• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS Vs Nightforce Benchrest Scopes

AIAWinAU

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Great Southern Land - Australia
Well until today I had only ever used Nightfore NXS series scopes. Have always been happy with them.

Today I fired a mates rifle during an F Class shoot. It had a Nightfore Benchrest series scope attached. Yes I am aware of all the obvious differences in these scopes, but to be honest, I was not prepared for the difference in image quality.

To my eye's the NXS series seem to be a lot clearer & the colors have more definition.

Am I the only one to notice this ?

Any input from others that have used both ?

Thanks.

Re: Nightforce NXS Vs Nightforce Benchrest Scopes

I've not noticed any appreciable difference between the two.....assuming testing like powered scopes with similar objective sizes and that each scope is properly focused for the individual, of course.

A 5.5-22X56 NSX on 22X will be brighter than a 12-42 BR series at 42X, for example.

Theoretically the BR should have a slightly better image because it uses one less lens than the NXS. This might be next to impossible for the average user to verify in the field.

In order to make a fair comparison both scopes must be perfectly focused for the individual who's comparing them. All other things must be as equal as possible, for example the magnification setting and the objective diameter must be the same.

Have read more than one comment on Benchrest Central forum that NightForce glass can be hit/miss, with some production being noticeably preferable to others.

I cannot tell any difference between my like powered NXS and my BR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot tell any difference between my like powered NXS and my BR. </div></div>

X2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do believe that the NF/BR scopes have much less "travel" for adjustments than the NXS scopes do.
Respectfully,
LG</div></div>

I don't know if you can really call it "much" less. Perhaps the 15MOA elevation difference between the 8-32 models might be considered in that category by some
smile.gif

8-32x56 NXS - E=65MOA, W=45MOA
8-32x56 BR - E=50MOA, W=50MOA

12-42x56NXS - E=45MOA, W=35MOA
12-42x56BR - E=40MOA, W=40MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot tell any difference between my like powered NXS and my BR. </div></div>

Sorry to dredge this back up, but I find the topic timely as I'm choosing between an NXS and BenchRest scope. In a 2009 Shot Show video, Nightforce Sales Manager Kyle Brown says that the image quality and optics on both models are equal. I am sold on the NightForce name, quality, and commitment, BUT...

With the NXS' side focus, an additional lens group is needed in the image path with mechanics necessary to adjust parallax. That additional glass with imperfections (a certain possibility) coupled with a plausible chance for misalignment that comes from the focus mechanism could contribute to distortion.

The adjustable objective on the Benchrest model "should" be clearer simply because there is less glass between the the shooter's eye and target.

Being an engineer, it should come down to simple physics. Less is better so how can they be equal?

All I know this past summer I have been looking through NF, S&B, March and Sightron, USO's to name a few scopes. I own 2 NSX-5.5-22x56 one npr2 which I use on a 6br for 600yd F-open and a AICS-308 mildot which I use for F-TR or when I tried tactical matches.
I am looking to buy a 12-42x56 br for a F-open rifle I am getting, and having looked through about 10 different ones and about 8 NSX of the same power. I have seen no difference in clarity, and I have looked through them in the early morn and between noon till 5pm. I have seen no difference. Sunny, cloudy high mirage etc.
Now are the NSX more durable then a BR? I do not know. Mine is going to be set for 1000yd shooting on a 6.5x284 and left there. Then I am taking my Luppy long range target off my Savage F-open and putting it on the 6BR because of the extra magnification.

I wish Sightron made 1/8 moa clicks because the ones I looked through were very nice but my main reason for the BR is the 1/8moa.
If you want to look through a scope that makes you feel like your nose is on the Target the March 10-60x56 was amazing and at F-Nationals at Butner all his scopes were set on a tripod to look through and I looked through some on rifles also.

Still for the money and depending what your going to do the NF-BR scopes is a very good deal and with a 20 moa base depending where you start with a 100 yd zero there should be enough to get out to 1K without having the erector to the upper regions of the dial.

Schwazche is this the video you were talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yyTDUY9Nz4

I understand your thought process and knowing engineers I also see where it's coming from but if the scopes are made right you won't have any problems with that extra lens. NF scopes are made that way and go through a good QC so chances are less likely of the extra lens being a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schwazche is this the video you were talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yyTDUY9Nz4

I understand your thought process and knowing engineers I also see where it's coming from but if the scopes are made right you won't have any problems with that extra lens. NF scopes are made that way and go through a good QC so chances are less likely of the extra lens being a problem. </div></div>

Yes Sir, that's the one. After talking with guys at the range and gleaning all I could from the incredible brain-trust here on snipershide, I've pretty much made my mind up to purchase a NF. It was when I started pricing and comparing them that I began to question things. It's the way the Good Lord made me.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edpmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own 2 NSX-5.5-22x56 one npr2 which I use on a 6br for 600yd F-open and a AICS-308 mildot which I use for F-TR or when I tried tactical matches. I have seen no difference in clarity, and I have looked through them in the early morn and between noon till 5pm. I have seen no difference. Sunny, cloudy high mirage etc.
</div></div>

Great information edpmedic,

It sounds more like the BR would be the scope for me. Of course, with that being said, I just bought a "lightly used" 5.5-22x56 off ebay (fingers crossed) so I'm definitely going the NXS route to begin with.

Thank you for your insight Sir.

You will like the 5.5-22 alot. I recently got one myself and it's very clear and bright.

Glad I was able to help and you should have no problems with the used on has long as it was taken care of in a proper way. I did just order a S&B PMII for the 338 LM I am having built.
Will most likely use it on the TRG22 till the rifle gets finished and then move my NF with mildot onto the TRG.
Then by this summer I will buy a 12-42 BR for the 6.5x284 that John Hoover at Accuracy one is having built for my F-open rifle.

I am really debating on that March 10-60 one also and just would like to have some more time behind the glass to understand how the eye relief will work. If anyone has it and could help me out I would be grateful

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will like the 5.5-22 alot. I recently got one myself and it's very clear and bright. </div></div>

I rather excited about this since all I've ever owned in the past have been Simmons, Burris and an older Nikon. Now I've got to get 30mm rings or a mount. More to research.... Couldn't be happier! Thanks Rob01

I've owned the NXS & BR, in both 8-32x56 and 12-42x56; my eyes preferred the benchrest. Sometime ago, I ask the question of Nightforce and was told that my old eyes just might be picking up the extra lens in a side by side comparison. However, I think the NXS is a stronger scope for the intended use, while the BR, as it's name says, does a better job of the two seeing little holes at greater distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned the NXS & BR, in both 8-32x56 and 12-42x56; my eyes preferred the benchrest. Sometime ago, I ask the question of Nightforce and was told that my old eyes just might be picking up the extra lens in a side by side comparison. However, I think the NXS is a stronger scope for the intended use, while the BR, as it's name says, does a better job of the two seeing little holes at greater distances. </div></div>

Thanks for the response dropd57. I'm intrigued as to how you compare the 8-32 to the 12-42. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a BR 12-42X56 when my NXS deal came through. Does the additional 10X at the top end make it the scope of choice for 500 yds? Any advantage of the 8-32 over it's bigger brother Sir?

Schwazche I wouldn't worry about your choice. The 5.5-22 will be more than enough power to shoot 500 yards. I have used one to shoot to 2000 yards on a 408 CheyTac and only had that one on 18x. No problems seeing and hitting the target.

I can only speak for 300 yards sad to say. I liked the 12-42x56 BR on my 6.5x55 bench gun. At that distance, I could see everything. However, the 8-32x56 BR which I sold for the 12-42x56 wasn't all that much of a disadvantage @ 300. As far as the 12-42x56 NXS, it was over kill on my AR10. The 8-32x56 NXS ended up on my AR10 for a number of years before I up graded my glass to Zeiss. My 8-32x56 NXS now rides on top of my AR15's for testing ammo & rifle accuracy.
100_0085-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only speak for 300 yards sad to say. I liked the 12-42x56 BR on my 6.5x55 bench gun. At that distance, I could see everything. However, the 8-32x56 BR which I sold for the 12-42x56 wasn't all that much of a disadvantage @ 300. As far as the 12-42x56 NXS, it was over kill on my AR10. The 8-32x56 NXS ended up on my AR10 for a number of years before I up graded my glass to Zeiss. My 8-32x56 NXS now rides on top of my AR15's for testing ammo & rifle accuracy.
100_0085-1.jpg
</div></div>

Beautiful...May I ask what rings you have on the AR? It looks as though I'm going to need that much height on my Colt CR6724 to maintain enough space for that 56mm bell.

Thanks, the rings are Nightforce extra high.

OOOOO who's TRG is that sitting there....Do you know if it is 308 or 338LM...Cant wait for a base for mine. Thought it would be here today so I could throw my NF-NSX on it and try it out...

The TRG22 is mine; what a fantastic out of the box rifle. You will be very happy with yours.

The comparison between the NXS and the BR aside, how much clearer/brighter would you say the NF scopes are when compared to the 8-32 and 10-50 Sightron SIII scopes?

I ask because I have a 8-32x NF BR coming here on monday and I might like to send it back to put the approximate $400 savings towards a stock if the Sightrons are an acceptable quality. I know the NF is supposed to be "better" but how much better exactly?

All I read about the Sightrons is people saying how great they are, and the same about NF but where do you draw the line with the quality?

Hard to quantify "brand X vs brand Y" but I have owned nikon, leupold, sightron, bushnell, simmons (hehe), and nightforce and have pretty much decided to stop screwing around and am moving to "all nightforce". I know there are lots of different "classes" of product from many vendors and I'm not sure which of each I had, but everything except NF left me feeling unsettled for some reason. E.g., my latest NF has the zero stop, so I had to take the turret off to set that, giving me a look at the "under turret" guts. On all other scopes I've looked at in such a fashion, there's been something that just looked cheap or felt doomed to slip/break etc. etc but not so with the NF. Optics, build, mil/mil reticles/turrets and zero stop... I'm in love.

Lastly, I owned only one sightron SII a few years ago. The glass was pretty fuzzy (fixed 32 or 36 power, I think) and not too bright. The parallax adjustment felt sloppy and wouldn't "focus" to infinity. I ended up sending it to their support address to have them look at it and the discovery was that it had 'something' wrong with it along with EVERY other one they had on hand there. I played hell for some number of months and finally just pleaded for my money back. That was the last lesson I could stand... NF henceforth.

Schwazche,

I have an 8-32 BR off right now (rifle sent off for barrel).

If you want to look through it and compare with your new NXS, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.