• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Questions

USAF SP

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Western Washington
Looking for a little help from folks who have experience with Nightforce scopes.

I am getting into Benchrest shooting and have been shooting in 600 yd matches and plan on continuing at this distance and shooting at further distances. I would also like to shoot in some F/TR matches. I have a lot of experience with Leupold scopes (work, hunting, distance shooting) and trust them but I want a higher power adjustable scope than what they have to offer. I plan on getting a Nightforce BR 12-42 with a NP-2DD riticule.

Two questions
- Will I regret not stepping up to the NXS model? I understand the price difference and am a firm believer of paying once and crying once.

- The NP-2DD reticule appears to be a great reticule for benchrest shooting. Will it cause me issues in F/TR shoots? Again, primary purpose is benchrest. F/TR will be secondary.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hog

Re: Nightforce Questions

For BR shooting and some field tactical you wont notice too much of a difference from the BR to NXS model. The NXS 12-42 only has 5 moa more internal adjustment, which for 1000 BR, you dont need to worry about, but it MIGHT help in FT. Eye relief is a littl emore generous in the NXS, but thats about it. Personal call if you prefer the AO, on the BR model, or the side focus, on teh NXS models, though. I tend to prefer SF so I can adjust on the fly while keeping my eye behind the glass....personal preference though.

As for reticles, the NP-2DD is great for BR, but not so much for FT. If mostly 1000 BR shooting it is a great choice and recommended. I like the NP-R2, great for everything and you can certainly use it in BR, but it isnt the most preferred.

Trevor B.