• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I am really looking long and hard at these scopes. I believe this is a fairly new product, but if someone has one, let me know what you think about it.

Re: Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32

I don't have one but the place I work for sells them. I am not here to solicit business.

I have a customer that was looking for a .308 rifle and scope. This man passes at least 4 other gun shops to see me.

He bought a Nightforce 2.5-10X32 Mildot and a Remington 5-R based on my recommendation. Fred is not a wealthy man and called me at least once a week for a month and a half to thank me for showing him and selling him the rifle and scope. He raves about both.

If it suits your needs, I'd say go for it and I'm sure Fred would too. I know this is a corny reply but I don't think you can really go wrong with a Nightforce.

I met Kyle Brown with NF once and he took that model NXS and bounced it off the floor and then handed it to me. I don't suggest that. But it was fine afterwards as you would expect. I really want one for my H-Bar and will get one next year for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowlight did a review on one recently </div></div>

That is like taking Lazy21's word for something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowlight did a review on one recently </div></div>

That is like taking Lazy21's word for something. </div></div>

LOL, I will stay out of that fight
grin.gif

So let this review be your guide...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kickin'-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I met Kyle Brown with NF once and he took that model NXS and bounced it off the floor and then handed it to me. I don't suggest that. But it was fine afterwards as you would expect. I really want one for my H-Bar and will get one next year for it. </div></div>

Nash,
I've got a 2.5-10x32 on a 20" AR in a LaRue SPR 1.5. Went with the NP-R2 reticle w/ zero stop turrets.

I use this rig for varmints & plinkin' steel. The fixed parallax really has not been a burden shooting steel out to 600yds.
I do find the NP-R2 to be a little on the fine side as a hunting reticle and prefer the simplistic NP-1 with heavier outer posts for that application. I like to hunt coyotes and the NP-1 is super for getting centered on a constantly moving yote...

The windage marks on the NP-R2 are spaced 5 MOA, same distance as the NP-1's heavier duplex from center, so there is not added precision afforded for wind holds. ON longer pokes, I find it better to dial for both elevation & wind and hold center mass. The NP-R1's 2 MOA wind marks on my bigger NXS' scopes make holding for wind and dialing for drop the way to go...

I found the zero stops on the 32 to be a GREAT feature. Their larger profile is much preferred to the smaller, under-the-cap turrets of my 24mm Compacts. That alone is reason for going the zero-stop route...

Aesthetically, the 32mm offers a more 'balanced look', if that matters to you at all. I honestly can't say the the 32mm is noticably brighter than my 24mms though...

As funds allow, I'm slowly making the NXS Compacts my scope of choice on all of my hunting sticks...

For reference, top to bottom...
NXS 2.5-10x24
NXS 2.5-10x32
SN3 1.8-10x37
Picture046.jpg

Apples to oranges in comparing FFP to SFP scopes but will point out what is obvious to me...

The NXS is almost a half lb. lighter, yet probably just as 'rugged', for all intensive purposes.

The USO EREK knob is super and glass is marginally 'better' to my eyes.

Not wading into the FFP/SFP debate. That decision is your own, based on your shooting needs...

I have one at home in the box. Have not even touched it yet. I ordered it direct from NF. Took almost 3 months for it to arrive. If you decide to buy one, prepare for a wait.

i have a new in the box 2.5x10x32 with npr2 reticle but no zero stops if you want it!

knockemdown,

You made hit on a point with the "balanced" comment. I have an HTG with a varmint contour barreled action. I really do not want a scope mounted on it that overpowers the rest of an otherwise well-balanced rig.

My brother has a USO and it is a serious piece of engineering, but for my rifles and tastes, it is just too big. I saw the model without an objective bell and liked it, but Banshee mentioned this model and I am taken by it.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nash,
I've got a 2.5-10x32 on a 20" AR in a LaRue SPR 1.5. Went with the NP-R2 reticle w/ zero stop turrets.

I use this rig for varmints & plinkin' steel. The fixed parallax really has not been a burden shooting steel out to 600yds.
I do find the NP-R2 to be a little on the fine side as a hunting reticle and prefer the simplistic NP-1 with heavier outer posts for that application. I like to hunt coyotes and the NP-1 is super for getting centered on a constantly moving yote...

The windage marks on the NP-R2 are spaced 5 MOA, same distance as the NP-1's heavier duplex from center, so there is not added precision afforded for wind holds. ON longer pokes, I find it better to dial for both elevation & wind and hold center mass. The NP-R1's 2 MOA wind marks on my bigger NXS' scopes make holding for wind and dialing for drop the way to go...

I found the zero stops on the 32 to be a GREAT feature. Their larger profile is much preferred to the smaller, under-the-cap turrets of my 24mm Compacts. That alone is reason for going the zero-stop route...

Aesthetically, the 32mm offers a more 'balanced look', if that matters to you at all. I honestly can't say the the 32mm is noticably brighter than my 24mms though...

As funds allow, I'm slowly making the NXS Compacts my scope of choice on all of my hunting sticks...

For reference, top to bottom...
NXS 2.5-10x24
NXS 2.5-10x32
SN3 1.8-10x37
Picture046.jpg

</div></div>

What kind of mount is that USO in? I'm assuming it is one of their mounts. It looks noticeably lower than the SPR and it appears that it may be able to be moved farther forward than you have it presently.

I took that pic while moving some scopes/mounts around on my uppers. In that pic, the SN3 is in a USO Posa Slide mount I took off my SN4s. I just slid in on the rail to snap a comparison photo. I tried to like the USO mount, but at 1.2", I found it just a hair too low for my face...

I got rid of the USO mount soon after and put the SN3 in another LaRue SPR 1.5 on that same upper. The extra .3" made all the difference for my sight picture. Here's a pic mounted as such after making a 530yd head shot on this coyote...
Globe2009009.jpg