• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No arca rail, doomed?

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
Got a question

With two of my bolt actions I shoot the most, Sako P94S range, and Tikka tac, I have no arca rail, I do have bit of pic rail towards the end for the quick detach bipod, QD for my sling, and I do like my SAP run and gun bags that I can strap over the top of the gun.

I’ll be ordering a tripod and hogg clamp pretty soon.

How much am I really missing out not having a bottom ARCA rail? I know I can’t slide my bipod fore and aft, but I’m thinking how many times that would have really helped.

I’m not going to mess with drilling stuff into the Sako, but I was debating maybe swapping one of these for the Tikka, however I’d now have to get another bipod as mine is pic

1614461855617.jpeg

Is being able to slide the bipod, or arca vs clamp the tripod worth it?

Got a question

With two of my bolt actions I shoot the most, Sako P94S range, and Tikka tac, I have no arca rail, I do have bit of pic rail towards the end for the quick detach bipod, QD for my sling, and I do like my SAP run and gun bags that I can strap over the top of the gun.

I’ll be ordering a tripod and hogg clamp pretty soon.

How much am I really missing out not having a bottom ARCA rail? I know I can’t slide my bipod fore and aft, but I’m thinking how many times that would have really helped.

I’m not going to mess with drilling stuff into the Sako, but I was debating maybe swapping one of these for the Tikka, however I’d now have to get another bipod as mine is pic

View attachment 7568537

Is being able to slide the bipod, or arca vs clamp the tripod worth it?

How much, how far, and why/how do you shoot?

A solid tripod, a good ARCA head and a full ARCA rail are the very best way to shoot with a tripod. Anything else is a compromise. But, it takes practice to see the full benefits.

The question is can you compromise and be happy?

I don't carry a bipod hunting and have tripod positions as stable as prone out to 900ish. They are so versatile that I practice on it constantly. For hunting, I can't imagine many situations where a tripod can't be used.

Depends on what you need or want...

Reactions: deersniper
You’ll be fine. Run what you have and only switch to ARCA if you want or you run into a situation that you think it will solve.

100% agree, run what you got and go from there.

I have Arca, I also have pic on another rifle. I have a section of rail front and rear, so the bipod or tripod can go either place. Works just as well as Arca in my opinion.

Bad pic, but is all I have on my phone.

839EB952-11FA-433B-80BF-F2895B2F43CC.jpeg

Last edited:
How much, how far, and why/how do you shoot?

A solid tripod, a good ARCA head and a full ARCA rail are the very best way to shoot with a tripod. Anything else is a compromise. But, it takes practice to see the full benefits.

The question is can you compromise and be happy?

I don't carry a bipod hunting and have tripod positions as stable as prone out to 900ish. They are so versatile that I practice on it constantly. For hunting, I can't imagine many situations where a tripod can't be used.

Depends on what you need or want...

Pre Covid hysteria ammo, I’d shoot the 308 once a week or so, 100ish rounds, right now range wise out to about 500, need to find a close longer range.

The Sako once a week, still shooting about that, 200yrds and under.

I’d say it’s shot in a more PRS style, different positions etc

The TAC A1 has M-Lok slots in the fore-end. MDT sells nice ARCA rail sections which look good and mount solidly via M-Lok. I put an 8.6" section on the first MDT chassis I had (LSS-XL gen 2) - it truly looked great and worked very well.

While I agree with the advice to run what you have - I had a TAC A1 and mounted a bipod as you do - I wouldn't be without ARCA capability now. There are just too many situations in PRS matches where the ability to place a bipod well forward, way back, or someplace in the middle comes in very handy.

If I didn't shoot matches, ARCA would become much less important... or not important at all.

I don't mess with a tripod (yet), although I've used one for decades for photography. A tripod hasn't been of great benefit in the matches I shoot (yet) as the rules have required the tripod to be folded when the clock starts, and most people find too much time is used deploying it.

My $0.02.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Honestly I’m not sold on arca for shooting and here is why on many occasions I’m just as likely to throw my game changer on my tripod and shoot of of the bag.

now what I do love my arca mount for also on a tikka tac a1 is in my shop. Honestly I don’t put my rifle on my gun bench anymore. I clip it into the tripod set it where I need it and mount scopes, clean it what ever. It give me the exact height i need and 360* access to move around the rifle.
Obviously there may be times I need a vice but most others I dont

Yep your doomed forever never to rise above mediocrity to fall short of expectations of greatness you know they sell aftermarket rails didn't you ? I jest about the other stuff area 419 makes a great rail so do many other companies all things can be fixed through the marvel of modern science even hair loss bad eye sight or sagging boobs you too can have the boobs of a 19 year old chearleader , tummy tucks and wrinkles no longer will you have to suffer alone crying in a dark corner waiting to be burned as a witch .

Yep your doomed forever never to rise above mediocrity to fall short of expectations of greatness you know they sell aftermarket rails didn't you ? I jest about the other stuff area 419 makes a great rail so do many other companies all things can be fixed through the marvel of modern science even hair loss bad eye sight or sagging boobs you too can have the boobs of a 19 year old chearleader , tummy tucks and wrinkles no longer will you have to suffer alone crying in a dark corner waiting to be burned as a witch .

Who hurt you lol

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
If you want to start shooting supported positions and master the versatility of the tripod, then you shoot enough to get into it.

All depends how you want to shoot. You can go ARCA and expand that versatility for bipod and tripod skill. Or, you can use a bag or whatnot.

You certainly don't need ARCA. Think about whether it would fit with what ypu want to be able to do.

To echo some other comments some:

For PRS matches, arca is nice for bipod positioning. Tripod, not so much for the time factor.

For NRL hunting matches and actual hunting, arca and tripod is all I use, cause carrying a bipod is unnecessary. I can shoot off a tripod or my pack in low prone. In my actual hunting, I have gone right to tripod. I can shoot moa or better out to 900 in seated tripod positions I have learned to build. Not very different than prone.

Bags are great to just flop over the tripod head and shoot. I sell bags that are great off a tripod and give plenty of support and stability, just as much as off any barricade. Its easy enough for kids to shoot.

Here are a couple of videos I did after I first started to figure it out.

20181012_102025.jpg
20181013_072510.jpg

Reactions: TurboTrout
If you want to start shooting supported positions and master the versatility of the tripod, then you shoot enough to get into it.

All depends how you want to shoot. You can go ARCA and expand that versatility for bipod and tripod skill. Or, you can use a bag or whatnot.

You certainly don't need ARCA. Think about whether it would fit with what ypu want to be able to do.

To echo some other comments some:

For PRS matches, arca is nice for bipod positioning. Tripod, not so much for the time factor.

For NRL hunting matches and actual hunting, arca and tripod is all I use, cause carrying a bipod is unnecessary. I can shoot off a tripod or my pack in low prone. In my actual hunting, I have gone right to tripod. I can shoot moa or better out to 900 in seated tripod positions I have learned to build. Not very different than prone.

Bags are great to just flop over the tripod head and shoot. I sell bags that are great off a tripod and give plenty of support and stability, just as much as off any barricade. Its easy enough for kids to shoot.

Here are a couple of videos I did after I first started to figure it out.

View attachment 7569293View attachment 7569294

Think I’ll just get the tripod and use a bag with it and start with that.
Hunting wise, frankly my old restored 30-30 with buck and peeps is about best, not many shots where I hunt over 100yrds, a few years ago between my friend and I we took more deer with our vehicles than during season lol