• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nikon M308 No more adjustment left to properly site in scope.

brtjr2

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2013
I have just purchased a Nikon M308 Scope and mounted it on DPMS. I went to sight the gun in today and ran out of left adjustment on the turrets. I am relatively new to using this kind of scope and have not had the problem before. What can I do? Is this a defective scope? Guessing it probably something I am doing wrong and not the scope.

Thanks for any help with this.

Looks like the scope is sold with a 20moa mount -- make sure you didn't install the mount backwards (ie, the scope in the mount should be tilted slightly forward with respect to the rifle).

Might get more info in the Optics section.

He ran out of windage, so I bet something is not straight. Maybe try running the windage all the way through a couple times and see if that makes a difference. Could be stuck.

Have you tried using a known "good" scope on the rifle and mount? That could rule out a lot of things. If you have a bore sight you could probably tell a lot just from using that and not even need to waste fuel and ammo heading to the range.

I would first make sure everything is assembled correctly as Mattj said. Then make sure everything is torqued properly. I have had issues just from messing that part up before lol. How does the rifle boresight or shoot with another optic or sights?

If it was used as a demo at all, folks looking at the scope may have fiddled with the knobs, so it was not at center when you got it. Go in one direction until it stops, then count all the clicks until you reach the other stop. Now you know how many clicks to go to center. Also make sure the cross hairs are level when mounted.

The Nightforce website has some good videos that are short and simple on scope mounting.

My experience has been that the scopes nowadays are pretty centered and the mount is not aligned with the bore if you run out of adjustment. Put another scope on it, you dont have to tighten the other scope down or even fire it just bore sight it on a apple and see if the problem repeats. If the problem repeats its the mount if it doesnt its the scope.

I have a Win M70 Match 30-06 that I had to reverse one ring, to get it to not run out of windage, on the factory drilled receiver. Post 64. Was wondering why the factory Redfield peep was cranked way over, when I bought it used. Bargain price......

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going out to buy a good bore sight. I did remove the mount, which was provided by Nikon for this scope. I am thinking the mount might be the issue... and hoping it is since this is the cheaper to fix plus im not very fond of the Nikon mount anyway, only one screw to tighten down to hold the scope has me wary. I did have the mount on correctly, I was just hoping maybe it was something simple I had done or there was more adjustment that I didn't know how to get out of the scope. I did also re Zero the scope. Again thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated.