• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Reticles

pac-nor338

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
Brookings OR
I was looking into buying a nightforce 5.5-22-56 NXS for my .338 LM. Which reticle would be the best for long range shooting. The NP-R1 reticle looked good but ive never owened a NF. Any suggestions??

Re: Nightforce Reticles

My advice would be to find a Nightforce dealer and look out the window thru a couple of different ones. I know that dosen't help much but what they look like on the NF website and what they look like in real life can be different for different eyes.
When you're going to spend that much money choose carefully. Yes, if you don't like it Nightforce will change it but it will cost you $200 bucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pac-nor338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking into buying a nightforce 5.5-22-56 NXS for my .338 LM. Which reticle would be the best for long range shooting. The NP-R1 reticle looked good but ive never owened a NF. Any suggestions?? </div></div>

use the search function. keyword = "best reticle"

This has been discussed many times before. Set the search range to "newer than one year"

mine sports the MLR, I have used some the others with no problems but it is up to the user and what you are really looking to do with it.

I like MLR with milradian knobs.If you like moa rather than mil I like the NP-R1.Depends on what you want moa/moa or mil/mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mildots are a thing of the past.</div></div>

That turns out not to be the case. I own scopes with both the mildots and the MLR. Mildots are better in low-light visibility conditions than a reticle with just hashmarks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mildots are a thing of the past.</div></div>

That turns out not to be the case. I own scopes with both the mildots and the MLR. Mildots are better in low-light visibility conditions than a reticle with just hashmarks.
</div></div>

+1 on mildots better for low light conditions

Actually NXS= Illuminated reticle, NF makes them without Ill.
I stand corrected. well I was once wrong in 1989 as well so.......

Mike

Mildots are very effective if used properly. Or I should say understood.

i have a mil dot in my schmidt and bender and i have a np-r1 in my night force. Having used both, I have found that ranging is more precise with the np-r1. the mil dot is great tho, dont get me wrong,but just not as accurate as the np-r1. the only thing i like better about the mil dot is there is less stuff to get in the way when you are not trying to range soemthing.

Hello pac-nor338

Without question the NPR1 reticle is the overwhelming favorite of our Nightforce customers, and in particular to those wanting to shoot longer distances. The NPR1 reticle is mounted in the second image focal plane, its non magnifying, and as such covers an smaller and smaller amount of the target as the magnification is increased. Many people like this as they feel they can shoot more precisely at those long distance targets. Some have also said that the 1 MOA tick marks allow for easier distance estimation when the reticle is used as a range finder. I shoot the NPR2 on my favorite long distance deer hunting rifle and its killer. The NPR1 is just more in the way of reference marks so if you don't think is visually "too busy" then this may be the option for you.

One thing to keep in mind, Nightforce Reticles are fairly thin by most standards and in very low light situations you will find it necessary to turn the illumination system on because the reticle without it is going to wash out. However all NF scopes are standard with illumination, all of them. This feature solves the problem nicely. However if you don't want to be bothered with the illumination for some reason you may indeed want to consider the Mil Dot. The thickness of the lines, reticle subtension, is considerably greater with the mil dot and it naturally performs better in low light when the illumination is not turned on.

If you want to discuses any NF reticle or scope our store is a large dealer for this company, and I know their products well. I would be glad to help you. 8-5 CST.

Chris
SportOptics.com
985-340-2988