• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

Just a FYI for those looking to mount their 2-10x42's on AR's. The JP mount seems like it was almost designed for this NF. It is the perfect height and ring spacing for the x42. It sits a little lower than the ADM mount I had it in and this mount is no doubt rock solid.

NF.SPR by wareagle700, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: jp_over
That's a sweet rig. What model Noveske hand guard is that? Where did you get it? I have a Noveske with the quad rail and I want one more similar to yours. You can shoot me PM if need be.

As far as the parallax, the numbers don't mean squat and rarely indicate elimination of parallax at the corresponding range. You are best to dial out the parallax with each target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just mounted mine a few days ago and I'm fairly impressed with the quality. I do have a few complaints though.

• The parallax adjustment isn't labeled at beyond ticks and infinity. Does anyone know the specific values each tic mark represents?. Is this normal? Most other company's parallax adjustments seem to have yards marked.
  • Anyone notice some chromatic aberration specifically regarding blues when you move off center of the ocular lens? I compared it against my Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 (3-9) and there isn't nearly as noticeable.
  • The illumination isn't uniform. The red is slightly brighter the further down you go on the reticle. The green reticle is brightest at the top and less bright as you go down the reticle (the brightness is inverse). It isn't too bad, but its noticeable at night. I imagine this is a design/manufacturing limitation.

The chromatic aberration is the thing I'm most concerned about.

I shared some of your concerns with mine. The illumination issue and the abnormalities or distortion toward the outer edges. I ran the scope with confidence anyway. Well, all that went to the crapper. Went out yesterday and notice a black halo on the upper and lower edges accompanied with blurring everywhere. Upon initial inspection it looked like fluid moving around. Got home, un mounted and heard rattling in the optic. Looked again and now you can see a lens or a retainer laying across the middle of the viewing plane.
Sent back to NF today. CS seems fine so far other than a replacement optic is all but out of the question. I really don't favor a nearly $2k refurbished or repaired optic; that's not what I bought.
I'll have to wait and see how this turns out. Oh Yeah, rifle season for deer opens here in less than two weeks. Perfect timing. My money didn't buy much in the quay of reassurance there. Maybe just my luck.....

Now that we are years down the road. Updates on this scope ? Feelings ? Experiences?

Im also interested in this scope and opinions from owners who have used it.This scope seems like a handy little package.

It is an older design and there are better scopes out now, but really, if you want that mag range in a compact, lightweight scope there isn't much competition. If they would expand the atacr line and add a 2-10 or 2-12 in a similar size/weight package as the old 2.5-10, i bet they would sell a crap ton of them. That said, i love mine and don't see myself replacing it with anything any time soon.

I run two of them and they aren’t going anyplace soon. Yes, I do understand the difference in FFP, glass etc. I run NF FFP ATACR scopes and about everything Swarovski, including the EL 12x50 and BTX95...but the “old” NF 2.5-10x42 is my go to pack in deep backcountry mountain rifle scope.

Except the VX6HD reticles are all gayer than aids and there’s no mil version. Also just keeping it real.

Reactions: BobinNC and B-P-UU
No need for ATACR in this mag range as you do not ever need FFP in a max 10x scope.

Reactions: Geno C.
I knew some douchebag would say that... the point is...no need for FFP. Very few folks around here who actually know their ass from a hole in the ground use SFP ATACRs

• Haha
Reactions: TheMammoth
I knew some douchebag would say that... the point is...no need for FFP. Very few folks around here who actually know their ass from a hole in the ground use SFP ATACRs

WTF are you saying then? If there is no point in ffp in this mag range, then they could make a sfp atacr. Why is someone a douchebag for pointing that out? It would still be an upgrade to the old nxs. I happen to agree with you that i would probably want sfp in this mag range, but some people prefer ffp. That's why they make both.

I love this model Nightforce. I got it when they just released and its lived on a few of my rifles. Currently it performs just as good as the day I bought it. I was doping my rifle out in the pic cause I had swapped out my mount from a SPUHR to the Giesselle mount and my spotter on the left wanted a break from calling out corrections all day lol

Gd your panties twisted up fast. Do me a favor and have your wife’s boyfriend pick up your Thorazine prescription today, you’re coming off a little unbalanced.

Also let me get this straight, no one who knows their ass from a hole in the ground would use a SFP ATACR but we all agree this NXS is pretty sweet and a lot of knowledable guys use it? ?

I think many of these opinion oriented posts deviate rapidly from the original intent OP because some human beings feel the need to argue on behalf of what they own.

It is as if some people must obtain affirmation from others in order to feel good about what they own.

It is not just this forum. “If you don’t ride a Harley you are just a wannabe idiot” etc...kind of weird if you ask me.

Name one single ATACR improvement that would have relevance to the 2.5-10 NXS? Slightly better glass, that’s it. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to make an ATACR version of the 2.5-10.

Take your Johnny come lately bigger and better bs and sell it elsewhere. Other than reticles, NF knows the market better than any other company out there. If an ATACR made sense...they’d make it.

Don’t you girls have some online training to do?

• Haha
Name one single ATACR improvement that would have relevance to the 2.5-10 NXS? Slightly better glass, that’s it. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to make an ATACR version of the 2.5-10.

Take your Johnny come lately bigger and better bs and sell it elsewhere. Other than reticles, NF knows the market better than any other company out there. If an ATACR made sense...they’d make it.

Better glass
Larger main tube
Better turrets
Better optical design
Better zero stop
Better coatings
Better feeling clicks

Would probably be available with more reticles

??‍♂️ I’m not saying you’d have to buy it, I’m saying I would. Pull the yam outta your ass and settle down.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
Exactly, irrelevant changes for a lightweight compact lower power reasonably priced scope. Thank you for making my point.

Exactly, irrelevant changes for a lightweight compact lower power reasonably priced scope. Thank you for making my point.

Some people want a better scope so the reasonable priced thing is completely relative. But I get it, sometimes autism causes folks to think opinions are laws. You’ll get there little buddy.

• Haha

Look here Einstein, the ATACR 4-16 and NXS 3.5-15 both happily coexist in the NF lineup, the NXS 2.5-10 doesn't have to go anywhere. People want more options, ask yourself why that makes you so butthurt.

Except the VX6HD reticles are all gayer than aids and there’s no mil version. Also just keeping it real.

There are Mil versions available.
The TMR/TMOA, windplex and Firedot reticles are all good choices for different uses, unsure of their sexual orientation though.

• Haha
2 of you 3 little bitches joined on Valentine’s Day in 2017. Coincidence??? You all know NOTHING of which you attempt to speak. Go add new hand guards to your RPRs and polish up your Burris scopes and leave actual useful commentary to those who know what they are talking about.

I'd like a FFP 2-12, just because I'm used to using FFP scopes, there's no real-world downside to a FFP reticle even at lower powers and I often shoot animals etc at 6x or so for field of view but still like to be able to hold wind.

2 of you 3 little bitches joined on Valentine’s Day in 2017. Coincidence??? You all know NOTHING of which you attempt to speak. Go add new hand guards to your RPRs and polish up your Burris scopes and leave actual useful commentary to those who know what they are talking about.

I think i know what's going on here...

I polished my RPR so much that it turned Sage.

You're in luck then, Vx6hd and Vx5hd both do that well.
ILya can even attest to the Vx6 tracking reliably.

Others can attest to them not tracking reliably. I think a lot of scopes will pass an initial tracking test but over time are more prone to issues. I’m sure they work good for lots of people but if I have a hard to draw tag I’ll take an aiming device with lesser glass, a little extra weight, and history of reliable tracking every time.

Reactions: PFG
Others can attest to them not tracking reliably. I think a lot of scopes will pass an initial tracking test but over time are more prone to issues. I’m sure they work good for lots of people but if I have a hard to draw tag I’ll take an aiming device with lesser glass, a little extra weight, and history of reliable tracking every time.

So you think the NXS has "lesser glass"? I agree but why doesn't NF charge less for them then? I see them at Eurooptic for $1990. That's a hefty price tag for a scope with lesser glass.

It also has a very basic reticle selection (mil dot, mil-r), and the 5 mil per turn turrets are antiquated. This scope is no longer competitive in the marketplace and that's coming from an owner of one.

So you think the NXS has "lesser glass"? I agree but why doesn't NF charge less for them then? I see them at Eurooptic for $1990. That's a hefty price tag for a scope with lesser glass.

It also has a very basic reticle selection (mil dot, mil-r), and the 5 mil per turn turrets are antiquated. This scope is no longer competitive in the marketplace and that's coming from an owner of one.

I disagree, people are willing to pay for reliability. I could pick fly shit out of chili on glass quality but on a 10x hunting scope I just want to it to hit where the crosshairs say it should. Until other scopes have a similar feature set and reliability track record @ 20 ounces, the nxs compact will be a leading option for weight conscious hunting rifles.

I disagree, people are willing to pay for reliability. I could pick fly shit out of chili on glass quality but on a 10x hunting scope I just want to it to hit where the crosshairs say it should. Until other scopes have a similar feature set and reliability track record @ 20 ounces, the nxs compact will be a leading option for weight conscious hunting rifles.

You say the VX6 series doesn't track but mine and others I hear from don't have an issue and that people are willing to pay a high price for the NXS when it's feature set is dated. Well ok then but I'm disappointed with my purchase.

You say the VX6 series doesn't track but mine and others I hear from don't have an issue and that people are willing to pay a high price for the NXS when it's feature set is dated. Well ok then but I'm disappointed with my purchase.

I will take your crappy NXS. ?

I happen to have a wtb add right now for a mil-r nxs compact.

What features are dated on the nxs compact? A couple illum colors, actually comes in mils, better turrets than vx6..

The features that are dated have been explained.

Being dated doesn’t change the fact that it’s a great scope, I enjoy mine thoroughly. ??‍♂️

I just really want an updated premium version.

What features are dated on the nxs compact? A couple illum colors, actually comes in mils, better turrets than vx6..
I do not see this scope come up for sale often,I guess owners are happy with them.Any luck finding one?

I read some of the flaming pile above, I'll avoid it.

I have this scope on a Sig 716 and it does exactly what I need it to do. I don't love the illumination, and that is my only real complaint. With a PVS30 in front of it, the setup is titties for low light use.

I get that it's dated, and am fine with that. The day I sell a Nightforce for a Leupold - to get reliability - is the day all my ordinance should be taken from me, for catastrophically bad decision-making.

Carry on.

I will take your crappy NXS. ?

It's a ml dot illuminated w/Tenebraex flip caps and I wouldn't take less than market value if that's what you two are wondering but if you want to PM me an offer go ahead I'd happily replace it with a MK5.

It's a ml dot illuminated w/Tenebraex flip caps and I wouldn't take less than market value if that's what you two are wondering but if you want to PM me an offer go ahead I'd happily replace it with a MK5.

Thanks for the heads up, I’m not interested in the dated reticle option though. ?

• Haha