• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

Looks good Scott... love this scope and didn't think I would. When it arrived I was doing the Ren & Stimpy Eyes, then after using it, I was hooked. Funny thing, I set up Kiana's Pink Ashbury with a 3-12x S&B and she immediately didn't want to use that scope. As luck had it, we were standing right next to NF Bill at the CT Swat Challenge when she opened the Ashbury for the first time. I asked her what scope she wanted instead of the S&B and she immediately picked the NF 2.5-10x 42.

@Biggy your Mils vs MOA is missing the mark and in this case Vern is wrong. Speed is not the factor at all... It's about consistency, as there is no true MOA standard across manufacturers. Many advertise MOA adjustments and delivery SMOA or IPHY, which at 1000 yards is a miss. Also there is no standard in reticles. If you have your NF with MOA and you go to communicate with a guy using a Leupold you are speaking two different languages. At the same SWAT Challenge an Attendee came up to me about this very topic and reported the following. He called several manufacturers on the subject and most had not idea which one they were using. In most cases someone in the technical department had to be asked to verify and most were using SMOA Turrets with TMOA reticles. There is no .1 mil to .1 mil relationship with MOA. You have 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2 or 1 MOA turrets and a variety of subtensions with their reticles. In fact no two companies use the same division for their reticle. There is no "1 mil" mark like with all Mil based scopes. MOA based reticles have a mix of sub tensions. 2 MOA, 5 MOA, 7 MOA which some people mistake as 2, 4 6... etc. The math given is generally wrong even with TMOA reticles. They all say * 100 instead of *95.5 so the errors are built in, which then compound.

Absolutely if you know your set up, you can be some what successful, but most do not know what they have because even the manufacturers get it wrong. They say one thing and provide the other. Speed is hardly a factor. What happens is they steer you wrong and everything from ballistic computer solutions to UKD targets are now all wrong. Crap rolls down hill and when the scope starts you out in a bad place, everything follows after that. The only way to truly know is to map it 100% which next to nobody does. Only then can you move on and it adds a lot more layers to the learning process.

Nightforce is very good with this, but don't try talking to your buddy in the same language, his scope, if not a NF is probably off.

I think I am going to replace my Vortex Razor HD 1-6x with this new NF 2.5-10 and run a Trijicon RMR off the side of the Spuhr mount. Ill throw the Razor on a 3 gun build.

Reactions: manki77
I know they're a pain to take, but can we please get a through the scope pic with that beautiful scenery next time you're out?

I just want to live vicariously... Texas lacks in views.

Sendero,
I understand the MOAR for those users, but I'd prefer the MLR 2.0 for a mil based scope rather than mil dot. Maybe it won't work in this scope, but if MOAR does it seems MLR 2.0 would. Since you are communicating directly with NF please run this by your contacts.

Screw the rifle that is some incredible country! Awesome views and the rifle is pretty bad ass.

Sendero,
I understand the MOAR for those users, but I'd prefer the MLR 2.0 for a mil based scope rather than mil dot. Maybe it won't work in this scope, but if MOAR does it seems MLR 2.0 would. Since you are communicating directly with NF please run this by your contacts.

The new Mil-R reticle is available with the 2.5-10x42mm with the .1 Mrad ZeroStop adjustments.

Sean

Sean and Sendero,

Thanks for the info:

The new Mil-R reticle is available with the 2.5-10x42mm with the .1 Mrad ZeroStop adjustments.

I didn't notice that option on the website. Now I can go shopping for a couple scopes.

Sendero Man, have you tested this NF in low light? How did it perform? How would you rate the glass overall?

s

Which way does the cattail point at low and high magnification. Just seeing if its gonna be in the way.

Also, how low does the illum go? My older version didn't really dim far enough down for my preference.

Which way does the cattail point at low and high magnification. Just seeing if its gonna be in the way.

Also, how low does the illum go? My older version didn't really dim far enough down for my preference.

I will check that out when I get back home tonight...

The illumination goes way low and the choice of green and red is GREAT ! I think you'd be very pleased.

Got the 2 I ordered from Euro Optics from the UPS man yesterday.

First impression is REALLY favorable.

The glass is much better to my eye. I compared it next to my 3.5-10x32 and could notice a distinct difference in brightness and clarity.

The illumination gets really dim for that real low light situation. And I love the red or green option.

The cat tail swings from just inside 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position for full movement of power settings throughout the range. It's not likely to interfere with viewing as it is very short. Just enough to give you good purchase on it for movement.

I'll be mounting them up later this week and off to the range soon as one will be n my pronghorn rifle for my WY hunt at the end of the month.

Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

I'm more concerned about the cattail catching on my gloves. Can you post a pic of the bolt up and the cattail all the way to the right? Thanks for the info! Also how do you like the clicks? Are they spaced far enough apart?

Can't get the pic you want as I only shoot Blaser rifles and ARs so no turn bolts for photos.

The Cat tail is short enough I can't imagine it ever interfering with bolt manipulation.

The clicks are more affirmative than any on my 2.5-10x32 models.

Anyone have the Mil-R version that can post a through the scope pic of the actual reticle?
Would like to see it without first having to ground check one.
This ret looks a bit thin and busy for what I would use it for.

Sendero Man,

Thanks for posting up your experience with this NF. In looking at the specs on this optic, why did you end up selecting this one instead of something like the Mark 6 3-18 (any reticle) or a Swaro Z6i 2-12 (BR or BRH reticle)? I feel those fall into a similar weight/performance/features niche for a hunting optic, albeit all with legitimate differences (and a price variance). Also I haven't seen it mentioned here or anywhere (and it's not terribly important given the NF is SFP), but as a reference, is the illumination daytime bright/visible? Thank you for your thoughts.

- Sean

I looked at this scope with the MOAR reticle last week at Mile High Shooting Supplies in CO.
I envision it on my Core 30 TAC-LR AR in .308Win.
I like the size a lot. The magnification seems just right to me for what I'd use it for.

There have been several negative comments in this thread about the SFP reticle and they might be valid for guys who want to use it in comps. I've never shot what is now termed a "tactical comp" but did compete in several police sniper competitions out to 1000 yards in the '88-'90 time frame. We shot on M-60 ranges at local military facilities with pop-up targets. Also looked at several for-real bad guys through the scope on call-outs with a 700P .308 and a Bausch & Lomb 10X Police Tactical scope (forerunner to the Bushnell DMR/ERS series of today). 10X really limits field-of-view at short ranges. I want to see hands,as well as heads.

With that use in mind, I find the second focal plane to be a much better setup than a first focal plane. I also looked through several FFP scopes at MHSS while I was there. At low power the reticle disappeared to my old eyes.

To me, the issue is this. Many/most LE shootings are conducted at shorter ranges. Think the San Ysidro McDonalds shooting in 1984. LE sniper solved it with a thirty-five yard or so shot (IIRC). This scope/reticle at low power with a reticle you can easily see (SFP), versus a reticle that is almost invisible at low power (FFP) is a no brainer. I'll take the SFP reticle every time for this scenario.

I disagree with those who are bashing Nightforce for the SFP setup in this scope. They may have been targeting my user group instead of yours. I think they are spot on. This scope is on my list for my AR10 platform.

Thanks to Sendero Man for his review. Scott, that is one beautiful rig you have there. Great work, George.

Last edited:
One heckuva' setup Scott! Your are the Steely-Eyed-Missile-Man when it comes to building nice rifles for snipin' coyotes at distance. Had a 6.5 WSM built up in an XP specialty pistol, and right after I had it built I beat my head against the wall thinking it shoulda' been a 6.5 SAUM instead. Love that case and I don't think I've heard a bad comment on it yet. Everyone that has one loves it. Go get 'em sir!

And he is wrong. Its not the dialing that saves time, its the calculation. A base 10 is always going to be faster and easier to scale in your head then trying to convert inches. Couple in a MOA turret with Mil retticle, and you can enjoy that chineese mind fuck.

He belives in 1 shot 1 kill? Well thats all find in lala land, but in reality , that always is not going to happen.

The point is, don't do any conversion. Don't do any maths. Dial or hold and shoot. Even faster and completely independent of MIL or MOA.

Woo Hoo! Got the tracking info today. Mine will be here Wednesday. Just in time to get it sighted in on my rifle for hunting season.

Not FFP and not Mil.

NF screwed up on this one.
No they didn't. They make a Mil version and in a 2.5-10 range a FFP reticle would be useless on low power. Ive got a vortex 2.5-10x32 and its a nice scope but worthless at 2.5 for fast acquisition unless Ive got the reticle illuminated. FFP is great for the higher range scopes but in 2.5-10 SFP is the way to go.

One heckuva' setup Scott! Your are the Steely-Eyed-Missile-Man when it comes to building nice rifles for snipin' coyotes at distance. Had a 6.5 WSM built up in an XP specialty pistol, and right after I had it built I beat my head against the wall thinking it shoulda' been a 6.5 SAUM instead. Love that case and I don't think I've heard a bad comment on it yet. Everyone that has one loves it. Go get 'em sir!

thanks man.... the 6.5 and the new NF are a deadly combo for sure !

And thanks too John :)

I have the 2.5-10+42 mm in the Mil-R and MRAD turrets for those who are wanting to see what the reticle looks like look go to NF web page and the one for the 2.5-10+42 mm is the same as the FFP Beast but with 6 Mil wind and 8 mil vertical marked but a total of 10 mil when using the .1 Mil hash marks.
It is confusing because on the web page it shows only 4Mil vertical and 2Mil wind listed for the SFP and with the scope being SFP I was pleasantly surprised with I got it and it had the larger Reticle in it.
Very clear very fast scope I have used it on both My duty rifles a SPR and 308 bolt gun in training and works very well in low light and the dark.

Got mine in today from Sportoptics. This thing is awesome. I really like the green illumination. Got it mounted up and going to get it zeroed this weekend for deer season.

I have the 2.5-10+42 mm in the Mil-R and MRAD turrets for those who are wanting to see what the reticle looks like look go to NF web page and the one for the 2.5-10+42 mm is the same as the FFP Beast but with 6 Mil wind and 8 mil vertical marked but a total of 10 mil when using the .1 Mil hash marks.
It is confusing because on the web page it shows only 4Mil vertical and 2Mil wind listed for the SFP and with the scope being SFP I was pleasantly surprised with I got it and it had the larger Reticle in it.
Very clear very fast scope I have used it on both My duty rifles a SPR and 308 bolt gun in training and works very well in low light and the dark.

MIL-R? Reticle | Nightforce Optics, Inc. Is this the one you have?

I have the 3.5-15 on a coyote rig, and on another hunter. I run the 5.5-22 on my .308, .338 LM and 7mm.

The 2.5-10x42 was perfect size and weight for this rifle. Kept 10 oz. off the weight of rifle and I know it has the same reliability as the 3.5 and 5.5 NXS.

This is a purpose built rifle and the 10 power is plenty. Shot out to 1300+ and no problems. Wouldn't hesitate on a coyote size target at 1k or under.