of good advice in this thread from others who own or have used both options you’re considering.

Between those 2, I would only put the ATACR on something that is dedicated to more intermediate range work, and I would lean towards the Vortex Razor 1-10x Gen III in that case anyway.

I wish I would have jumped on the deal when you could get NX8s for $1250.

Reactions: plong
If you're going to be shooting the good stuff like 77gr SMK Mk262 and the like, by all means get the ATACR if you can afford to, because you actually might be able to put it to good use on smaller targets at 400ish and it'd be fun to take further out (maybe even check out the 10x Razor). IMO it's the most "elegant" or "grown up" of the LPVO's out there in that it's MRAD/Mil and doesn't have some wonky BDC and has real ref marks for holding windage at distance... but damn right you're going to pay up for all that Gucci-ness.

I've used and dig the NX8's and almost bought one, but I simultaneously think the exposed elevation turret and ability to dial is both kind of cool and sort of dumb at the same time (especially since the reticle has redundant hashes for elevation too). Compact and slick though (depending on how high speed you like your gun to feel).

But, if it's like you said, and it's going to be CQB - 400yrds and using 55/62gr stuff (like most of us do, most of the time when playing with AR's), I wouldn't even worry about an 8x LPVO. I'd check out the good ol' 1-6 Razor like mentioned above, or, I've been running the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 since it came out like 5 years ago and the only thing different now is they're more expensive. Both were good when they were new and are still good now.

The important thing is that you get one where the glass is really 1x and the dot is really daylight-bright, look at the other stuff once those boxes are checked first.

I struggle with the same issue. I am looking at a 1-8 Atacr or a 1-5 Steiner (I haven't tried Steiner glass and would like to try it).

I moved my NX8 1-8 off my go to rifle and went with a Sig Romeo8H and Sig Juliet4. I prefer the red dot over NX8 scope and if I need some magnification, I can just flip the magnifier. I found with my LPVO, I was always at one extreme to the other. Never at 4x or 5x etc. My NX8 now sits on my AR10.
There is also the Trijicon Credo 1-8. It has some heft, and is a 34mm tube. I bought one for my bolt action pistol I have coming.
I love the reticle, but have not mounted it yet, still waiting for it to ship.

The Eotech. Vudu 1-8x with red dot is perfect for what you want. It would be a better choice. And has fantastic glass

I happen to have a vudu. 1-8 with an armasight(flir). NV MR clip on that I'm selling but haven't put up for sale yet. It's perfect for what you want, even if you buy a new one, seriously I'd check it out. It's really good!

Reactions: stefan73
I’ve shot the nx8 to 1000 yards. My eyes are shit and i didn’t have any issues spotting splash or impacts, though the clarity suffers over 6x. Here’s a write up of that.

The optic’s compact nature really is nice on a carbine.

Based on your options I would go nx8 because it’s on a small frame ar just to get heft and size down

on your inside 100 shooting what type of shooting is it? Lpvo are not as forgiving at red dots with Some positional shooting. (One plane if options on a red dot vs multiple on scope). just something to think about. I put a swfa on my ar but use it for hunting hogs and been happy with it. both those scopes are better so they should do well. The other option IMO is the gen 3 razor

good luck

A big determining factor in optics selection is the region of the Nation you live in.

If I still lived East of the Mississippi, I often wonder how many LPVOs I would have, and what types. Razor 1-6x covers pretty much most of the terrain out there for a 5.56 carbine, even 16”. Most quality 1-4x24 LPVOs work well out there. You also might consider the SIG Tango6 1-6x24 with DWLR6 Reticle.

Out here in the West, it’s a totally different type of terrain, especially Mountain West and high deserts. Feels like you need more rifle, which is probably why I got into 6.5 Grendel as much as I did.

It’s kind of hard to have too much magnification out here sometimes, but on a 16” 5.56, you’re not going to do much unless you’re at higher elevation, which is often the case for many of us in UT, CO, AZ, NV, ID, WY, MT, with a few places in NM, CA, and AZ.

My answer might be invalid for your purposes based on regional influence in the way I select optics for this terrain.

Any reason the gen 3 razor isn’t in the running? I haven’t compared it side by side with the ATACR but the eyebox is very forgiving and the mil reticle is very similar to the atacr. Ran it recently in a 2 gun match out to 500 yards and I’ve shot it out to 800 for fun. The glass may be a little better on the atacr 1-8 based on the 7-35s I’ve looked through but other than that they seem to be pretty much equal but with a much lower price point for the razor.

Honestly, my eotech 1-8x is already sold so this isn't a plug, but you really should look hard at that unit! With the red dot (which is a really tight center dot, but only if you want it on) and the glass it has, with nice BDC reticle, that thing is absolutely perfect for what the OP wants. The guys that know that scope all know what I'm talking about. It's seriously great, and I'm a NF and vortex guy.

I like the NX-8 and have two of them.

Plenty of options, most of which have been mentioned. Razor IIs / IIIs would be the only option I see as viable, aside from the NFs. Trijicon is ok, Eotech Vudu... meh. They are still getting their shit together in the optics world IMO.

But it's a free country, do whatever you like!

I've had most of the mid-top tier LPVO's on the market and/or have had time behind them. Two years ago I snagged a Gen2 razor 1-6 and was super impressed by it's performance. I sold it because it's chonk really threw off the balance of my 16" LMT it sat on. Since that sale I've owned the Gen3, ATACR, XTR2 1-5, C599 NX8, Credo 1-6, Kahles, Elcan 1/4, p4xi, and as of last week a gen2E. These all rode/ride 5.56 gas guns mainly shot within 300yds.

In your situation for your intended purposes I would recommend the Gen2E. I'll lay out a quick comparison of the things that matter to me in a LPVO. This is a direct comparison between the C599 NX8 (the uncapped NX8's shouldn't even be a thing. An absolutely retarded concept given the way it was executed)

Gen2 E Pro's:
-The brightest illumination I've ever witnessed in a LPVO. Virtually a tie with the NX8.
-A very forgiving eyebox that allows for effective fire even if your eye is not perfectly aligned with the optic
-A sight picture in which the ocular virtually disappears on 1x. This fascinates me.
-A locking illumination control knob
-A very useable 1x reticle without illumination
-Cheaper
-Arguably the "flattest" 1x sight picture on the market

Gen2 E Cons:
-Doesn't come with a throw lever
-4oz heavier than the NX8
-Non-locking diopter
-No wind holds on reticle
-Doesn't come with caps

C599 NX8 Pros:
-Excellent (tiny) footprint
-Nearly the brightest illumination I've ever witnessed in a LPVO. Virtually a tie with the G2E.
-Locking Diopter
-Comes w/ perfectly executed throw lever. I'm a huge fan of "screw in" throw levers as they are not prone to "Slippage"
-4oz lighter than the vortex
-Comes with sticker on scope that attracts virgin men

C599 NX8 Cons:
-Very tight eyebox. I don't want to hear the "if you have the right mount and the right eye relief and and and and............" The eyebox on the NX8 is poor for a LPVO that's the end of the story. This optic is not ideal for shooting from dynamic positions and it WILL take you more training and rounds downrange to get "red dot fast" with this optic compared to something like a P4xi, Gen2E, or K16i.
-Poorly executed center dot. There's absolutely no reason to have the center dot as large as it is. Even on the C599 capped model. (the level of autism achieved when NF combined this center dot with those exposed turrets is totally unmatched)
-Non-locking illumination adjustment
-Doesn't come with decent caps
-No wind holds on reticle
-Non-illuminated reticle on 1x although useable is not great

Other things that people like to argue about:
1. Toughness. This is very hard to measure. Of course you've heard of more G2E's failing than NX8's. That's because it's the most popular LPVO in the nation and there's probably 10x more G2E's in the wild than NX8's.
2. Warranty. Vortex has the best one out there. No comparison. But nightforce will take care of you. I've had to send two NF's back to Orofino. They aren't perfect.
3. Which company will stand the test of time? At this rate I'd say both
4. Is a NF 2.5-10x32 with an offset RDS the best of both worlds @ 21oz? Maybe!

I picked up my last C599 used for $1500. I picked up last week's G2E used for $900.

Reactions: Birddog6424