• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NX8 vs ATACR

Zenno

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2021
Florida
Hey everybody, finally decided to make an account and stop lurking after years. I'm finally getting a build done. I've saved up enough to cover the rifle and most of the optic cost.

I've been going back and forth between the NF NX8 4-32x50 F1 and the NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1. I know they're completely different price brackets, but what exactly would I be gaining/losing between the two?
I don't want to buy low and feel like I want to "move up" later or regret my purchase (if that makes sense haha.)

It's going on a 300 WM that will be a pretty do-it-all rifle for me. It's going to be backpacked and used across the US for hunting, target shooting, and maybe some PRS in the future.
Ranges between 200-1000m.
All manner of weather and lighting conditions seeing as it will be hiked with.

Otherwise, if anyone else has a different recommendation as well around ~$2200-2500 (can be stretch a bit if really necessary).

Thanks in advance.

I really like my 4-32. I've been told the 7-35 is a fantastic scope as well.

But really soon, one guy in particular will chime in and tell you how shitty the 4-32 is. It's like clockwork.

You'll get many differing opinions and likely be left with more questions than answers.

Buy the one you really want. It will work.

PS, get the MIL-XT reticle.

IMO, the answer is the one that you can get the best deal for off the PX.

That way it's zero risk.
It's literally like a 6-12 month satisfaction guarantee.

Buy from a long-standing member with good rep after speaking on the telephone.

Unless you're too poor to afford one anyhow (and you're clearly not), it's a very insignificant risk.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I really like my 4-32. I've been told the 7-35 is a fantastic scope as well.

But really soon, one guy in particular will chime in and tell you how shitty the 4-32 is. It's like clockwork.

You'll get many differing opinions and likely be left with more questions than answers.

Agreed with this. This board is full of folks who are both happy with their level and hate on people spending more for better quality, as well as people who spend more and hate on things that just cost less (see any reloading thread or optical thread here). ATACRS are optically better than NX8s that cost less. Pick the camp you prefer.

Going off what you wrote however, I personally would target in on you saying it's for "backpacking" and "hunting". ATACRs are heavy for "backpacking" but again that's similar camps of what level of oz is acceptable to you. Also, I would not buy a 7-35 as 7 to me is way too high for the low end for hunting for me. There are other magnification range ATACRs though I would still think about the weight.

Last note, if looking at new over $3k for a 7-35, I'd be buying a ZCO instead.

Last edited:
Ya I second BP the Atacr is gonna be a tank on a hunting rifle and 4x is as high as I want to go on the bottom end in a hunting context.

Reactions: Tonic
^^^^yep. ZCO 420 for hunting if you can swing it. Resale is only a couple hundred less than you pay 2 years later.

Reactions: HogsLife
Agreed with this. This board is full of folks who are both happy with their level and hate on people spending more for better quality, as well as people who spend more and hate on things that just cost less (see any reloading thread or optical thread here). ATACRS are optically better than NX8s that cost less. Pick the camp you prefer.

Going off what you wrote however, I personally would target in on you saying it's for "backpacking" and "hunting". ATACRs are heavy for "backpacking" but again that's similar camps of what level of oz is acceptable to you. Also, I would not buy a 7-35 as 7 to me is way too high for the low end for hunting for me. There are other magnification range ATACRs though I would still think about the weight.

Last note, if looking at new over $3k for a 7-35, I'd be buying a ZCO instead.

Ya I second BP the Atacr is gonna be a tank on a hunting rifle and 4x is as high as I want to go on the bottom end in a hunting context.
What do you think of an ATACR 5-25 with the Tremor 3 reticle?
I have an extended family member who is looking to let one go.. but I (obviously) was originally looking at slightly higher magnification and a Mil-XT reticle. Only thing that I seemingly don't like on the Tremor 3 is the scant illumination..

Honestly dude I don't wanna wreck the thread but I'd probably go a bit different direction- I'd grab a lightweight tikka 6.5 creedmoor, slap a swfa 3-9 (or maybe a baby atacr) on it, then build a dedicated PRS / range chassis rig.

Do-alls kinda suck IMO.

Are you really gonna shoot critters past 5-600? If not an swfa 6x or 3-9 will make you very happy for minimal coin.

I can't imagine a 300 being my main rig. I like killing and playing with 223, little 6mms, etc.
I'd need a 15lb 300 to enjoy it, and no way I'm schlepping that up a mountain.

Anyhow, sorry to thread wreck, just hate to see you build a dream rig just to leave it at home.

If you're happy swapping optics around the 4-16/20 Atacr or 4x nx8 would happily wear multiple hats. Bigger atacrs, though awesome, aren't to be schlepped imo.

NX8, ATACR, ZCO are 3 roughly equally spaced tiers, to my eyes. The problem I had with my NX8 is that it was priced with scopes that give ATACR performance, so I sent it back. NF seems to be priced ~1K above the better values in their competitive set.

To hone in on your hunting usage, I'd personally see that as the primary use case and for that I'd go 4-32 NX8 F1 MIL-XT all day.

From my experience here are the tradeoffs of the 7-35 vs 4-32:

- 7-35 Atacr:
Weight: 39.3 oz
Length 16.0 in
56mm objective and 34mm tube
uses all "ED Glass"
Large turrets and very proven heritage in the ATACR line
Roatating Ocular

4-32 NX8:
Weight: 28.6 oz
Length 13.4 in
50mm objective and 30mm tube
uses some "ED Glass"
smaller turrets and newer line within NF
non-rotating ocular

Both options offer the Mil-Xt reticle but the weight and size would be factors to me for your scenario. The smaller size and weight the NX8 offers is really nice, although its 11 ish ounces the NX8 feels very compact and light still with a large mag range.

Both come with elevation zero stop, throw lever an nice flip caps. For me if weight and size matter, save the $ get the NX8 4-32 and rock a solid setup. If you want "the best" AND dont care about weight or scope length I'd go 4-20 ATACR or 7-35.

To hone in on your hunting usage, I'd personally see that as the primary use case and for that I'd go 4-32 NX8 F1 MIL-XT all day.

From my experience here are the tradeoffs of the 7-35 vs 4-32:

- 7-35 Atacr:
Weight: 39.3 oz
Length 16.0 in
56mm objective and 34mm tube
uses all "ED Glass"
Large turrets and very proven heritage in the ATACR line
Roatating Ocular

4-32 NX8:
Weight: 28.6 oz
Length 13.4 in
50mm objective and 30mm tube
uses some "ED Glass"
smaller turrets and newer line within NF
non-rotating ocular

Both options offer the Mil-Xt reticle but the weight and size would be factors to me for your scenario. The smaller size and weight the NX8 offers is really nice, although its 11 ish ounces the NX8 feels very compact and light still with a large mag range.

Both come with elevation zero stop, throw lever an nice flip caps. For me if weight and size matter, save the $ get the NX8 4-32 and rock a solid setup. If you want "the best" AND dont care about weight or scope length I'd go 4-20 ATACR or 7-35.
I could have sworn I read the ATACR was lighter than that. Must have been looking at something different... Yeah that definitely helps the consideration moreso. Shooting for about 13lbs on the rifle weight and the ATACR will put me over that.

I replied to some others above, but I have an extended family member looking to sell a 5-25 ATACR with the Tremor 3 reticle for $2300. I like the reticle design, just hate the majority of the reticle lacking illumination. I'll have to look up the weight on the 5-25..

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Honestly dude I don't wanna wreck the thread but I'd probably go a bit different direction- I'd grab a lightweight tikka 6.5 creedmoor, slap a swfa 3-9 (or maybe a baby atacr) on it, then build a dedicated PRS / range chassis rig.

Do-alls kinda suck IMO.

Are you really gonna shoot critters past 5-600? If not an swfa 6x or 3-9 will make you very happy for minimal coin.

I can't imagine a 300 being my main rig. I like killing and playing with 223, little 6mms, etc.
I'd need a 15lb 300 to enjoy it, and no way I'm schlepping that up a mountain.

Anyhow, sorry to thread wreck, just hate to see you build a dream rig just to leave it at home.

If you're happy swapping optics around the 4-16/20 Atacr or 4x nx8 would happily wear multiple hats. Bigger atacrs, though awesome, aren't to be schlepped imo.
No worries. I knew someone would come along with type of message lol.

If I wanted to do what you referenced, I'd definitely just use one of my 6.5G AR15s or my AR10s.

I have specced it out to be as versatile and within my requirements. It was a give and take to be able to fit with what I wanted to do with it. I got behind as many other people's rifles as I could to make the decisions on my build. It's certainly not what everyone would build, but it's what I wanted for the use cases I have planned for it. I plan to keep my bolt gun purchases much more limited compared to my gas guns given the cost differential, so having tons of specialized bolt guns (at this time) is simply not realistic for me.

Reactions: CaptArab
I could have sworn I read the ATACR was lighter than that. Must have been looking at something different... Yeah that definitely helps the consideration moreso. Shooting for about 13lbs on the rifle weight and the ATACR will put me over that.

I replied to some others above, but I have an extended family member looking to sell a 5-25 ATACR with the Tremor 3 reticle for $2300. I like the reticle design, just hate the majority of the reticle lacking illumination. I'll have to look up the weight on the 5-25..
Here’s a chart I built to help, the atacr are built a bit more "robust" and thus typically equals more weight.

on the 5-25 atacr front: have you used the T3 reticle? Is the scope illuminated and is illumination a must have?

Attachments

• 4D5B5B75-DEE8-4C7B-A281-3DCAC210E052.jpeg
    4D5B5B75-DEE8-4C7B-A281-3DCAC210E052.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,025
Reactions: hcsd54
Here’s a chart I built to help, the atacr are built a built more robust and thus equals more weight.

on the 5-25 atacr front: have you used the T3 reticle? Is the scope illuminated and is illumination a must have?
Damn, that's a nice convenient chart. Nightforce only or do you have various other manufacturers?

I have looked through his specific one. I like the holdovers and such, but the illumination is only center for and then some dots going in a single column down the Christmas tree holdovers. (Kind of weird to explain for me).

Illumination is definitely a must as this will be used all over the country in various lighting and it's super necessary for me personally down here in FL culling hogs.

Damn, that's a nice convenient chart. Nightforce only or do you have various other manufacturers?

I have looked through his specific one. I like the holdovers and such, but the illumination is only center for and then some dots going in a single column down the Christmas tree holdovers. (Kind of weird to explain for me).

Illumination is definitely a must as this will be used all over the country in various lighting and it's super necessary for me personally down here in FL culling hogs.
Here’s the work in progress, it’s always getting redone. Lol

the mil-xt has an illumination pattern like the mil-c so you’d for sure get more useful illumination that way if that’s important. Attached are the milxt pattern and a T3 at dusk with illumination on if that helps too.

Attachments

• B17DCD69-BCB8-4994-9FA6-8F5C6B9E3715.jpeg
    B17DCD69-BCB8-4994-9FA6-8F5C6B9E3715.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 936
  • 5E796C98-8078-4CD3-B32A-610EA78397EC.jpeg
    5E796C98-8078-4CD3-B32A-610EA78397EC.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 888
  • 5F4DD270-DEBA-40AD-B224-73C098875075.jpeg
    5F4DD270-DEBA-40AD-B224-73C098875075.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 934

the mil-xt has an illumination pattern like the mil-c so you’d for sure get more useful illumination that way if that’s important. Attached are the milxt pattern and a T3 at dusk with illumination on if that helps too.
Yep, even at the good deal hes offering, that optic just isn't going to work for this rifle..

That's a useful table, thanks. I'd love to see some Kahles on that table too hahaha

If your main priority is PRS or F-Class kinds of shooting, get the. 7-35 ATACR. If hunting is your main priorly, get the NX8. Both are vary good scopes, but they aren’t really in the same category.
ATACR is built like a tank, and has a bigger objective, which means better FOV and less finicky parallax. NX8 is smaller, lighter and easier to move around with, and its cheaper. I think the ATACR had better glass overall, but I can only see the differences at high magnification and they are not huge.

I’ve got a couple of each, and like them, but they have some significant differences.

I think 300wm is a strange do it all personally but if that is the only option roll with it. It will certainly do it, just much more expensive than alternatives.

I'd throw the LHT 4.5-22x50 and the AMG in the mix though. The latter I would would take over every scope mentioned thus far for the intended purpose. The former if you're really going to be hunting a lot and target shooting less. But outside of competing and weighing the thing down it also opens the door to the MK5.

I think a question you need to answer is what is the intended weight of the rifle?

Last edited:
Reactions: Secant
I'd rather shoot at the range with my nx8 then hunt with my 7-35 ATACR.

Nothing wrong with the 300wm as your primary rifle. Sure others might be better, but I don't think there is an area where you are that handicapped.

Sure barrel life will suffer and your cost per round will be slightly higher if reloading. But the cost difference in two rifles will buy a lot of components.

Reactions: Holliday
My "do all" (1000 yard steel for fun and hunting, including backpack hunting) rifle is a 300 Win Mag with a NX8 4-32 F1 Mil-xt. I really like the setup aside from the weight which is 11.94 pounds. A friend has an ATACR. I see a difference, but I was fine learning to adapt to the mildly more sensitive NX8 to save some money.

Reactions: deersniper
Hey everybody, finally decided to make an account and stop lurking after years. I'm finally getting a build done. I've saved up enough to cover the rifle and most of the optic cost.

I've been going back and forth between the NF NX8 4-32x50 F1 and the NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1. I know they're completely different price brackets, but what exactly would I be gaining/losing between the two?
I don't want to buy low and feel like I want to "move up" later or regret my purchase (if that makes sense haha.)

It's going on a 300 WM that will be a pretty do-it-all rifle for me. It's going to be backpacked and used across the US for hunting, target shooting, and maybe some PRS in the future.
Ranges between 200-1000m.
All manner of weather and lighting conditions seeing as it will be hiked with.

Otherwise, if anyone else has a different recommendation as well around ~$2200-2500 (can be stretch a bit if really necessary).

Thanks in advance.

We would be happy to assist you between those two options, feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we can go over the pros and cons of each scope :)

And anyone looking for a smoking deal, we have a display model Nightforce NX8 4-32x50mm F1 Mil-XT $1,935.00
PM, call 916-670-1103 or email [email protected] to grab this one.

I have two NX8 and four ATACRs. For your application you’re gonna be really happy with the NX8 4-32. The most useful thing I can tell you is to buy a demo from Eurooptic.com. I have bought 3 or 4 NF demos from them, and I have not been able to tell that they weren’t brand new.

Reactions: Badjujuu
The only way to really know for yourself is to look at them side by side.

I just upgraded to a NF 7-35 from a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-26 and am broke but happy. Of course that was a big jump but worth it to me. Like a good rifle, you usually get what you pay for. I did a side by side on two Vortex spotting scopes and ended up keeping the less expensive model. Good luck!

I have two NX8 and four ATACRs. For your application you’re gonna be really happy with the NX8 4-32. The most useful thing I can tell you is to buy a demo from Eurooptic.com. I have bought 3 or 4 NF demos from them, and I have not been able to tell that they weren’t brand new.
Eurooptic charges a +/-20% restock if a new scope has been mounted on a rifle, so you would expect a significant discount for a “demo”. Given the torture tests I’ve seen on NF scopes, it’s probably safe to say even a gorilla would be hard pressed to damage one by over torquing during a mount.

I have a do all rifle. Shoot out to 2100 yards then I switch barrels and go hunting. I went threw this not to long ago wanting a do all scope. I was steered away from the nx8 no experience with it at all but they told me save up get the Atacr. Well I ended up with the newer Minox lr great scope and i say it will compete with atarc glass wise. Lowlight it is amazing. $1950 great turrets and I like it because the floating dot is a little bigger and the dot and lines in center are the only part that illuminates which is really nice for hunting. I hated the tree being light up for hunting almost blinding areas for me. My buddy has the atarc loves it. I felt the cronus was almost comparable glass wise to my eyes and the minox beats both to my eyes.

@Zenno maybe share the specs on the rifle build.. I'm not sure if you are working with an 18 pounder or 12.

Having a similar dilemma myself at the moment...... I am torn between an NX8 4-32x50 and the ATACR 5-25x56. I like the Tremor3 and the MilXT reticles. I have been told both scopes are currently vaporware though. The intended purpose is to drop it on a new .308 Rem700 build and try to use it locally for Precision Rifle Matches and some (predominantly stationary) hunting.

Having a similar dilemma myself at the moment...... I am torn between an NX8 4-32x50 and the ATACR 5-25x56. I like the Tremor3 and the MilXT reticles. I have been told both scopes are currently vaporware though. The intended purpose is to drop it on a new .308 Rem700 build and try to use it locally for Precision Rifle Matches and some (predominantly stationary) hunting.
I ended up going with the NX8. The weight savings just couldn't be stated enough for firing in non-bench positions. Add to that the fact that the difference in price basically funded new 300WM reloading tooling and materials purchase..

Mind you, my rifle is a 300WM not a 308. For a 308, I definitely would have gone a lower magnification range. Even with my 300WM I haven't felt the need or desire to dial up more than 20X mag.

If I were you, I'd try to find somewhere to look through the glass and try some of the lower mag options too.

Also, I ended up buying from Doug at Camera Land, definitely give them a call and check what they have in stock. Fair prices, fast shipping, and great people in general.

I ended up going with the NX8. The weight savings just couldn't be stated enough for firing in non-bench positions. Add to that the fact that the difference in price basically funded new 300WM reloading tooling and materials purchase..

Mind you, my rifle is a 300WM not a 308. For a 308, I definitely would have gone a lower magnification range. Even with my 300WM I haven't felt the need or desire to dial up more than 20X mag.

If I were you, I'd try to find somewhere to look through the glass and try some of the lower mag options too.

Also, I ended up buying from Doug at Camera Land, definitely give them a call and check what they have in stock. Fair prices, fast shipping, and great people in general.
Decided on the 5-25x56 ATACR with Trem3 Reticle.... Once I grab it I will start a thread on the build. Thanks for the insights.

Reactions: Budget Sniper
If your main priority is PRS or F-Class kinds of shooting, get the. 7-35 ATACR. If hunting is your main priorly, get the NX8. Both are vary good scopes, but they aren’t really in the same category.
ATACR is built like a tank, and has a bigger objective, which means better FOV and less finicky parallax. NX8 is smaller, lighter and easier to move around with, and its cheaper. I think the ATACR had better glass overall, but I can only see the differences at high magnification and they are not huge.

I’ve got a couple of each, and like them, but they have some significant differences.
I have several of both, I agree with with this 100%.

This is a pretty good assessment. I have both and tend to agree with this. I use my NX8 as a crossover some but my ATACR never goes on a hunting rifle.

A little late to the game on this thread, but I have used both extensively as hunting and precision optics. I have to agree with the above sentiment that for F class, ATACR has the benefits, and for hunting, the NX8. That said, I do think that, all-in-all, the NX8 is my favourite. I don't see much of a difference between the two, but the NX8 is just lighter and cheaper and I probably won't buy another ATACR because at that price range, you might as well get a Leica and have glass that puts everything else to shame.

Going forward, I will put NX8s on everything for which I want insane durability beyond the needs of hunting, and Leica Magnus on everything else unless I want to go super lightweight, in which case a swarovski z5i.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badjujuu
For LW hunting purposes, 100% NX8 or a MK5.

Tactical / Range purposed ATACR, but at that point ZCO isn’t much more $$$, had this same dilemma a few months ago, and decided to go with ZCO 5-27. That decision turned my LW hunting rifle into something entirely different 😂. It’s okay though cuz I love the optic and it gave me a reason to build another rifle for hunting. This LW rifle will get a MK5 3.6-18 or possibly an NX8 2-20.

I have been quite happy with my NX8 4-32 F1 Mil-XT. The only thing I wish it had was a bit more elevation travel since I run it on a long-range rimfire rifle, even on a 30moa base. But I can still dial out to 400 or so depending on the ammo. Optically it's not like my ZCO but it's still quite decent. And I like the light weight and more compact size.

I have a 7-35 ATACR mil-xt on my PRS rifle. I’ve order a NX8 4-32 for a new hunting rifle. I’ll see how they compare

I have a 7-35 ATACR mil-xt on my PRS rifle. I’ve order a NX8 4-32 for a new hunting rifle. I’ll see how they compare
i have both, you'll like both. Eye box on the 7-35 is a little easier to get behind, but both work well

I have the 7-35 ATACR on my Vudoo used for NRL22 typically only out to 100 yards. Thinking that shedding 10 ounces with the Nx8 4-32 would be wonderful. The ATACR is a monster to move positions quickly, but I love what I can see through the ATACR and the turrets are the best I've used from everything I've tried including Vortex and Athlon

The NX8 is lighter and the ATACR performs (slightly) better in all other categories. That's the synoptic takeaway for everything stated above.

The NX8 weighs 29oz, the ATACR 5-25 weighs 37.6 Oz, and the ATACR 7-35 weighs 39.3 oz..

Hope this saves someone 15 minutes.

I run 5-25 ATACRs on LR hunting and practical rigs, bought used and cheap, they work great. Best of luck to all.

Reactions: spacebiker

This is super helpful