• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Elevation/Windage Question

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I have mounted a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS w/ NP-R1 Reticle on my Warner Tool Build, also with a Badger USMC DMR (1.031") Rings, 20MOA Base, Rem700 L/A .300Win. Mag./ Bartlien 1-10 26" MTU Barrel.

I Have zeroed it @ 100yrds. It will be for Target shooting only @ ranges from 100yrds-1000yrds.

I checked how many minutes of (up) Elevation I have left after zeroing and I have 47 minutes left.

Im wondering if anyone could tell me my max effective range without having to hold over?

Will I be able to get out to 1K no problem?

Im guessing the 208gr. A-MAX (example) is going to use more than 34 MOA to get out to a 1K but that doesnt include whatever windage im going to use.

Re: Nightforce Elevation/Windage Question

depends on your load
look it up on one of the ballistic calculators
hornady, etc.

You should be able to get to 1k no problem

If I were you I'd swap the 20 MOA base for a 40 MOA. The 20 will be easy enough to sell.

Your barrel must be sitting near BDC (barrel droop) as 47moa of total elevation with a 20MOA base isn't much.

47 moa elevation is more than enough to get you to 1000yds with a 300 win mag. You'll probably only need around 20 moa for 1000yds but this will depend on your velocity and conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your barrel must be sitting near BDC (barrel droop) as 47moa of total elevation with a 20MOA base isn't much. </div></div>

I thought I would have more Elevation left after zeroing also.

Never heard of BDC/Barrel Droop before.