• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce vs Leupold

B3dlam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Kodiak, AK
Alright so I am ordering a 6.5 Creedmoor DPMS Rifle next week or the week after courtesy of the IRS and have been at optics for it and wanted some opinions.

The two scopes I am looking at currently are a
Leupold Mark 4 ER or LR 6.5-20 which prodeals for 950-1150 (LR/ER)

Or

Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS for around 1950 (zero stop)

Now I understand the nightforce makes better glass but is it going to be wasted on this rifle platform? I just want to make sure if I am dropping an extra 600~ on a scope that it will be well worth it on this rifle.

Re: Nightforce vs Leupold

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot 1st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are your intended purposes for the rifle?</div></div>

This isnt a work gun just a fun gun I would like to be able to push out to and perhaps beyond 1000 yards on occasion and will likely be utilizing it in at least a few 'tacitcal sniper' style competitve shooting matches.

I have all leupold scopes on all my hunting rifles with the exeption of one NF and then I have two NF that are on long range setups and if i could change them all to NF i would. But there is nothing wrong with a leupold scope.

The 1st NF i bought was a 8-32 so leupold doesnt have anything like that and well the next NF was bought just for the purpose to add a BORS system and well even though you can use a leupold i was able to find a used NF quicker on here than a leupold. Hell i eneded up looking for one extra NF and ended up buying two, go figure.

Everyone will prob disagree, but if I were planning to do comps like you mentioned in your earlier post, I'd go with the ER/T Leupold. The FFP on this would be a nice addition and would pay off IMHO. I have the NSX with ZS and it's a very nice scope, I also have the auto-locking 6.5-20 34mm with ZS leupold, it too is a very nice scope and may be about the same price as the NSX on "prodeals". They both will do what you want.

You can't go wrong with either one. I have two of each of them.

If your doing f-class or something like that I would use the nightforce.

However I still think the glass is better in the Leupold.

KT

FWIW I own both but drug a loopy through the desert for many months. When it's my life, Leupold. Their durability is without question in my mind. At the range, both are good and Nightforces reside on my higher end builds. in the occurrance of SHTF scenerio, the 10fp with Mark 4 will be the one I grab.

I had two NF installed on rifles before I ever tried a Leupold. I didn't think I would be as impressed as I am with the Leupold after having used the NF as much as I did, but it's great class. Just wish it was illuminated like my NF's. My wife was so impressed with it, she stole that rifle for herself, so now I have to go get my own. Having said that, I'm getting ready to buy another NF.

I prefer NF over Leupold. I've sold off quite a few of my Leupolds and gone with NF. However, with the Mark 6 coming out, that may change.

Glass quality to my eye is about the same, granted I only have had a mk4 3.5-10 to compare to my night forces. Every other aspect besides weight the nightforce was heads and shoulders above.

Buy a used NF for 1200-1500 and be done with it.

I love Nightforce scopes, NF puts out some of the most reliable scopes on the market. With that said I have been seeing great improvements in Leupold Tactical line. The new mark 6 and mark 8 line look very well thought out and built. 

Mike @ CST

I have both and like them equally, they are pretty even in glass quality until extreme low light situations.

They are both great glass. I buy Leupolds because a like them and a can get a good discount on them. I would like to try a NF. They also give discount, however, you can get them for the same price from the dealers on the hide. If I was going to use it in comp I would conder the FFP M5 or if I was planning to just have fun and owned several Leupolds, I may try the NF if they are in the same price range. Get what you like. Both are great.

I don't own the leupold, but I've looked through a few at the range. I do own the NF 5.5-22 NXS and love it. I've never regretted buying it. Zero stop is also very hand to have. PM me though because 1950 is too high. I know a few places that sell them for a few hundred less.

Ok, I own MANY Mark 4's and 2 NF's that are 5.5-22x50 with high speed and zero stop. Leupold's are fine. I shoot to 1350 yards with a Mark 4. It will go farther than that but that is the maximum range of my rangefinder. That being said, it will do the job.

Now, the Nightforce is a better scope. I shoot in MOA. The reticle and knobs are also MOA. It is a PITA shooting the Mark 4 with TMR long range because you are using MOA turrets and a mil reticle. If you don't completely understand this post. Use the Leupold and buy more ammo to practice. That being said, all my Mark 4's are being upgraded to NF.

Leupy glass is warmer and not so blue and I like that. I do find the NF scopes offer slightly better resolution, but not a great deal.

I buy NF for the internals not the optics.

The Leupold is in a similar class optics wise, but the turrets are very much second place and eventually seem to fail. Leupold will look after you, but it is something to consider.
Also the side parallax on the Leupold is not lash free. Try it for yourselves and you will see.

Finally there is the turret calibration...1/4 MOA may not be 1/4MOA, not a huge deal, but it is something to be aware of as it really adds up at the upper limits of the scope.

Nightforce has none of these issues.

Another vote for NF. Although Leupold is not a bad optic. I run several of them on my hunting rigs. The turret tracking can be a concern for cranking in long range dope IMHO in Leupolds.

Mike at one time weren't you doing a review of the "Mk 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm M5 34mm Locking"? Sorry if I'm mistaken, I thought I remembered you mentioning that around the time LL was posting about the one he was going to review also.

FFP is about $400-$500 more on the NF...but you get zero stop. I would really like a Mark 4 ER/T M5 but can't afford it right now.

Two years ago i would've said NF, today i say wait to see how the Mark 6s are priced then go from there. Leupold has made large strides to regain a position in the tactical market and according to most if not all reviews they're doing it very convincingly.

I loved my Mark 4's. Sold my 8.5-25 and upgraded to a NF...It's just a better piece of equipment overall. I even had a IOR 6-24 for a while, but this Nightforce beats that scope hands down. You can say the NF spoiled me.