• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR 5-25x In Hand

Mile High Shooting

Accuracy Intl Distributor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • We just got our first ATACRs in from Nightforce. For those not familiar, they are 5-25x, 34mm scopes with ED glass that is a little shorter than the existing 5.5-22x models. Compared to a normal 5.5-22x56mm, these are definitely a big improvement in glass. The turrets feel like the normal, tactile NXS adjustments. This is definitely a rifleman's scope in that it has everything you need with outstanding glass, solid adjustments (and 120 MOA elevation) with a ZeroStop, good reticles, and the proven Nightforce heritage of reliability and repeatability.

Here are a couple pics:
    M0eChoY.jpg

Compared to a 5.5-22x56mm
    LkLkY08.jpg

-Sean

P.S. - For the NF guys reading.. please make it in FFP!

Re: Nightforce ATACR 5-25x In Hand

Sean - We hear you and the suggestions have not fallen on deaf ears.
    wink.gif

What's the price tag on these? Seems like I saw 2200 somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean - We hear you and the suggestions have not fallen on deaf ears.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

YES

Another vote for the ffp option, if you can price point those at like 2500 or so, just a few hundred more than the f1... They will sell like hotcakes. At least among the tactical community.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean - We hear you and the suggestions have not fallen on deaf ears.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

That is great news right there.

wink.gif
    </div></div>

That is good news. i have a few scopes I will replace with this model in ffp.

Since you have both in hand, would it be possible to weigh both and post the readings? The only thing holding me back is the addition weight, as I would love to put one on a hunting rifle....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMS1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you have both in hand, would it be possible to weigh both and post the readings? The only thing holding me back is the addition weight, as I would love to put one on a hunting rifle....</div></div>

My 2013 Nightforce catalog says 38 oz for the ATACR and 32 oz for the 5.5-22x56mm.

From a conversation I had with NF, the ED glass weighs more than the regular glass causing the greater weight.

-Sean

wink.gif
    </div></div>

Nice... I know what I'll be buying in the near future.
    wink.gif

If this were an FFP, I would be on the phone with you, not typing on the internet!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Giddy-Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if this were made in a FFP, how would it differ from the BEAST? I'm not following you guys here.</div></div>

The ATACR is smaller, has Japanese glass vs European glass, has standard illumination vs digital illumination, has standard ZeroStop adjustments vs the Xtremespeed version with the extra lever and is about $1,000 less.

A FFP version would be a stick to the basics model for shooting instead of a feature rich, top of the line scope that fits into more budgets.

-Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sales@MileHigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Giddy-Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if this were made in a FFP, how would it differ from the BEAST? I'm not following you guys here.</div></div>

The ATACR is smaller, has Japanese glass vs European glass, has standard illumination vs digital illumination, has standard ZeroStop adjustments vs the Xtremespeed version with the extra lever and is about $1,000 less.

A FFP version would be a stick to the basics model for shooting instead of a feature rich, top of the line scope that fits into more budgets.

-Sean </div></div>

I still would like a feature rich version similar to the BEAST only without that darn flip lever and .1mil clicks instead of .2

A FFP ATACR would be better then nothing though and would sit better with me then a BEAST with the flip lever.

Make it 0.1 Mrad, and I'd probably get one even if SFP. I haven't used my FFP scope to range anything ever anyway.
    smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make it 0.1 Mrad, and I'd probably get one even if SFP. I haven't used my FFP scope to range anything ever anyway.
    smirk.gif
    </div></div>

I never range either, but I certainly don't like to have to do any more math than necessary when holding over.

Can we see a picture of it in a SPUHR mount, I may be coming back to you guys to get one of these for my AW260.

I'm in on a F1. Like others, I don't range with my current F1 3.5, but things change.

Yes!!!

Please make it in FFP and I will buy one!

LRCampos.

I'll also chime in make this scope in FFP and I'm all over it. Hopefully it isn't 5 years in the future though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaaron11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So,
    ATACR = Porsche 911
    BEAST = Porsche 911 Turbo </div></div>

Lol. I've never thought about it like that but it makes sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sales@MileHigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Giddy-Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if this were made in a FFP, how would it differ from the BEAST? I'm not following you guys here.</div></div>

-Sean </div></div>

Just curious.

When you say "standard illume" do you mean like the old style current full sized NXS or like the newer style compact NXS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sales@MileHigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Giddy-Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if this were made in a FFP, how would it differ from the BEAST? I'm not following you guys here.</div></div>

-Sean </div></div>

Just curious.

When you say "standard illume" do you mean like the old style current full sized NXS or like the newer style compact NXS?</div></div>

Normal, full size NXS illumination.

I have to agree on this one. Offer it in F1 and Ill be all over it!

Also what is the difference in the Euro glass in the BEAST and the Jap glass in the ATACR? Does one offer something the other dosnt? That may be a reason for me to go after the BEAST even though I have no use for the throw lever.

Both have ED/HD glass. They both look fantastic.

Whether it be Euro or Japanese, it all comes down to which lens vendors can meet the spec that is necessary for the optical prescription.

It is a fine line of definition between the two different prescriptions. It always comes down to subjectivity. Our machines can measure it objectively, but not everyone sees what our machines do. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in my opinion.

Sometimes the Euro suppliers cannot meet the spec but the Japanese can. Sometimes neither Japanese nor European can but USA can. It just depends on who can meet a required spec as to what gets used when needed.

I can say that the difference in ED glass versus non ED is rather large. Think watching a football game on HD television versus non HD television.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both have ED/HD glass. They both look fantastic.

Whether it be Euro or Japanese, it all comes down to which lens vendors can meet the spec that is necessary for the optical prescription.

It is a fine line of definition between the two different prescriptions. It always comes down to subjectivity. Our machines can measure it objectively, but not everyone sees what our machines do. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in my opinion.

Sometimes the Euro suppliers cannot meet the spec but the Japanese can. Sometimes neither Japanese nor European can but USA can. It just depends on who can meet a required spec as to what gets used when needed.

I can say that the difference in ED glass versus non ED is rather large. Think watching a football game on HD television versus non HD television. </div></div>

That being said, any plan for ED glass in the 3.5-15 F1?

Its not just as easy as switching out the glass. It requires a new optical prescription. It is wiser to develop a completely new scope in order to change glass.

I emailed NF to ask if they would be offering a FFP version of the ATACR. Here's the response I received:
    >>>
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Thank you for contacting Nightforce optics.

At this time, Nightforce optics does not plan to offer a first focal plane version of the ATACR as we do offer the BEAST. However, Nightforce is continually working to improve our product offerings through the development and integration of new designs and/or concepts. Much of our research and development is focused on both first and second focal plane optical designs. Although there is no specific information we can offer at this time regarding new products, please feel free to continue to check back. We will offer what information we have as it is made public.

If there is something specific that you would like to see added to and/or modified in our product line, please contribute your thoughts. We welcome all suggestions from our customers, as we want to be sure that we are offering the products the market/customer desires.

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.

Best regards,

Customer Service 4
    Nightforce Optics, Inc
    336 Hazen Lane, Orofino, Idaho 83544
    (208)476-9814 p (208)476-9817 f
    [email protected]
    www.nightforceoptics.com</span>

Since NF is specifically asking folks to "contribute your thoughts," it might make sense to email them and express your interest.

e-mail them the links to all the threads on this... Longrangehunting, the multiple here and anywhere else

We already have a rep. here, but I suppose if you really felt the need to push your point, this would be a way.

What's it look like side by side to a S&B (glass quality wise)? This seems to be a big question and since you guys have both in stock....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">e-mail them the links to all the threads on this... Longrangehunting, the multiple here and anywhere else

We already have a rep. here, but I suppose if you really felt the need to push your point, this would be a way. </div></div>

Guys, I can assure you its not necessary.

Any word on when the BEAST will be hitting the shelves?

Any plans to release a Beast with a standard .1 mil adjustment knob?

I mounted my ATACR MOAR up yesterday, absolutely clear optics from the center all the way to the edge with no distortion 360* around the glass.
    Very Bright Scope, in town I can glass everything in sight at night without turning on the rectical...So Far So Good I'm liking it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any plans to release a Beast with a standard .1 mil adjustment knob? </div></div>

Possibly something to consider down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aldvsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I emailed NF to ask if they would be offering a FFP version of the ATACR. Here's the response I received:
    >>>
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Thank you for contacting Nightforce optics.

At this time, Nightforce optics does not plan to offer a first focal plane version of the ATACR as we do offer the BEAST. However, Nightforce is continually working to improve our product offerings through the development and integration of new designs and/or concepts. Much of our research and development is focused on both first and second focal plane optical designs. Although there is no specific information we can offer at this time regarding new products, please feel free to continue to check back. We will offer what information we have as it is made public.

If there is something specific that you would like to see added to and/or modified in our product line, please contribute your thoughts. We welcome all suggestions from our customers, as we want to be sure that we are offering the products the market/customer desires.

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.

Best regards,

Customer Service 4
    Nightforce Optics, Inc
    336 Hazen Lane, Orofino, Idaho 83544
    (208)476-9814 p (208)476-9817 f
    [email protected]
    www.nightforceoptics.com</span>

Since NF is specifically asking folks to "contribute your thoughts," it might make sense to email them and express your interest. </div></div>

Well, I'm glad I decided not to wait on a FFP ATACR. Although add me to the list of those who are willing to buy one if it comes out.

Sean is they any way we can get some dimensions? I am trying to figure out what rings i need, cause its shorter distance to the bell than my 5.5-22x56 so i am wondering if its going to touch my barrel then.

wow wish I had the bread for that!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean is they any way we can get some dimensions? I am trying to figure out what rings i need, cause its shorter distance to the bell than my 5.5-22x56 so i am wondering if its going to touch my barrel then.</div></div>

What dimensions do you need?

-Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean is they any way we can get some dimensions? I am trying to figure out what rings i need, cause its shorter distance to the bell than my 5.5-22x56 so i am wondering if its going to touch my barrel then. </div></div>

Most likely it will require one step up in rings for proper clearance over what your NXS requires due to the shorter length on a long action gun. Our 34mm rings start at 1.00" height.
    Short actions will most likely remain the same, but then again, we start at 1.00" heights.

I have the ATACR, looks good to me. I like it, definitly clear as a bell edge to edge. But.... is it HD or not? It is not in any material I have found.

Is it an HD scope or non HD just with premium glass? HD not to be confused with people calling clear scopes "HD", I mean clinically HD. To be called HD and actually be HD thought it had to be APO dealing with 1/4 wavelength reduction in the red spectrum yada yada. Any one can google, not going to bother pasting in technical details, but pretty sure there is a specific criteria that needs to be met to be called "HD" is the point of that is all. Not at all sure that ED glass makes it HD. Maybe it does, don't know.

Is the ATACR HD or just really good glass? Either way it look absolutly great, I ask so I know what I have and so I don't propigate mis-infomation when people ask about it, which they frequently do at the range is all.

Thanks!

It's heavy, but a good and compact scope. If it was 3.5-15x and FFP it would be ideal.

I believe that scope already exists... it's called the Nightforce F1. :p
    Have another look at the pic at the top of this thread. When you see the two scopes side-by-side, and hold them, you will see that they are very different.