• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nips in the wire.

As for the use of gook, I heard it mainly from Vietnam War vets. But glad to hear that it has a rich history. And that we can call others gooks without fear of calling them by the wrong nationality. Let us be considerate in denigrating naming of others. Damn it! We have standards!

Technically, gook had multiple origins. One was Korean. Taken from migok. Korean word for America. Pronounced me-gook.

Also from Philippine Conflict where American troops referred to the natives and prostitutes as gooks.

Marines used it in Nicaragua, too, during Smedley Butler’s banana wars.

Became generic term… but origins are most likely Korea and Philippines.

Follow me for more un-woke racial slur etymology. Soldiers of all Armies are the best at it!! Someone could do a PhD. dissertation on the origins of names soldiers called “natives” and enemies.

Been happening since Greek times!

Sirhr
Anyone remember McHale's Navy with Ernest Borgnine, 1962-66?

It was a prime time, half-hour sitcom. I don't think the word Japanese was ever used to describe the enemy, it was always Japs and Nips.

The Greatest Generation was still pissed. In fact, I don't think they ever forgave that deal.

Reactions: Longshot231
Anyone remember McHale's Navy with Ernest Borgnine, 1962-66?

It was a prime time, half-hour sitcom. I don't think the word Japanese was ever used to describe the enemy, it was always Japs and Nips.

The Greatest Generation was still pissed. In fact, I don't think they ever forgave that deal.
Sure as hell, not many of them drove Hondas or Toyotas.

• Haha
Reactions: TexPatriot
As a foreigner on a TN visa I worked on a lot of active military bases in comifornia, brown co-workers had to show citizenship papers. I was never questioned because of my skin.

Sometimes stuff just slides

Maybe because you are Canadian, no one cares.
So many delusions of global relevance...

Sorry, Sean.

Sirhr

PS... where is @Sean the Nailer these days? Did they finally catch up to his trucker protest support and put him in Canuckistanian jail? Or is he working on his battleship model (of which I am most jealous) and no time for posting?

So many delusions of global relevance...

Sorry, Sean.

Sirhr

PS... where is @Sean the Nailer these days? Did they finally catch up to his trucker protest support and put him in Canuckistanian jail? Or is he working on his battleship model (of which I am most jealous) and no time for posting?
He posted the other day in things Dad said thread, poignant.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic