• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 or 5-22 X 50 ???

Re: Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 or 5-22 X 50 ???

me, 22X just dial it down if its too much, unless you need that 3.5X

sorry about the next hi-jack, im just curious to how much the other aussies bought there 5.5>22 for, im just about to get my 5.5>22X50 - zero stop - hi rev - mil/mil for just under $2,500, from localy here in OZ.

$2,135 (with zero stop) + 165 for hi speed turrets but packaged in a deal with a rifle. That was for 5.5-22x56mm. Take $145 away for the 3.5-15
blush.gif

I have several nf scopes. I only have 2 5.5-22 and that is on a 50bmg and a 14.5mm/20mm which I shot 2 times and called it quits.

John,

A mate and I regularly shoot our 260Rems (AICS and TRG-22) to over 1000m and occasionally to 1500m and 1600m. He has the 5.5-22x56 NXS and I have the 3.5-15x50 NXS, both mil/mil. Sighting on the centre 2" of an 18" disc at 1mile is easy with both scopes if no mirage is present. (Hitting it presents more of a problem.)

When it comes to running pigs in the scrub, I am glad I can dial down to 3.5x but then he has no trouble at all with 5.5x.

well i have thought long and hard about importing my own scope guys. but this are a few major problems. BTW, i wanted a hensoldt or S&B but when they are asking for over $5000 for a PMII its totally not worth supporting the local economy. Vortex razor HD is over 3 grand here -_-"

1. Customs love making life hell. 5% customs duty and 10%GST if over $1000AUD + admin fee etc etc and they TAKE THEIR TIME TOO.
2. Alot of manufacturers/ retailers are no longer allowed to export alot of scopes outside their country, (mainly USA requires export permit
3. So what happens when you use a mail forwarding service? Can you fill our your own application to export??

btw the price difference isnt that much for a NF scope compared to the USA, so why not buy locally?

JonnyL,

If you think Autralian custom likes to making life hell...

In Brazil the customs duty is 50%.

The Nightforce 5.5x22 has more parallax isssues that the 3.5-15. You will be fiddling with the parallax knob more with it. But the 22 power IS nice.

I must admit, I was always a fan of high-mag during my rim-fire shooting days (24x on a .17HMR etc). I was then introduced to high quality scopes with fine reticles and have been converted ever since.

I run a 3.5-15x50 NF with the NP-R2 ret on my .308, and I shoot 1000yds & 1100yds regularly with the mag generally set at 10-15x. After a while I tend to get bored after a few good groups, and then I'll wind the mag down to 3.5x, and I'm still on the target at 1100yds! Good glass & fine ret = Happy Days, I'm truely converted!.

I have the NF 3.5 x 15 -56 on a 5R and could not be more happy. However for hunting it may be heavy. Mine weighs 12 lbs unloaded.

After getting overloaded with information....I stepped away and focused on what I would be doing with the weapon most of the time and made my decision.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Range report:
</span>
Well, I can safely say that the scope/ XCR combination is a success.. Right out the gates, at 50 meters, I hit the 8" square steel plate on the first shot. Nothing amazing - just a laser down the bore before hand lined it up - worked a treat though. No comments about groupings etc as yet as I was pushed for time this weekend so didn't finely tune my zero. I did make adjustments, and the NF NXS was a dream to do so. Very, very confident adjustments confirmed with results.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope:</span>
Very clear, 5.5x (minimum magnification) was great. I was worried 5.5x could still be a bit much for minimum power but it was totally fine. The 22x power (max) on the other hand, while it was very nice magnification and not "too much" I did find that the difference in eye relief from the lower powers (say, 16x and below) was quite significant.. more or less a pain in the ass. At 22x power I found myself having to shift my eye and or body to find the correct position. Theoretically, though, I know most would not hunt on this power unless you're really lining up the perfect long range shot - but it is worth the mention that you need to be precise with your positioning for max power.

The second issue was, of course, parallax. I found that my eye naturally focuses on the subject before the reticle, so if the parallax is significantly off course (by ~30% or more) then I found that my eye was adjusting for this and focusing on the subject. This, in turn, meant the reticle was blurry and (being so fine) was practically invisible. It's a tricky trade off having such a high power scope and wide 56mm objective - you just have to be on top of this. It is an issue, if ignored. In time, I suspect when dialing a target in it will become more natural and fluid.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Brief note on the XCR:</span>
SOLID. My first rifle and all I can say is the punch of the .308 is nothing but solid. I found the Limbsaver Buttpad was a savior on this gun - recalling the metal fist feeling of the old .303 in my shoulder the last time I was at the range. The gun was outstanding in transport - light, compact, ready to go. A couple of times I was able to quickly pull it out when in the ute and have a crack at a hare or two.

Cracker combination, and weighs not that much more than my mates .22LR Anschutz. Very happy. A note, for the thread - the 3.5 would be a great scope. I love this scope but 22x is tricky to use with the change in eye relief. I'm very willing to bet this gets easier with practice and is not so bad for the long range veteran but I'm just new to this - first impressions can be important.

I think between the 2 power scopes. I like the 3x15 because of weight. The 5.5x weighs a little more and bulkier.

I have the 3.5-15x50, and I find it better because all my gear is always better than the other guy. Because Cartmann has it should be enough reason for you guys but here are the details anyways why 15x is better:

Comparing my 15x to a buddy's 5.5-22x56
- 15x is more than plenty to shoot human size targets out to 1000 meter
- Because 15x is enough out to 1000m,, it has a bigger FOV so easier to find target
- 15x is brighter despite the other scope being 56mm
- 15x you can mount the scope lower (nitpicking, and not really an issue if you have a riser and can get a good cheekweld)
- 15x looks cooler
- 15x makes your butt look nicer
- 15x is just big enough to please, if it's too big and can't fit, so you can't enjoy, whats the point?