• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Nitride actions ?

troupe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2005
Greenville, NC
I notice a lot of bolts being nitrided, but no mention of doing the actions as well. Anyone know of a reason to not have the bolt as well as the action nitrided. I have used H&M for pistol work and slide to frame contact is great.

Thanks for the reply back. My action is Stainless and the bolt is carbon. Just was wanting to get them both nitrided after machining has been done and did not know if it would be a issue for nitride on both pieces. I know it does not make a difference on my 1911's so I could not see that it would be a problem.

My nucleus has a nitrided bolt and body.
It’s pretty slick even when dry and even the areas with wear don’t seem to rust at all.

Hi,

IMO you should consult the manufacturer of your action before just shipping it off for nitriding.
The temperatures nitriding is performed at is absolutely going to change the metallurgy of it.
Only they know what process(es) and grades of alloy used for the action and that can dictate what should/should not be done to it via aftermarket channels.

IMO it is the manufacturer(s) that should be handling nitriding or not nitriding; it should not be an aftermarket thing as if it is some aftermarket coating; because it is most definitely not.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

IMO you should consult the manufacturer of your action before just shipping it off for nitriding.
The temperatures nitriding is performed at is absolutely going to change the metallurgy of it.
Only they know what process(es) and grades of alloy used for the action and that can dictate what should/should not be done to it via aftermarket channels.

IMO it is the manufacturer(s) that should be handling nitriding or not nitriding; it should not be an aftermarket thing as if it is some aftermarket coating; because it is most definitely not.

Sincerely,
Theis
Agreed. Most stainlesses are changing phases at nitride temperatures. Not saying you will have an issue but is you do it's probably going to be a brittle failure and not pretty.

My Kelbly Atlas actions are all nitrided.

I used that rifle built on a Kelbly in 4 western states hunts last year, didn't even bother to wipe it down and it still cycled smooth.

Backpacked in the Kaibab and Wyo around that soft silty like powder that got everywhere, still fed like butter.

I have no qualms with the finish whatsoever.

Reactions: XLR308
Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis

Thank you for saving me the time to say exactly that.

I notice a lot of bolts being nitrided, but no mention of doing the actions as well. Anyone know of a reason to not have the bolt as well as the action nitrided. I have used H&M for pistol work and slide to frame contact is great.

You do realize that nitriding is a heat treatment that changes the metallurgy of the surface of the steel down to about .020 - .030" deep depending on the alloy and the type and duration of the nitriding process.

Reactions: XLR308
Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
I had this exact conversation with Bighorn. They were just getting into DLC’ing the actions at the time. They waved me off of nitriding and I sent my actions to them for DLC treatment. Couldn’t be happier and no worries of high temp phase changes.

I purchased actions from Defiance that they had nitrided. It would appear that they believe it is safe for their actions.

I have two Kelbly actions that are Nitride treated ( bolt and action ) that were slick and smooth straight out the box with no lube or grease.
To the OP I think you just need to look around a bit more to get your answer.
I haven't actually asked the question but my guess as to why a company would want to either DLC or Nitride the action is if you have a hard chrome moly bolt in a slightly softer stainless action it would mitigate the tendency of galling if not properly lubricated or run dirty.

Last edited:
Hi,

Nobody is saying nitriding a Defiance is NOT safe, BUT only Defiance knows what process they specify for the treatment house to do, only Defiance knows of any special request they make to the treatment house.

Sincerely,
Theis

Well, ok then 😄