• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing No Answer From Bartlein....Anybody home?

Afghanvet09

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
Holly Hill, SC
Anybody know if Bartlein is having any problems or ? I've been trying to get a barrel back since last November I sent to have cloned. Emails and phone calls since about January have not been returned. Finally gave up about a month ago on getting the clone job from them, and got the barrel job I sent them done by someone else. Only issue now is just getting the barrel (Navy Contour SPR) I sent up to have copied. Anybody got any intel? I'm starting to get ticked, and just want to make sure before I do that somebody's not in the hospital or some other problem. Now if they are too busy to care and ignoring my polite requests, that would be another issue.... thx

Re: No Answer From Bartlein....Anybody home?

Lets hope they have a decent explanation cos Im about to submit a fairly sizeable order with them and if this is the way they do business I wont be going with them.

Keep trying, they're jumping through their a$$ right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try pming frank green here on the hide. </div></div>
Who's he.

if you want navy contour MK12 barrels talk to centurion arms, monty has the EXACT barrels off the navy mk12's

I think 2 emails and one phone call would seal there fate with me after that it would be next please.

Sent PM and it's still sitting there unanswered for days. I understand being busy and all, but it only takes a sec to write someone back. Instead nothing but crickets... I've talked to Frank in the past and very knowledgeable and very helpful. Not sure what happened here.

As far as Centurion, will check this out if I need another thanks. This barrel job got filled about a month ago by another outfit,and no complaints about their barrel, rifle is done. Just now need to get the SPR Navy barrel back from Bartlein...I've been patient and I hope i hear something after this posting on the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try pming frank green here on the hide. </div></div>
Who's he. </div></div>

Frank is one of the owners

I am going to try to call again on Monday. My biggest concern is that somebody may have either lost or damaged the Navy Contour barrel I sent up. That barrel was an original turned by the same guy who did it for Crane, and I have his phone number and he'll vouch for that.

Putting myself in the shoes of Bartlein, I don't think somebody calling me if I had something of theirs once or twice a month is something I would just ignore (no matter how busy or many jobs I had), I don't think that's good business.

If it is lost, it won't be the first time I am been in this situation and the guy who "lost" (or just stole) the rifle I sent him for gunsmithing, he did not return my calls. In that situation, I had to wind up going to his house to try to get it. When he didn't have it, I left with something else of equal value.

Hope these guys are just buried in work and this is just innocent. Will update on outcome.

Called early Monday and got Frank. He was apologetic and they've been slammed with work. Before lunch, I got a tracking # on the barrel and no charge for the blasting work.

Thats great, its a pity it took a wakeup from snipers hide to get them off there arses. The problem here is that they should never allow it to get this far. And resolving it after it reaches here still isnt going to make there image appear any better. I think a complaint about a company on Snipers hide will always be very costly. Manufacturers Beware!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats great, its a pity it took a wakeup from snipers hide to get them off there arses. The problem here is that they should never allow it to get this far. And resolving it after it reaches here still isnt going to make there image appear any better. I think a complaint about a company on Snipers hide will always be very costly. Manufacturers Beware!! </div></div>

What is there to suggest that anything posted here was the reason that Bartlein barrels addressed the guy's problem?

The guy says he ultimately called up and got Frank on the phone and got things resolved.

We have bought a lot of Bartlein barrels (and right now have a whole bunch more on order - so we're a part of the problem here as companies like mine keep bludgeoning Bartlein with orders for more and more barrels) and the guys there have always been good and decent to us, and they make some of the very best barrels that can be had, and they have been absolutely on the cutting edge of recent changes in making certain premium cut rifled barrels more accessible (5R cut rifled barrels, transition rifled barrels, etc.). Trace and Frank started up their fledgling company not that many years ago with a new approach and vision, and they have had some growing pains because they have been recognized by top names in the industry for making some of the very best barrels available (all on CNC machinery they made and developed themselves). If you want their barrels you may have to put up with a little bit while they work through some of their current growing pains. In some ways it irks me when good people that are trying to do the right thing get bad press on a public forum. They're making great barrels and are apparently having trouble at keeping up with the related flood of phone calls and e-mails. Should they get a free pass for that? No, but I don't accept that public punishment is necessarily appropriate either.

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

Not sure the public punishment statement was chastising me or not but will say this for all. Original post was to find out if anyone knew about any problems, and similar experiences. I like Frank and Bartlein makes great barrels. The post was not ripping on anyone, just explained my situation and seeking facts and seeking info that might explain what was going on -- and gave the other party the benefit of the doubt. Things happen, equipment breaks, people get sick, so on...many reasons why things like this happen. I do believe it's a good business practice to communicate with your customers who have legitimate issues or questions that need answers, which is my only criticism. It isn't good public relations for any company to have anything negative put out there, but in this particular situation easily avoided here by timely communication. And I'm not the guy calling everyday to find out when my single barrel order is going to be ready and the needy type. I called a couple of times a month left messages and sent a couple of emails and just got nothing back for a couple of months. It's my property someone else has too. That can get a guy a little worried... I have no ill will or anything rotten to say about these guys. They are just real busy (i.e., happens when your service or product is in high demand). Retrospectively, my view will be time line moved too far right from original estimates to make a doable on my end, there was lapse in communication for a short time, and it took a little longer getting my barrel back than I'd like - that's about it. I'm sure all will be fine. Moving forward and thx to all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

What is there to suggest that anything posted here was the reason that Bartlein barrels addressed the guy's problem?

</div></div>
He suddenly got a reply thats what!

MedCpt

I was not trying to suggest you were doling out public punishment to Bartlein with your postings and I apologize if my posting was worded in a manner such that you felt I was suggesting that. I was responding to Mikki's posting saying "Manufacturers Beware" as if to say if customers are not happy with something they'll blast you on the forums and you will pay big time. That concept for use of the forum that way just does not sit 100% well with me. The forum is a wonderful opportunity for all of us to share information and ideas, but it can also be (and has been) abused and misused by some (and I am not referring to either you or Mikki). I don't see it to be necessarily good for the forum to be used by posters to blast a business because they had a piece of personal and private business with them and now are frustrated or angry about something.

Robert Whitley

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

</div></div>
He suddenly got a reply thats what! </div></div>

Did you even read his post? Does your brain monitor what you type? The OP called again on Monday. The phone was answered. So, what you are saying is that because of this thread the owner knew it was the OP calling and decided to field the call? Quit attempting to start something that was never intended in the first place. Bartlein is a standup company. Period. This thread is resolved. Period.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

</div></div>
He suddenly got a reply thats what! </div></div>

mikki Offline
Sergeant

Originally Posted By: scottishtornado
try pming frank green here on the hide.

Who's he.

-------------------------------------------------------------

While my reply Fu is not the best, I have tried to include 2 quotes from 'Mikki'

Sir,

Your lack of experience is truly breathtaking.

My advice? Before you start spouting off about what you would do (Like we care) get to know the personalities involved.

If Frank did not reply it was for GOOD reason (Too busy making quality barrels). Frank is one of the good guys. NO QUESTION!

The OP was actually being neutral, "Before I get ticked, is there any reason...?" was his question. IMHO He has been very calm and level headed throughout. He didn't ask you to get all indignant on his behalf.

I really hate it when Keyboard Ninjas start spouting off about the good guys when they have <span style="font-weight: bold">ABSOLUTELY</span> no experience of the individuals involved.

Have you spoken to Frank?

Thought not.

Get yourself an education, and then you might have something worth listening to.

Mmmmmm What would NOBODY say......

N

How do you know all this. For a minute there you looked like someone with a knowledge of this type of stuff until I took a look at your previous posts. If you want to get into a debate about lack of experience, you had better have a better list of previous posts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MedCpt

I was not trying to suggest you were doling out public punishment to Bartlein with your postings and I apologize if my posting was worded in a manner such that you felt I was suggesting that. I was responding to Mikki's posting saying "Manufacturers Beware" as if to say if customers are not happy with something they'll blast you on the forums and you will pay big time. That concept for use of the forum that way just does not sit 100% well with me. The forum is a wonderful opportunity for all of us to share information and ideas, but it can also be (and has been) abused and misused by some (and I am not referring to either you or Mikki). I don't see it to be necessarily good for the forum to be used by posters to blast a business because they had a piece of personal and private business with them and now are frustrated or angry about something.

Robert Whitley </div></div>I think the internet and sights such as these are absolutely invaluable in helping a customer, who would otherwise be left with no alternative, get some satisfaction out of businesses who are "too busy" to deal with their <span style="font-style: italic">customers</span>. I absolutely do not understand this "entitlement" mentlity that allows some of these manufacturers to operate the way they do. "Being too busy" is no excuse what so ever. Excusing them on that basis is not acceptable in the normal business praciices I'm experienced with, either. They are not doing us as customers a <span style="font-style: italic">favor</span> like it seems some think, rather, they're in business <span style="font-style: italic">becuase</span> of the customers. If a business wants to represent itself on one of these forums and use it to promote theier product, they better darn well understand that it's a two way street. It can work for you, and can work against you just as easily. The best way to solve the problem is to not let the problem occur in the first place.
JMO

This posting has been brought to our attention and will make a brief reply.

One we are very busy and we do apologize for not being able to get back to anyone and everyone in a timely manner. There are only two guys who cover the phones and are on it constantly.

The other thing is we feel a lot of people have forgotten our country is at War around the globe and our Service people have to come first. Several barrel makers had submitted barrels for a new guns and rebuilds etc....we where picked for one of them so far. We have been given a deadline time wise and in addition to trying to keep our customers happy the best we can we will be working 24/7 for the next several weeks until this order is completed.

We do ask for your patience and please understand we are doing the best we can to meet all of our customers needs.

Sincerely, Tracy Bartlein

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I absolutely do not understand this "entitlement" mentlity that allows some of these manufacturers to operate the way they do. "Being too busy" is no excuse what so ever. Excusing them on that basis is not acceptable in the normal business praciices I'm experienced with, either. They are not doing us as customers a <span style="font-style: italic">favor</span> like it seems some think, rather, they're in business <span style="font-style: italic">becuase</span> of the customers. If a business wants to represent itself on one of these forums and use it to promote theier product, they better darn well understand that it's a two way street.</div></div>That's what we teach our children in community college about the free market system. Unfortunately, the vaildity of that argument relies on the assumptions that there is a free market for barrels and that you are the customer.

There is no free market for barrels: no demand exists on the street corner; you can't buy one at the mall. And you can't get a Bartlein, like you can't get an Obermeyer, anywhere else. The customer on whom a barrel-maker earns the money necessary to support and run his business is, typically, a large agency or medium-sized builder. Right now, any 'smith or barrel maker worth his salt is snowed-under with large contracts - ones that enable him to make your barrel or build your gun when he has the time.

The best don't need to advertise. And few in the barrel industry can afford to run their shops according a college-texbook business model. Perhaps that's why Fank's name appears in blue on this forum. I'm not speaking for Bartlein, and I'm not saying thay the company doesn't care about the individual, because anyone involved in sport shooting knows that it does. But I am saying that, like all of us, they have to first feed themselves before they can feed us.

Tracy, it's good to see you posting under his name when Frank is otherwise occupied. I ordered a gain-twist 7mm barrel build through GAP in October, and I understand that the hold-up is with the barrel. That said, I would still rather have a Bartlein on it, and have George or Moon build it, that attempt to get a rush-job done anywhere else. I understand: It's simply the nature of the business.

There is no justification for a lack of customer regard. When a company sells a product, they are in turn buying a customer. It is unfortunate that it took all of this non sense for the man to get what he deserved.

I hate to be one that straddles the fence, but I can see both sides. I'm glad MedCpt got what he needed and never bashed Bartlein. I think he handle the situation well and was more than professional about it. My opinion of Bartlein is that their product is worth waiting for, and they're upfront that they are busy and there is a wait (they have one of my actions for truing and are providing the barrel).

And I know its a double edge sword by me replying and saying what I'm about to say, but IMO this thread has run its course. MedCpt said he was "Moving forward and thx to all". I think everyone else should to.

Just my two cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no justification for a lack of customer regard. When a company sells a product, they are in turn buying a customer. It is unfortunate that it took all of this non sense for the man to get what he deserved. </div></div>

FWIW "all of this nonsense" did nothing to get MedCpt "what he deserved" as he was taken care of by Bartlein when MedCpt called Bartlein up and got Frank on the phone, before Bartlein even knew of this thread and/or before most of this "nonsense" (and it is nonsense) even took place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This posting has been brought to our attention and will make a brief reply.

One we are very busy and we do apologize for not being able to get back to anyone and everyone in a timely manner. There are only two guys who cover the phones and are on it constantly.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Was the original order "qued" and what was the ETA on it? Can your staff link orders in your system so they know what is going on and follow up/note contact? If you don't have an effective tracking system you need one. If you do then the OP's contacts should have been noted and some follow up given. If he knew it was going to be that long it's a bit different. It sounds like his contacts were "dumped" and if that's the case it's a very bad thing.</span>

The other thing is we feel a lot of people have forgotten our country is at War around the globe and our Service people have to come first. Several barrel makers had submitted barrels for a new guns and rebuilds etc....we where picked for one of them so far. We have been given a deadline time wise and in addition to trying to keep our customers happy the best we can we will be working 24/7 for the next several weeks until this order is completed.

<span style="color: #FF0000">OTOH you accepted the order from the customer and by the sounds of it many other orders knowing backlog and the outcome of having more orders than you can process. I don't think it's the cutomers fault that he can't contact you or that you are above your reasonable production limits. I don't think it's reasonable to excuse process issues and blame the customer for not waiting until it happens. OTOH, if he knew this was going on then he accepted it from the start. </span>

We do ask for your patience and please understand we are doing the best we can to meet all of our customers needs.

Sincerely, Tracy Bartlein

</div></div>

Without the current "issues" what % of your product goes to normal users? Is it important? Is it needed?
Are you in a MFRing area with a LOT of others who are also out for the same custom?
Are there more customers in the same position as the OP was?
Maybe not a popular response but a little thought and process changes can often make a huge difference to what goes on in the future
smile.gif