• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Direct Mount

Tommyquest

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2007
Poughkeepsie, NY
Any opinions on the Nightforce one piece mount? Are the pros and cons similar to the AI mount?
mountsdirectmountL.jpg

Re: Nightforce Direct Mount

I personally prefer the Unimount with the picatinny mount, that way it is easy to switch the scope between two rifles. If you plan on keeping the scope on that rifle, that mount would be great.
myerfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally prefer the Unimount with the picatinny mount</div></div>

That's too tall for most bolt actions. The lowest you can get a unimount is 1.125" .....

The direct mount is a really nice system. If I didn't use Surgeon receivers, I'd get one.

I have a Remington XB40 Tacticle, my Nightforce 8-32 NSX in the Unimount, only has about 3/16" clearance between scope and barrel. If I put some Butler Creek caps on, I would be pretty close.
myerfire

Thanks for the input. Of all my searching I couldn't find anybody that was using it other than the B.O., Leupy, or Seekins setups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommyquest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input. Of all my searching I couldn't find anybody that was using it other than the B.O., Leupy, or Seekins setups.</div></div>

I use the Unimount on an AR-10.

I can't imagine needing 1.125" (30mm) rings on a 700 based bolt gun, and would reconsider a lot of other things before I did use them.

Tommy, unless you need the ultra heavy bases and rings the DNZ mount is the same concept of one piece base and rings for about $80 with 10, 20 or 30moa built in.

Tommy,

I talked with Ken at Nightforce recently about some of their rings and mounts and if I'm not mistaken, I believe he told me that you could get the Direct Mount in 1"high also. Might give them a call they are very helpful. I'm looking at buying the Direct Mount myself for a future custom build.

Jim

I hope the guys with custom builds are thinking about what a direct mount will do to their recievers and accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spec762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope the guys with custom builds are thinking about what a direct mount will do to their recievers and accuracy.</div></div>

And what would that be?

You should make sure any base sits right on the receiver of any rifle. Doesn't matter if it is a one piece, two piece or uni mount or a factory or custom rifle. It won't effect the receiver but can torque the base as they are the weaker link in that system connection and misalign the rings slightly causing scope binding. This is why lapping and proper installation is needed. You can just do a light bed job also.

I used to run a IBA one piece mount. Just screwed it on and mounted the scope and accuracy was not effected one bit. It fit well. The reason I got rid of it was that I wanted to easily swap a scope from one rifle to another.

To bring this back to the top....when they give the 1.0" or 1.125" measurment are they talking from reciever to the center of the rings? I am having a hard time finding any info on them. Also if someone can speak to the "Ultralight" portion....is it really a weight saver as opposed to some Seeking Alum?

I have started to look at these for my 700p 338 lapua. Not alot of info found yet.

I have a Direct Mount on 2 rifles, both Rem 700 SA. One is a medium seize (1") on a 17 Remington with a Falcon Menace 4-14x, the other is large (1.125") on a .308 Win with NF 5.5-22x56. I wish I had a medium for that one too.

They are really nice mounts. I will continue to get one on any new 700s I get.

How much room is between the barrel and scope on the 308? Will the medium work without issue with that scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much room is between the barrel and scope on the 308? Will the medium work without issue with that scope? </div></div>

I would say yes.

Awesome thanks. I am waiting to hear back from Richard Near first. Will be either his setup or Nightforce.