• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce vs Kahles

b34m3r300

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2020
Any thoughts about the ruggedness of a Nightforce versus a Kahles? I'm considering the ATACR 5-25x56 F1 and the K525i both with the Tremor3 reticle. I know that the military uses Nightforce, but can a Kahles get banged around and still hold up? Any particular likes or dislikes about either? I noticed that the windage is capped on the ATACR.

Have a 318i on a hunting rifle. Rifle got dropped and the scope took a pretty good hit on some rocky ground. Didnt seem to hurt anything and it was still zeroed and good to go. Nightforce light weight rings. Havent banged my 525 around but im sure it would be ok. I say pick which one you like better and you cant go wrong with either.

Happy shooting.

Any thoughts about the ruggedness of a Nightforce versus a Kahles? I'm considering the ATACR 5-25x56 F1 and the K525i both with the Tremor3 reticle. I know that the military uses Nightforce, but can a Kahles get banged around and still hold up? Any particular likes or dislikes about either? I noticed that the windage is capped on the ATACR.

I'd be happy to discuss both of those options with you, give us a call at 916-670-1103 :)

ATACR is not the same ruggedness of the older sealed NXS. Any of the premium optics out there today should be able to stand up to anything short of jumping and diving.

There's a well Known PRS shooter named Phillip . I asked him about his experience with the Kahles. He stated it's been through lots of rough use in classes, training and the PRS schedule without failure or issues. I bought one. The K525i SKMR3 - although I don't have anything near the level of activity he has, my Kahles has been pretty solid in the past year I've had it. Lots of barricade work. Buy with confidence....

Just be aware that 34mm tubes are a pain to mount. They are big scopes.
1592399076936.gif

I've got a 525i and I'm not gentle with it - though I've only had it a year or so. I know several others that have run Kahles for years and are still thrilled with them.
You'd probably be ok with either option

Have x2 skmr3 6-24
I have not had a single problem with them. I am very hard on gear, I toss them in and out of trucks and lean them on crap I shouldn't and drop them and bump them. The glass was pretty good but not the bomb! Controls were harder to adjust to. Reticle was my favorite for a bit.

They are kind of retired now as I fell in love with the ebr7c from vortex after sitting down with one so now also have 3 of those.

Unfortunately as soon as the new zco drops I may go that way.

ATACR is not the same ruggedness of the older sealed NXS. Any of the premium optics out there today should be able to stand up to anything short of jumping and diving.
? The mil spec NXS is the only one that was sealed. Mil spec /= commercial NXS

I’m in the middle of making the same decision. Toughest decision I’ve tried to make on my build so far

I preferred the Kahles 624i over the ATACR 5-25 in every possible way, but I currently run a NF ATACR 4-16 because it fit my use cases better. In other words: you can't go wrong with either brand.

Reticle, Weight, Length. That is all you really need to consider at this tier, assuming the company is stable.

Last edited:
I’ve dropped my Kahles before with my rifle and it took no damage or any scratches quite a strong optic but I would consider the nightforce it has a better field of view and and through my eyes a slight advantage in the glass department

Reactions: deersniper
And you might not like the parallax being by the turrent I thought I would like it but not so much if you are shooting prs it works well but for normal Lr shooting it isn’t as nice as a side parallax

What? I've heard that the ATACR is supposed to be every bit as tough as the older NXS. Where does this idea that the ATACR does not have the same ruggedness come from?

Reactions: deersniper
There isn’t one with a bullet hole in it.
I mean yeah that’s impressive but it still doesn’t answer the question: how do you know the ATACR is not as tough as the NXS?