• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR Accuracy Concern

notmuch

notmuch
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
I am currently in a state of disbelief over what I discovered today on the first trip to the range with my brand new Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56. I can't hold an acceptably accurate group with it. This scope was purchased as a step up from the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 that has been atop my Remington 700 in .308 caliber for the past year and a half. Out of the box, the ATACR appeared to be everything I'd hoped for. The glass is amazing. The magnification range is just right for the type of shooting I do (tactical long range precision). The MIL - R reticle is fantastic. I can live with SFP. So, before actually shooting with it, this scope seemed to be a great choice to replace my Nightforce 3.5-15 F1. However, after trying to make it work all day, that's not the case. A 3 inch spread at 100 yards equates to a possible 30+ inch miss at 1000 yards and resulting elevation and windage adjustments chasing a hit that would actually be luck at that point.

My new ATACR is mounted on the same Nightforce 20 MOA base that my old Nightforce F1 was on and I'm using brand new Nightforce 34mm Ultralite rings in 1" height. First, I got it on paper at 50 yards and moved to the 100 yard range where the rifle could be supported on sandbags on top of a concrete bench rest to establish my zero. That's when the trouble began. The best 5 shot group was over 3". I hadn't shot this rifle in about 3 weeks so at first I decided I was just not shooting well. My prior experience with this rifle set up and the old NF F1 scope mounted was very consistently achieving quarter size 5 shot groups under the same conditions at 100 yards. I rechecked all the hardware to verify that everything was torqued to factory spec. I cleaned the barrel. I practiced dry firing for 30 minutes. Then fired another 5 live rounds but there was no improvement in pattern or grouping.

During my dry fire routine, I noticed that occasionally the reticle appeared to jump or skip appreciably from my point of aim in the sight picture at the moment the firing pin was released. I thought this must surely be an indication that I was anticipating the shot and jerking the trigger. So I called on a fellow long range shooter who I know to be an experienced marksman with precision accuracy skills to give it a try. His results were no better than mine. Together we went over my entire set up and tried to determine what was causing the problem. We removed the new ATACR from the rings and disconnected the cross bolts securing the rings to the base. I thoroughly cleaned the scope tube and rings, and then remounted it to the rifle. After double checking the torque settings, we bore sighted, and got back on paper but still no improvement in pattern or grouping at 100 yards. Out of a last ditch attempt to figure out what was causing the issue (read as: "we know it can't possibly be a problem with the new Nightforce ATACR scope), we decided to put the Nightforce F1 scope back on the rifle to see what would happen. The first 3 rounds using the old Nightforce were touching and the overall 5 shot group at 100 yards was less than 1 MOA.

Our conclusion, based on these events, is that there is something wrong with my brand new Nightforce ATACR. This is almost unbelievable, given Nightforce's well deserved reputation for the highest standard of quality, but I don't know what else to think. It's a huge disappointment. I will be in contact with Nightforce this week and guess I'll get to find out how good their legendary customer service is.

Has anyone else had this type of problem with a Nightforce scope? Any ideas on what the nature of the problem is?

For a potential quick remedy, check to see if the retailer will accept it as a returned defective item and simply get a replacement.

I would never buy a nightforce anything. To many problems. It doesn't matter that they make it right. They shouldn't have these problems in the first place.

I dealt with NF customer service just a few weeks ago. My brand new Nightforce Competition was missing its extra windage knob (it's supposed to come with two different styles). Not a big deal, but they went to great lengths to make sure that they not only got me a new knob as quickly as possible, but they called to talk - evidently they wanted to find out *how* the knob wound up missing (not that I was much help). That's not just good customer support - it's good quality control. I'd be shocked if they didn't fix you up.

Tagged..... Thought my NF ATACR could be doing the same. Still checking it to see if it's a scope or rifle issue. All my other NSX's work great!

Last edited:
I would never buy a nightforce anything. To many problems. It doesn't matter that they make it right. They shouldn't have these problems in the first place.

Really??? Pray-tell why would you make such a bold statement? In my work fields I have been surrounded by NF optics and have deployed them, talked to operators who have done the same and shot the shit out of my NF products for damn near a decade. I have yet to find anyone who has "actual" time behind the glass that would suggest they are a problematic optic. I hear the SFP/FFP thing, and that is valid. The pinickey ZS, agreed. The PIA adjustment screw for the reticle lighting system, I'll give you that. But too many problems? My friend they will have to pry the NF optics out of my cold dead hands before I give them up. They have served me, my community and my brothers in arms very well. The one issue I ever had was when on a call out "I" scratched the objective glass. Called NF, sent it in and it was back in 10 days, repaired and the tec had gone over it with a fine tooth comb and it was service ready again. That was four years ago and it is still going strong.

So sir, please elaborate on "to many problems"?

Sully

I bought a new ATACR back in March to replace a 5.5-22x50 NXS and it arrived just in time for a week long shooting trip. Using NF ultralight rings, I installed the scope the day I arrived at our friend's place and proceeded to take it out that evening to sight in. Three shots later it was zeroed. Over the course of the week it performed flawlessly on targets out to 1400 yards. The shortest range we shot that week was about 850. All I can say is you must have received a lemon or something. The ATACR is an awesome optic and I really enjoy using it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too after you get the problem sorted out. My experience with the ATACR as it relates to tracking/repeatability mirrors the other NF optics I own: perfect. I have an F1 and a couple other NXS and they all track great, no issues whatsoever. The ATACR glass is a nice bump up from some of the the NXS I have too, although I do feel the F1 is a very close second to the ATACR.

Post rant, back on point: To the OP, I can tell you that all optics no matter how high the quality will have a lemon pop up. I would give you the standard advice to first, recheck torque, dry fire.... but you have completed step one so step two is call NF. I am 100% sure they will want it back ASAP for two reasons, one find the problem and correct it and two to make sure there is not an issue on a run of scopes that may affect others. Trust me there turn around time is very fast considering how many NF scopes are out there. And to bridge that into the post about "too many problems" if the NF line had "too many problems" then they would have 60 tec's working night and day to keep them all up and running OR it would take 6 months to get it back from the shop. Seems with only a few tec's and a 2-3 week turn around they don't get much activity. Just sayn.

Sully

Shot a BR Varmint Silhouette match last Sunday with friends, one of whom had purchased a new ATACR for his 6XC over the winter months. He's been drinking the NF koolaid for years - always told me that he's never had a rifle that didn't shoot better after he put a NF on it. I'm pretty sure he's still telling everyone the same thing, as he shot very well with the new ATACR. I took a look through it, and it does have some pretty fine glass, though due to the type of shooting I'm doing most often, I wouldn't spend that much for a sfp scope. He took one look through my new Kahles K624i AMR and handed the rifle back, saying the reticle is 'too busy'. To each his own....but no doubt, NF will take care of your problem.

I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation of hearing how NightForce has so many problems. Please elaborate and educate all of us with your vast wealth of knowledge.

I recently had a Bushy HDMR take a crap on me. This was the first time in over ten years that I strayed from Nightforce and I will never do it again. The Bushy has a great following here on the Hide so I expected no problems but as sulcop said everyone lets one slip past once in a while. I had to return a 12-42x56 NSX a couple months ago after it took a hard fall on the sunshade and stripped part of the trim ring theads out. I talked to Sunny at NF and he got me fixed up inside a weeks time and it was good to go. I guide elk and dear hunters 6 months out of the year and my gear gets used a ton, more so my optics than the rest of it, you wont find better CS than at NF. Trying to get anything swaro repaired is a flat out joke with long wait times. NF will get you fixed asap I'm sure of it.

All brands have lemons sometimes - what matters is how often they slip them out, and how they fix the ones that do slip out. All I've heard is that NF is tops on both accounts. Still sucks if it happens to you.

My first new car was a Honda Accord that turned out to be a lemon. Sometimes you just win the bad-lottery, even after picking what should have been the most reliable, best option.

Thanks for all the support. The "winning the lottery but in a crappy way" comment made me laugh and pause long enough to put things in perspective. Hell man, this is a luxury problem for me. It's not like my life depends on it. I'm so grateful for the young guys out there putting their lives on the line for me. The way I look at it now is that nothing is perfect and even with the highest standard of quality that Nightforce has earned, statistically speaking, there has to a problem sometime. Better a civilian like me win the crap lottery than a man in harms way.

I called Nightforce today and they were great about it, said it sounded like I'd already done the trouble shooting they would have recommended, and issued a factory return authorization. It'll take a couple weeks but they will make sure it's right. I'll post more about it when I find out. In the meanwhile, the old Nightforce NXS F1 is back on top and I have 100% confidence in it.

It seems like a crappy deal right now, but it will likely get worked out in the end. Just think, it's better than being stuck with a paper weight worth a few grand. The only real cost here is time and some frustration.

I got the scope back from NF yesterday. Considering the time intransit, the actual repair work was fairly quick. The scope was sent back to NF on 5/13/14 and it was returned to me on 6/4/14. There was not a real explanation included indicating what was done to correct the problem so I'll assume they did something. Unfortunately, I will not be able to shoot my rifle with the repaired scope for at least two weeks. I will provide an update as soon as I'm able to get to the range. More to follow.