• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon BDC question.

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    OK I have a quick question about the BDC. It says on Magnums to sight in a 200 yards. So would it still be on at a 100 yards to or just 200?

Re: Nikon BDC question.

It will be "on" in terms of shooting any game. You can test it. Probably be an inch or two different at 100 than 200.
    Real World: sight in any Magnum .277- .33 three inches high at 100 and your point blank range on big game will be 275-325 yards.

Ok thanks that's kind of what I thought. Do they make any BDC for magnums to be sited in at 100 yards?

Another quick question. I see Bushnell makes one too. For 7mm it only recommends it for a 150 gr bullet. But for the 300 win mag you can use a 180 gr bullet. So my question is if I match the feet per second for my load on my 7 Mag with a 168 gr bullet will the recital still work as it should?

Your not going to find alot of input on this here I suspect.As mentioned above zero 2.5-3 inches high at 100yds.Get a scope with finger adjustable turrets.If you need to shoot beyond 300yds know your dope and dial it in.The BDC reticles cannot take into account all the variables like altitude,temp,BC,bullet weight etc.
    Chrono your load and get a print out from one of the online calculators make a chart and tape it to the side of your stock.You will be far better served then a generic BDC.IMO

I am going to use it for hunting. But sounds like a good idea. I just wanted a no brainer for hunting. I tend to get a little over excited and forget things and just wanted to be able to get a quick kill shot off for whitetail. But thanks for the info.

For quick your covered to 300 yds. Beyond that you will need to slow down and work shit out anyway.