• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nikon Buckmaster vs Millett Buck Gold

tjwking

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Hello all, I’m a newbie here. I’m not new to shooting but I am new to the world of long range shooting. I’ve been lurking around reading and trying to see what is needed. I’m currently shooting a Remington LTR .223. My wife want to get me a new scope for X-mas. I have been looking at a couple of different scopes in our price range of around $300.00. the Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm with the mil-dot reticle and the Millett buck gold series 4-16x56mm also with the mil-dot. I need some insight on what scope would be a better buy. Both of the scopes are in our price range. I have searched on here and haven’t found to much info about millett scopes. Like I said we are on a limited budget and want to spend wisely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Craig

Re: Nikon Buckmaster vs Millett Buck Gold

My vote goes to the Nikon Buckmaster. Ive mounted that exact same scope you are considering on 2 AR15's. The glass is incredibly clear for a scope of that price. They have performed flawlessly for over 6 months and I would not hesitate to reccomend one.

hey as a millett owner i will have to, at this time at least, cast a big vote for Nikon. lol, really.

I would have to vote for Nikkon as I'm told they have somewhere around 95% or 97% light transmission. Can't remember which one.

I had both. The Nikon is still here and the Millett is gone. While not a pro, the Nikon seemed clearer to me.

Another +1 for the Buckmaster. I have one mounted on a Savage 300WM, works great, very clear. Had the Millet, not anymore.

SY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote goes to the Nikon Buckmaster. Ive mounted that exact same scope you are considering on 2 AR15's. The glass is incredibly clear for a scope of that price. They have performed flawlessly for over 6 months and I would not hesitate to reccomend one. </div></div>

Same here, both Buckmasters that I've used had very clear glass for the money and both performed great, held zero and tracked very well. The only downside (just my opinion) is the 1/8th moa adjustments on the Buckmaster.

millett is still here, they were bought by bushnell.

The Nikon is an excellent scope.
If you forego the Buck Gold and bump up a few dollars, the TRS-1 is an excellent scope and can be had for about 3 bills.
I chose the TRS-1 because it has much more adjustment capability and an illuminated reticle.

if you go that route, the TRS-1, i got mine from ebay from optics planet. it was a make an offer bid. $300 free shipping. i got my burris extreme tacticle rings from them too for $50, free shipping.

fdkay, did you see if your TRS actually had 90 MOA elevation travel? just curious. ive been ranting about all the things wrong in the manual. they say 1/8 but its 1/4 clicks, they say its 72 clicks per revolution, i count 64. so i am not sure about the 90 MOA elevation, i dont get that much travel when i checked it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so i am not sure about the 90 MOA elevation, i dont get that much travel when i checked it. </div></div>

Hey Axeman, when you get the chance, could you do us a favor and test out the turrets accuracy? (Whether turrect match POI down range) as I'm considering whether to go with millet for a built for my friend on tight budget.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acttacus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey Axeman, when you get the chance, could you do us a favor and test out the turrets accuracy? (Whether turrect match POI down range) as I'm considering whether to go with millet for a built for my friend on tight budget.

Thanks.
</div></div>

ill do anything i can to help out, but you may want fdkay to answer that. its going to be at least december 16 or later before i can buy some powder or afford rounds to sight it in. unless i sell something. its taking 6 to 8 weeks to get your unemployment started in my state. they are that far behind. but when i do i will DEFINATELY post my results. and so i get what you are asking, you want to know if the 1/4" click moves 1/4" at 100y correct?

+1 for the Buckmaster (9-18x40). I have this scope on my AR and it works great at 200yd

Axeman,
The problem with the users manual is that they are, or were using the leftovers from the previous generation of TRS-1 scopes. If you read the review on Sniper Central (can I say that here?) http://www.snipercentral.com/milletttrs.htm
All of the suggestions made were taken to heart. They just chose to continue using the old manuals.
My range only goes out to 200 yards, I haven't checked the accuracy of the clicks. I'll need to do that sometime I guess. As far as the adjustment range goes, according to Mel, it has at least 90 MOA.

I have been very pleased with my scope, but I haven't really wrung it out. I thnk they are a steal for 297 bucks (budsgunshop). I am also a big fan of the Mueller Tac-2 scope, especially for a hunting rifle.

WOW! thanks for all the helpful information guys! it seems to be pretty clear the nikon is the best buy for me. thank you all again.
Craig

Explore Optics 4-16x50MM TTMD... under $300 and an excellent scope... best value out there for what money my dealer buddy charges for them.

DK

FALCON DAMNIT!!!
a new buckmaster runs around $350...DONT get the 6-18x40 because then you have to put up with 1/8" clicks...at least get the 4-14 mil dot. The millet runs around the same. Now for the same price or maybe just a hair more you could get a FFP mil/mil setup.
I started out with a 6-18x40 buckmaster and just sold it. It's a good scope like everyone says but I wish I would have known about the Falcon line before i started.

if you're dead set on one or the other....nikon...but do yourself a favor and get a falcon.

has Falcon fixed there issues with glass clarity yet. I dont think there website is even opperational right now.

Ive looked hard at falcon but from the problems from the last few months has me thinking I need to go somewhere else. not saying there a bad company there just having a few major problems right now.

howdy

Do not own a millet, but have experience with the Nikon scopes. For that kind of money you will not be disappointed with the Nikon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Axeman,
The problem with the users manual is that they are, or were using the leftovers from the previous generation of TRS-1 scopes. If you read the review on Sniper Central (can I say that here?) http://www.snipercentral.com/milletttrs.htm
All of the suggestions made were taken to heart. They just chose to continue using the old manuals.
My range only goes out to 200 yards, I haven't checked the accuracy of the clicks. I'll need to do that sometime I guess. As far as the adjustment range goes, according to Mel, it has at least 90 MOA.

I have been very pleased with my scope, but I haven't really wrung it out. I thnk they are a steal for 297 bucks (budsgunshop). I am also a big fan of the Mueller Tac-2 scope, especially for a hunting rifle. </div></div>

well i bore sighted it, but i didnt check elevation travel. last time the windage wasnt centered and that may have affected elevation travel. now check my math on this. the dial is marked 0...|...2...|...4 all the way to 14...|...0 and back to zero. thats 16 moa per complete turn of the turret. so that one revolution is 64 clicks. turning it down all the way and then to the top til it stops, i only get 66 MOA. four reveloutions plus 8 more clicks. i may be wrong, but thats not 90 MOA as claimed unless there is something i dont understand about this. i sent a PM to the guy from Millett.

is mel the guy that wrote the review article? cause in the table on the side, it says the scope only gets 65 moa

The one Mel used in that write up was a pre production unit. Its reticle was correct at 16x. there were several changes that happened before these actually hit the street. So take it with a grain of salt.

your scope has been through at least 2 upgrades. The mil/mil is the next upgrade and I dont believe there out just yet.

howdy

ok, i accept that. but the 65 moa is closer to the 66moa that i get than the claimed 90. does my math sound right? he says his tested scope has an actual 109 moa.

your math sounds right to me. But tell me did you buy this new? and what Model is it? TSR Buckgold?

brand new, TRS-1. its the buckgold line. never been anywhere but out of the box and onto the rifle, then in a bore store and into the safe. unfired rifle.

are there 8 clicks between each number on the turret?

yes, its only even numbers like i tried to represent with my crude 0...|...2...|...4 from 0 its 4 clicks to | and 8 clicks to the number 2 = 1/4 moa

then your math is about right. I would send it back for a refund or for a mil/mil version if they have them. If it had over 80 moa up id be more inclined to say keep it. Sounds like you got a bad deal. i know there pretty decent scopes for the money, but they also have some final inspection issues.

Id Send It Back. But thats just me. If I pay for something it better damn well come to me as advertised or very close too it.

howdy

I just checked my TRS-1. I get just shy of 6 complete revolutions, that puts you over 80 moa (5 complete=80).

Of course, i lost my zero in the process because I hadn't zero'ed out my turrest, tried to do it before checking revolutioms and screwed it up.

well thats better than mine, but still short of the promised 90. still your ahead of me though. if i take it off, i will be getting a 20 moa base at the same time. id like to hear from any other TRS-1 owners. any old school computer guys out there? remember the last thing you heard of called a TRS?

well i just got some great news. it looks like im going to be able to up up my budget to 600.00 now. im pretty sure im going to get a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 with the mil-dot. ive been trying to find out if the viper has FFP or a SFP. do any of you guys have any information on this?
thanks
Craig

is there a better choice than the vortex in the 600.00 range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjwking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, I’m a newbie here. I’m not new to shooting but I am new to the world of long range shooting. I’ve been lurking around reading and trying to see what is needed. I’m currently shooting a Remington LTR .223. My wife want to get me a new scope for X-mas. I have been looking at a couple of different scopes in our price range of around $300.00. the Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm with the mil-dot reticle and the Millett buck gold series 4-16x56mm also with the mil-dot. I need some insight on what scope would be a better buy. Both of the scopes are in our price range. I have searched on here and haven’t found to much info about millett scopes. Like I said we are on a limited budget and want to spend wisely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Craig

Well, I've preached the Buckmaster sermon on here for a year or two now so..............ya, I vote Nikon.
</div></div>

I would suggest the swfa super sniper. I use my 16x out to 1000 and have had great success with it. no zero problems and pretty good glass for the $300 range

Nikon all the way. Great optics at a great price. ++++++

Do you have to keep the caps on the windage and elevation when its raining?? Also how bout with the turret kit, does that change whether or not you can always have the caps off in all weather scenarios?