• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce NX8 for hunting?

Genin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
Williamsport, Pa
Have any of you used the NX8 for hunting? If so, I’d love to hear your opinions on it. It’s only 28oz, so it’s not overly heavy. And Nightforce is a brand that is known for durability, and I think that’s incredibly appealing.

I’m a fan of my 4-32 NX8’s. Size v weight v magnification, great concept. However. They do suffer in low light or at high mag (not at high mag while hunting). Just sayin. They are a good scope for the money you pay in the used market.

I use a 4-32 on my 6.5PRC and a 2.5-20 NX8 on a 308 for deer hunting.

I think the 4-32 is a bit more useful, gives you that little bit more mag to check out a shadow.

Excellent scopes.

This is the 4-32 with Tremor3.
One thing I really prefer about the NX8 over the ATACR is the non-rotating eyepiece housing. Good for attaching triggercam type recorders to.

KKAW0083.JPG

Have any of you used the NX8 for hunting? If so, I’d love to hear your opinions on it. It’s only 28oz, so it’s not overly heavy. And Nightforce is a brand that is known for durability, and I think that’s incredibly appealing.
What type of hunting?

Durable, yes. Ideal reticles for a lot of styles of hunting, not so much.

Reactions: Genin
This is the 4-32 with Tremor3.
One thing I really prefer about the NX8 over the ATACR is the non-rotating eyepiece housing. Good for attaching triggercam type recorders to.

View attachment 8067978
I love the land scapes in the pictures you post.
I never expected Australia to have such picturesque landscapes and such nice deer shooting terrain.

• Love
Reactions: 96C
They are pretty good but do have some trade offs for being light, short and large magnification range.

That said I don't think I've used anything cheaper that I would trade mine for. I have shot plenty in dark timber and it's only possible due to the illumination. The reticle is very thin at 2.5x, but I did shoot my elk at about 10yds just before the sun went down.

I have had both sfp and ffp. That nx8 with the 16 or 32 options is perfect for a hunter and I want one. I just recently did the looking research on them. FFP sucks at first and last light and if you don’t have illumination ( I have it) as a hunter. If you do any red light hunting ffp sucks again.
And I actually had this guy named Judd call out a yardage and had to let it rip under 5 seconds on a scared axis using a crappy vortex sfp scope at 292 yards .

Agree with many post here. I use the NX8s on y lightweight hunting rigs because of the light weight. I use them on Creedmores, and 28 Noslers. They are good hunting scopes.

Agree with many post here. I use the NX8s on y lightweight hunting rigs because of the light weight. I use them on Creedmores, and 28 Noslers. They are good hunting scopes.
I use FFP with a lighted reticle for hunting. I'm used to FFP so that's what I prefer, and in low light, if you don't have the lighted reticle at low power....you arent going to see it.

Reactions: Genin and doc88
Yeah, I feel solid that the NX8 will be going on my rifle down the line. Seems like there were some early complaints on eye box but that was when they were first introduced from what I’ve read so far.

Do you really have to adjust parallax on the NX8’s when changing magnification if the target distance doesn’t change? I’ve seen a couple people say this. I’ve also seen people say it’s a focus thing too and not just parallax and it has to be adjusted with minimal target distance changes too. I’m used to using optics that I can set it parallax free to about 300 yards and engage target 100-500 on the same setting with minimal parallax error and no focus issues and not have to dick with it when engaging multiple targets.

I kinda want to try a 2.5-20 but that would be annoying as fuck if you have the run the parallax that much. Spend more time fiddle fucking the knob than pulling the trigger.

@beetroot (y)
This is Victoria. South Eastern Australia.
Farm land with paddocs of sun burned grass in summer...
Complete opposite from winter when everything is a deep green.

NX82 (2).jpg
NX8 (2).jpg

Reactions: Genin and beetroot
2.5-20x50 F1 Tremor3 in FDE with 30mm 20MOA UltraMount.
Another excellent scope. I think the 4-32 is the pick of the bunch though.
328020215_901883204297936_5098885110363591734_n.jpg