• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nikon Black 4K vs Vortex Razor 4K vs Sig Kilo 2200

TxWelder35

WELDERAT0R
Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    Looking to get my first range finder, these 3 are all right about the same price. Can anyone give some insight in between these 3? I see lowlight has a pretty good review of the Nikon. Any reason to sway to or from each other?

I have the Nikon and love it. I’ve ranged a mile with it, but not anything farther out. I would like the sig bino range finders just to sync up with my kestrel

IMG_20191231_160811_269.jpg

That is a pic of my kilo 2200. As you can see, it can range pretty far away. Animals, not so much. I haven't tried but if you want, I can give it a go one of these days. I go just about every day to my deer lease and there is cattle in the property.

Reactions: Matt_3479
    Just get a leupold 2800. I specificly sold my sig 2200 for it. I can range a sage bush in the mile range easily in sun light.

Just get a leupold 2800. I specificly sold my sig 2200 for it. I can range a sage bush in the mile range easily in sun light.
    What made you want to get rid of the sig? What does the Leupold do better? In my experience Leupold products usually under perform compared to the competition

What made you want to get rid of the sig? What does the Leupold do better? In my experience Leupold products usually under perform compared to the competition
    I’d normally agree with you. I’m not a lupy fan. However, to your question, I don’t need a building to be able to range 2000 yards. That’s what the 2800 does better. Steel gong at 2000, no problem. Deer at 1600 no problem. I got rid of my kilo 2200 because I wanted to be able to range realistic targets at these ranges. Not all of us get an entire warehouse to range in the areas we shoot.

Reactions: lawofsavage
    I’d normally agree with you. I’m not a lupy fan. However, to your question, I don’t need a building to be able to range 2000 yards. That’s what the 2800 does better. Steel gong at 2000, no problem. Deer at 1600 no problem. I got rid of my kilo 2200 because I wanted to be able to range realistic targets at these ranges. Not all of us get an entire warehouse to range in the areas we shoot.
    Good info. I’ll Reluctantly give the lupy a look. Look like opticsplanet have a good sale on em right now

Wait until after shot show just in case something good comes out. I'd stay away from Nikon as they dumped their warranty on the rifle scopes. I'm not sure what policy Nikon has on their rangefinder but I've lost confidence in them after they said suck it to the nikon scope buyers.

Good info. I’ll Reluctantly give the lupy a look. Look like opticsplanet have a good sale on em right now

look on here for other threads about it, and reviews around the Internet. You won’t find to much realistically bad reviews on it that particular model.

Wait until after shot show just in case something good comes out. I'd stay away from Nikon as they dumped their warranty on the rifle scopes. I'm not sure what policy Nikon has on their rangefinder but I've lost confidence in them after they said suck it to the nikon scope buyers.
    They did not “dump their warranty”....
    You could not be more wrong. Nikon stopped making scopes and very clearly stated they would continue to honor the warranty on the scopes.

Reactions: DIBBS and wilsoN_
    I could have worded it better than dumping for the noobs. They went from no fault warranty to limited lifetime. If your ok with this than go for it, but why would you when you can choose companies that have your back. Only reason is if the price is significantly lower.

I could have worded it better than dumping for the noobs. They went from no fault warranty to limited lifetime. If your ok with this than go for it, but why would you when you can choose companies that have your back. Only reason is if the price is significantly lower.
    Ok, I agree there. I did buy a 6-24 black fx1000 a few weeks back. I had used this same scope a year ago and its decent, not on par with a gen 2 razor of course, but I paid 799 then and like 450 for it now.. I couldnt pass it up. The glass is stupid clear. I just hope I dont have any issues with it lol.

My main optic company has switched over from Vortex to Tract. I love my prs30mm toric.

I replaced my Sig Kilo 2k with the Nikon 4k. They both perform about the same. With the 4k if the conditions are perfect i have ranged a steel plate at 2200 yards but on average Id say its good on steel out to 1200- 1400. Ive never ranged animals with it so I have no info there.

Reactions: stello1001
    I replaced my Sig Kilo 2k with the Nikon 4k. They both perform about the same. With the 4k if the conditions are perfect i have ranged a steel plate at 2200 yards but on average Id say its good on steel out to 1200- 1400. Ive never ranged animals with it so I have no info there.

What size steel are you ranging out that far and what kind of finish on them?

I had a similar dilemma, and someone pointed me to this youtube video comparision below. And yes, i did go with the RX-2800 and its been nothing short of awesome.

Ordered the Lupy. Hope you guys didn’t steer me wrong! Lol

That video sold me

Ordered the Lupy. Hope you guys didn’t steer me wrong! Lol

That video sold me
    I have one.
    Mile is easy peasy.
    I ranged a large stump and steel at 1950 the other day and get trees a 2000+ regularly.

I ranged some elk about a week ago at 1820 yards across a valley.

I’m nothing but happy with it.

I have one.
    Mile is easy peasy.
    I ranged a large stump and steel at 1950 the other day and get trees a 2000+ regularly.

I ranged some elk about a week ago at 1820 yards across a valley.

I’m nothing but happy with it.

Awesome. That’s further than I ever plan on using mine so it should never give me problems for my uses.

I know this isn’t the area this forum uses stuff but I will be using it for bow hunting also. It accurate up close? I know some rangefinders have an archery mode

Awesome. That’s further than I ever plan on using mine so it should never give me problems for my uses.

I know this isn’t the area this forum uses stuff but I will be using it for bow hunting also. It accurate up close? I know some rangefinders have an archery mode

I’ve compared it to a lecia and sig my co workers use at the shop.
    In they’re always within one meter.

It’s for sure is a easy mile range finder, off hand, no tripod.
    Um I’ll go check now for you but there’s no archery mode per say. It the mag might get in way depending how close we are talking trying to range things.
    About 5.6 yards is about the closest I get.

It’s for sure is a easy mile range finder, off hand, no tripod.
    Um I’ll go check now for you but there’s no archery mode per say. It the mag might get in way depending how close we are talking trying to range things.
    About 5.6 yards is about the closest I get.
    Thank you for the info. 15 yards would probably be the closest I would use it. Thank you for checking for me!

Reactions: Matches Malone
    I have messed with black 4 by nikon. Ive ranged on some animals out to 600 yards nothing past that as i dont see many animals past that.

What size steel are you ranging out that far and what kind of finish on them?
    2 moa targets at 1200 and 1400 yards. either painted or bare metal. It really depends on conditions, in direct bright sun the 1400 tard target wouldnt range. If its in the shade it ranges everytime.

Played with all these except the sig at cabelas the other day. The Nikon felt like a cheap abs plastic unit. Lupy and vortex both felt good. The lupy felt noticeably faster picking up ranges

Played with my lupy 2800 some more today, got it to range barren trees/ground at 1k, got a flying airplane at 1650, and a car at 2552. Looking forward to trying it out on animals

Just received my Nikon 4K; Woot had it on sale for $219 ( hard to pass up)
    My previous rangefinder is a Leica Rangemaster 900
    Played with the Nikon; ranged a high power tower at 1400 yards, a building at 2400, different hills at 1600+ will test it more over the weekend.
    Made in China. Expected at least the Philippines. Compact (compared to Leica); simple to use, wish it had a 1/4-20 tripod mount or Arca.
    CR-2 battery ,rare compared to the ubiquitous 9V of the Leica.

Just received my Nikon 4K; Woot had it on sale for $219 ( hard to pass up)
    My previous rangefinder is a Leica Rangemaster 900
    Played with the Nikon; ranged a high power tower at 1400 yards, a building at 2400, different hills at 1600+ will test it more over the weekend.
    Made in China. Expected at least the Philippines. Compact (compared to Leica); simple to use, wish it had a 1/4-20 tripod mount or Arca.
    CR-2 battery ,rare compared to the ubiquitous 9V of the Leica.
    $219 is deal.