• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce SHV?

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I came across an article last night giving this new Nightforce some very high praise. Has anyone on here gotten a chance to play with one? I am looking at one for my 7mm08 hunting rifle, and possibly thinking the one with the MOAR reticle would be a good beginner scope to learn LR shooting? I think the key question to ask you guys is would the SHV with MOAR reticle be a good scope to learn on in the sub $1200 price range?

There is another updated recent thread with some more details but it has the same glass as the nxs line but it's not built like a tank like the nxs. It's still a pretty solid scope and alot tougher than a pst. I handled one the other day and it was a lot better built than I thought it would be and it looked well worth the money if you want a solid scope with capped turrets and just use the reticle. If you're not looking at quite those specs I'd find an older non high speed non zero stop nxs. They usually sell somewhere near 11-1200.

We have them in stock. We will meet or beat anyone's price on them.

I'm a really big fan of them if they were in MRAD I would pick one up today!

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

We have them in stock. We will meet or beat anyone's price on them.

I'm a really big fan of them if they were in MRAD I would pick one up today!

Mike @ CSTACTICAL
    Agreed and would love to run the 4.5-14x56 on my Anschutz rimfires. I get it that most hunters, the target market for these scopes, run moa because they think moa is inches. Whatever. I'm hoping they get enough of a following that they expand the tooling and options to add a mil option to them.

That and I hope they add the MIL-R reticle to the 3-15x F1 line or release to the public that kick ass compact 4-16x42 that was leaked. Waiting for another SHOT Show...

OP, a friend just put a new NXS Compact 2.5x10x 42 on his hunting rifle. It was a very impressive for a typical hunting size scope.

Have not seen a SHV in hand, so cannot offer a comparison between the two.

If the goal is mostly target shooting, as bkw notes, picking up a used NXS 5.5x22 is hard to beat, especially at the prices they are going for at the moment with folks upgrading to the newer models.

I got to use one yesterday. They are bright, clear, and function well. I like the illumination/parallax knob on them also. The only drawback to me is the size. They are BIG. For the money though, it seemed like an excellent hunting scope.

I have the SHV and use it on a 6.5 Creed target/varmint rifle.

Love the scope and the price point is nice.

I don't think I'd hunt with it as it is a big and heavy scope. Much more than I normally use. It did well in the prairie dog fields on the 6.5 for some of the longer shooting I did. I can highly recommend it if it fits your potential needs.

Now if it was built with a 40-42mm objective, I'd strongly consider it on a hunting rifle.

I run 3 of the 2.5-10x42 NF with the same MOAR reticle on my hunting rigs and LOVE them. They have been hunting all around the US including an Alaskan Arctic riz hunt and to New Zealand. It is my favorite hunting scope now.

The 3-15x42 would be another I'd really consider for a longer range hunting scope if that one ever comes to the market.

Other than a couple S&B 3-12x42 scopes I have on hunting rifles, NF has kinda taken over my rifles. Especially those I tramp around the world chasing game with.

Have you compared the SHV 4.5-14x56mm to the 2.5-10x42 you have at dusk? I'm wondering just how much better performance it has in the dim light with that fat objective, and if it would be worth the weight. I'm considering both on a 17HMR Anschutz I have, mostly to be used on squirrels including right at dusk time so being able to peer into the treeline shadows is important to me but I am hesitant on making it a top heavy rifle too. Being overseas hampers my ability to really get hands on with them, but that's the exact two I'm down to in my decision going IHR reticle either way I go so I appreciate any insight you may be able to give.

The 56mm objective is what kept me away from this scope. I think they failed us in the hunting arena because of it. Varminters probably won't care. I got a Leupy VX6 2-12 X42 instead.

I got a chance to look through both the 5-20 and 4-14 this weekend and I was very impressed.

For the money its hard to beat for a good hunting scope with features it offers. Glass is the same as the NSX, the Moar is a nice reticle.

As far as the 56mm obj, once you put it on a gun I didn't think the scope looked big or felt out of place, plus with the cross bolt in most rings you aren't loosing anything as far as getting the scope lower as the 56mm will clear most hunting and sender barrels with the lowest rings.

I was on the fence but feel its a great scope.

I came across an article last night giving this new Nightforce some very high praise. Has anyone on here gotten a chance to play with one? I am looking at one for my 7mm08 hunting rifle, and possibly thinking the one with the MOAR reticle would be a good beginner scope to learn LR shooting? I think the key question to ask you guys is would the SHV with MOAR reticle be a good scope to learn on in the sub $1200 price range?

I'm not sure which review you happened to read, but here is one I did on the SHV: Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review

In short, I really like the scope.

Geb

had a chance to look at one at cabelas also a nxs the glass quality looked better in the shv the reticle looked sharper too.but did`nt buy either bought a atacr from another hyde member.

had a chance to look at one at cabelas also a nxs the glass quality looked better in the shv the reticle looked sharper too.but did`nt buy either bought a atacr from another hyde member.
    Did you properly adjust the focus on a stable platform?

Glad you got the ATACR, but a gun shop eval of a scope is like doing your test drive of a new car in the parking lot.

Just got an SHV for my Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD. It's wearing a Bell & Carlson hunting stock right now, and for what I'm looking to use it for, the SHV fits just great. I want to be able to hunt in very low light, so the large objective and lit center reticle are ideal, and I also want to be able to shoot to 800-900 yards for target shooting, and 500-600 yards for hunting deer, bear, wolves, and coyotes. The SHV, with the caps taken off, functions just like most of the other NF line and similar scopes, and with the caps on, just like one of my other hunting scopes. It's a beautiful scope and functions beautifully. For the purpose NF intended, I think it's a great combination of features and function.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just got an shv 6-20 today, I put it on a 300 win mag glass quality is below the 5.5-22 or the atacr but it was still really nice. Was able to see very well in dusk conditions, it also tracked great. I give it a 9.2/10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk